Nov 4 @Indianapolis
Nov 18 @Buffalo
Nov 25 Philadelphia
Dec 3 @Baltimore
Dec 9 Pittsburgh
Dec 16 N.Y. Jets
Dec 23 Miami
Dec 29 @N.Y. Giants

the Pats schedule looks pretty brutal. they will be favored in almost every game, but not many as huge favorite

[/ QUOTE ]

If they win 14 of those games they should just hand them the Lombardi Trophy.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:13 PM

Default Re: NFL Preseason Thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They did pick up Laron Landry, but not much else in the way of depth.

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement is just plain ignorant and shows a clear lack of knowledge about the Redskins offseason. If you don't know anything about what they did then just say so instead of making stuff up and hoping it rings true.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was talking about the draft. If you think picking up guys in the 5th 6th and 7th rounds is going to significantly help the team, well, god blesses you, your home, and all your fellow homers.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Season Outlook: The Vikings are a tough team to make predictions about because they unexperienced at the offensive "skill" positions but talented everywhere else. Having to play the NFC east isn't good, but the AFC west isn't the toughest division in football, even though it has two very good teams.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've taken an interest in the Vikings within the last year, mostly because of Childress (Eagles fan) and the sick rushing defense they had last year.

I was surprised they didnt go with a QB in the draft (there were plenty in the 2nd) or make some sort of contingency plan for T. Jackson. Nothing I saw last year made me think that he could be a NFL QB. Thoughts on this?
Old 07-27-2007, 05:20 PM

TEXANS

All I can say is I'm glad they signed Okoye. I look forward to seeing Super Mario, DeMeco, and Okoye in action this year on D.

Are they planning on lining up Okoye next to Mario in the 4-3?
Old 07-27-2007, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement is just plain ignorant and shows a clear lack of knowledge about the Redskins offseason. If you don't know anything about what they did then just say so instead of making stuff up and hoping it rings true.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was talking about the draft. If you think picking up guys in the 5th 6th and 7th rounds is going to significantly help the team, well, god blesses you, your home, and all your fellow homers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Plenty of viable players are picked in the late rounds.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, this isn't the NBA late round picks are very often great players. I'm not going to even start naming them because there are so many. Even if they don't turn into great players, many are excellent special teamers and great backups.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:26 PM

Whats up Fink, its Josh. Just started getting on 2 + 2 on a regular basis.

Don't know if a 49ers preview has been posted but here goes:

San Francisco

The Draft: A-

I loved what the 49ers did on draft day. They had the #11 pick and had the option of using the pick in a number of different ways (most of them defensively). When it came down to it they decided to go with an absolute monster of a LB, Patrick Willis (Miss.) Couldn't have been happier with the selection as Willis solidifies an already emerging LB corp. SF wasn't done with the 1st round however, as they decided to trade back into the 1st round and grab OT Joe Staley (Central Mich.) with the 28th pick in the first round. SF pulled off another great move by surrendering the #10 pick in the 2nd round to the Colts for their 2008 1st rounder and 4th rounder. THANK YOU COLTS. Other highlights from the draft included selecting WR Jason Hill (Wash St.) with our 3rd round selection (A speedy receiver with height) and CB Tarell Brown (Texas) with one of our 5th round selections. Brown slipped quite a ways because of his character issues. Nolan and the staff feel he is the type of guy they can turn around and use as a nickel back.

All in all, great draft for SF as they addressed problems along both lines and added an absolute stud in Patrick Willis.

Offseason: A

Hard to argue with an offseason in which 6 starters were added to a team coming off a 7-9 year that surprised a lot of people. Our most glorified free agent signing, Nate Clements, will come in and contribute right away to a secondary that had become the worst in the league. Add to that the addition of Michael Lewis at safety, Aubrayo Franklin as a 3-4 interior lineman and Tully Banta-Cain as an outside passrusher and the 49ers defense that once upon a time surrendered over 400 points last season does not look so bad.

Alex Smith will also get some help with the addition of Darrell Jackson (often criticized for dropping balls) and speedster Ashley Lelie.

2007 Outlook: Can't say i'm liking all the attention San Francisco is getting as a "sleeper" team this year (anyone remember what happened to Arizona last year?). But this division is ripe for the taking and the 49ers took 3 of 4 from the Rams/Seahawks tandem last year. Vernon Davis will be the go to guy for Alex this year as he missed a lot of time last year with a cracked bone in his leg. I don't think the departure of Norv Turner will be quite as big a loss as some are predicting as Jim Hostler (formerly the QB coach) steps in as Offensive Coordinator. Greg Manusky, formerly the LB coach at San Diego will take over as Def. Coordinator for the 49ers as well. O, and if i didn't already mention, Nolan will be bringing back the suit for all 8 home games this year, which can only mean good things.

PREDICTION: 10-6, NFC WEST CHAMPIONS
Old 07-27-2007, 05:28 PM

Michael Strahan fails to report to camp, mulls retirement

whoops.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I had this argument with Fink alot last year. The Eagles defense is relying on their reputation. They are no longer the great defense they were. They don't stink by any means, I just think that they are going to continue to decline and that Eagles fans will have problems seeing it because of how good they have been for so many years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed 100% that this defense is nowhere near as talented as the 2001, 2002, 2003 groups. Tough to say what direction they will go, as there are a lot of young players that the Eagles are relying on to contribute. But in a few years, Dawkins will be gone, which will be gigantic. I do think that this defense has the capability to be a top 10 defense, but it wouldn't shock me if they weren't, much like last year.

D

PS One more note on the Redskins - the reason I doubt them is mostly because of Dan Snyder and how much he undervalues draft picks. In 06', they had no 1, 3, or 4. In 05', no 2 or 3. In 04' no 2 or 4. This has to have an effect on the team's ability to improve from year to year.

I will say this - the picks that they have made have been good. I think they have more potential than the Giants this year b/c of players like Campbell and Landry, who could improve dramatically.

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems about right. The last 3 years they have been about the same in DVOA, with 01 and 02 being their peak.

2006 11
2005 10
2004 12
2003 15
2002 3
2001 4
2000 13
Old 07-27-2007, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, this isn't the NBA late round picks are very often great players. I'm not going to even start naming them because there are so many. Even if they don't turn into great players, many are excellent special teamers and great backups.

[/ QUOTE ]

How people make these posts on a poker site are beyond me. I'd come up with some awful analogies to demonstrate my point, but I'm too lazy.

If 'many are excellent special teamers or great backups' - they can't be that great, can they? I mean, if all these teams are finding all these great players - they must all be super valuable right? The NFL must be exploding with value!

I'm aware that this is not the NBA - I'm not much of an NBA fan. However, while late round picks have gone on to be great players in the NFL, they don't often do, and there is a falloff from round to round.