Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: As played, action on turn?
Bet 78 80.41%
Check 19 19.59%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-23-2007, 07:02 PM

Default Re: Do you win at 6/12 at the Bay 101?

[ QUOTE ]
Do I need to be better than 80% of the players in order to win?

[/ QUOTE ]

if your asking this question it sounds like your really looking for a psychiatrist to make you feel better, rather than working on improving your game. My answer is loaded for a reason... its designed to make you look within for the answer.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
..snip.. Figure out what else is costing you money, that is your fault.

Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

This I have been trying for quite awhile. Maybe a coach is the only way that I am going to get an answer. Because if I raise with, say AA, LP and do not fold regardless of the board (unless 4 flush or 4 straight) I think it was the right play to make. A coach might think it is a leak.

This belongs in the straegy thread - my experiece is that 90% of the time I am raised after I have raised preflop I am beat. I need to figure out when to fold.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if your asking this question it sounds like your really looking for a psychiatrist to make you feel better, rather than working on improving your game. My answer is loaded for a reason... its designed to make you look within for the answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

A little ZEN there huh TT [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks - I really do not care to feel better. I am not a feel good guy. My goal is to beat the game. The way we measure that is by how much money we make at the game. I am competitive and naturally aggressive. I like to win and hate to lose like everyone else.

I just want to figure how. I have been give some good advice so far and I plan to heed it.

If I want to feel better I will have some BV wine [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] and mellow out. The Poker Mindset is for the mind. SSH is for the bankroll.

edit - actually it is not the money since that varies it is if we played the hand correctly. First, we have to know the correct play and second, make it.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe a coach is the only way that I am going to get an answer. Because if I raise with, say AA, LP and do not fold regardless of the board (unless 4 flush or 4 straight) I think it was the right play to make. A coach might think it is a leak.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you need a coach.

You really need to go back to SSHE man. The book is that good. I've played 3/6 and 100/200 at Bay101, and I still reread SSHE every ~2 months. It's that good.

Think of it as that core expository writing course in college that every1 has to take, no one takes seriously, but probably gives them the most knowledge that they can use in their day-to-day lives after college.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe a coach is the only way that I am going to get an answer. Because if I raise with, say AA, LP and do not fold regardless of the board (unless 4 flush or 4 straight) I think it was the right play to make. A coach might think it is a leak.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you need a coach.

You really need to go back to SSHE man. The book is that good. I've played 3/6 and 100/200 at Bay101, and I still reread SSHE every ~2 months. It's that good.

Think of it as that core expository writing course in college that every1 has to take, no one takes seriously, but probably gives them the most knowledge that they can use in their day-to-day lives after college.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks - That is the advice I have been getting to day. And even better I asked Ed Miller if he would give me a stragey for 3/6 and he gave me a great reply that suplements his book. SSH is on my desk and I refer to it often. Now I need to master it before I play another session.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:31 PM

fwiw, I question some of your data threeducks. I think your standard deviation calculation may be a little cracked. I've kept close track this year of my 600+ hrs at Commerce, Hawaiian Gardens and MGM. 2/4 - 4/8 and O/8 games. The standard deviations in terms of BB/hr. range from a low of 3.9BB/hr. @ 2/4 to a high of 7.128BB/hr. @ Commerce's 4/8 game which has a reputation for high variance. None of these games approach the 10+BB/hr. variance you report. Perhaps you are reporting BB/session and not per hour? If not, I don't know how your games can be this wild and still have "rake" problems. Something does not add up.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A little ZEN there huh TT [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks - I really do not care to feel better. I am not a feel good guy. My goal is to beat the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then stop asking questions you would ask a poker psychiatrist, stop talking about if its possible to win at the 6/12 game, stop responding to this thread, and get started with your studying!
Old 07-23-2007, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My advice would be to take a month off of playing, only focus on learning and reading for 30 days - then return. Self Improvement!

[/ QUOTE ]

that's too extreme. Studying with zero playing is like practicing your breast stroke on dry land. You can only get so good. OP should maybe take SOME time off, but the main thing is to have a good balance between studying and playing.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks - I have played at AJ in San Bruno on the 6/12 tables. They have a bet and 4 raises so the pots can get big. I did okay there a few times but for 55 hours my win rate is the same as Bay 101. They also have BBJ. I live in the east bay and have not been to Lucky Chances in years.

I change tables at the Bay 101 when the table goes crazy. I do better on average tables, 3-5 players to the flop and 1 raise. I can not seem to win when there is 6-7 players to the flop and its capped. Putting in 4 bets to see the flop against 6 players is a loser IMHO. Nice odds thougth and big pots but the swings are murder.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel the same way, but I've discovered that is all psychology and doesn't match the reality of the situation. When you are in a game with 6-8 to the flop your percentage of pots that you win goes way down so it feels like you are losing a lot more than you are otherwise and you have more and longer losing streaks during a session. However the pots you win when you do when them are huge and it more than makes up for all you have lost making a very profitable situation.

The experience of being in a game like that is typically losing pots for several hours and then winning a huge pot and when you win two or three huge pots you wind up with a big win.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
fwiw, I question some of your data threeducks. I think your standard deviation calculation may be a little cracked. I've kept close track this year of my 600+ hrs at Commerce, Hawaiian Gardens and MGM. 2/4 - 4/8 and O/8 games. The standard deviations in terms of BB/hr. range from a low of 3.9BB/hr. @ 2/4 to a high of 7.128BB/hr. @ Commerce's 4/8 game which has a reputation for high variance. None of these games approach the 10+BB/hr. variance you report. Perhaps you are reporting BB/session and not per hour? If not, I don't know how your games can be this wild and still have "rake" problems. Something does not add up.

[/ QUOTE ]

The rake problem is small pots. Not every pot is a big pot. Also, many of my sessions a very short (average is 3.6). I lose a rack ($200) and I leave under 2 hours; like 3 bad beats in a row and wham I leave. This causes a large STDEV. If I play longer my STDEV is lower. This month my STDEV is $80/12=6.6bb. My largest ever winning sesion is $1200 and my largest ever losing session is $1300. Session STDEV is $308.

You have to realize that the STDEV is all years - I used to be a worse player.

I am using Statking to generate the hourly win and the standard deviation.

I suck at poker.

So, I am trying to decide to give it up or keep trying. Thus the questions. The advice so far is to study SSHE.

Luckily, I won a $35,100 bad beat jackpot so I have money to play with. It is about 1/2 gone but I do not want to continue donating at a $11/hr of play.