Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2007, 02:32 AM

Default Re: Thoughts on the WSOP FT

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Chad's stuff is simple, but it's usually not wrong. He's like Poker 101.

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf - he's wrong all the time. "i can't believe he's going all in on a draw lon". he says that alone like 3 times per edisode.

i also don't get gordon. like was he always such a douchebag? don't i remember his seeming likeable a few years back? he allegedly "has everything" yet he's so insecure and bitter. i think he must be gay or have some other deep dark secret.

and yang definitely rules. he was the best player at the table and he's hilarious. (lol lee watkinson).

this isn't super relevant, but i told diablo this the other day and wanted to share with you all! hachem is by far a bigger dbag than gold ever was - i still don't get the gold hate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough on Chad. I'm a bigger fan of his than most are I think.

Gordon was fine the last two years. Between this and that little spat with Lindgren on HSP or whatever "insecure and bitter" seems dead on.

Gold seems like a guy with a few like native douchebag traits who wants to be a nice guy, but sometimes kinda self-owns.

Based on what I've read in NVG, there's a few stories about Hatchem being pretty caustic and whiney at the tables. Is that what you're referring to?
Old 07-19-2007, 02:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
WRT to decision making, anybody who has ever been at a big money final table can fully understand this.

you are dealing with so much excitement and adrenaline and pressure...as well as having played with these guys for many many hours/days. you need to be very deliberate with your decisions/actions and also think every single thing through before you do it.

they were all smart enough to do that.

sometimes you may have an obvious fold on your hand. but other times you might be thinking about how to play this flopped OESD, or set or whatever. you want to make sure that to your opponents, all of these look exactly the same.

contrary to what most online players think, you can pick up a load of information live

[/ QUOTE ]

Relative to almost every other televised final table I've seen, these guys were sloooooooooooooooow. Nobody expects a ton of snap calls and what not, but this was over the top, especially in spots where there really was no decision to make. Yang had a push back to him getting like 5:1 or something, holding 2nd pair top kicker vs. a short stack and tanked for 5 minutes.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:53 AM

JC,

Any reported plans to kidnap a child-bride?
Old 07-19-2007, 03:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I find it pretty pathetic to read a rant like this based on zero knowledge of the facts. (I have no knowledge of the facts either, and have reserved opinion pending same.)

The charities he has pledged to are general public charities. Yang is a Hmong with a very large extended family. The Hmong are well known for family loyalty and sharing. Based on my general knowledge of the Hmong culture, I would expect him to be very generous to any needy relatives. Until I hear one way or the other, I have no opinion and make no judgment about him.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok fair enough. i don't have the right to judge him in advance as i don't know what he will do. i still think it's equally unjust for him to receive a robin hood style media portrayal in advance when they don't know what he will do either, other than the one thing he has pledged to do, which isn't that much.

and i would have assumed anyone who suddenly came into multiple millions of dollars would take care of "needy relatives", i don't see how it warrants mainstream media glorification.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:35 AM

Location: My Avatar is Cursed for my Teams. Please don\'t curse my burger.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Who is Oliver Tse?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showpr...ge=1&topic=

[/ QUOTE ]

Recent post that seems relevant to your question:

"Hilm and Kravchenko are my clients for the WSOP Main Event ONLY." - oliver

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf avatar?
Old 07-19-2007, 06:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Re: RaiNKhAN

Anyone else think he could make an absolute killing if he traveled the country and hit up a bunch of "Guess Your Age" booths at various amusement parks and carnivals? Imagine how many stuffed animals he could get! Seriously, oldest looking 22-year-old ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get some new material.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-19-2007, 09:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i think it's pretty pathetic that a 10% pledge by yang would result in him being painted as some sort of charitably driven figure.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, that bastard.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
hachem is by far a bigger dbag than gold ever was

[/ QUOTE ]
Please explain.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:44 AM

WRT to decision making time, I'm in the "these guys aren't there for our entertainment" camp. They are amateurs trying to make complicated decisions for millions of dollars, cut them some slack.

(now I would love to know what they were actually thinking about, but that's a different story).

and sometimes, they make very difficult decisions look easy. take the Rain 33 vs Kravchenkos KJ UTG push hand. Rahme folded AQ pretty quickly in the BB, even though that should have been a very, very close decision. A thinking player who bothers to think about hand ranges, pot equity, and tournament equity should have thought a lot harder there.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"Chad's strat advice and observations are MUCH better than Gordon's."

its fun to rag on gordon but i have no idea how you could honestly think this dids.

i watched a few hours worth, it was pretty entertaining. needed more guys like hellmuth in the booth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Neither Gordon nor Chad are good, but Gordon is better. Norman Chad hardly knows how to play poker, while Gordon simply thinks he's a lot better than he really is.

Despite my dislike of zealotry, I think Yang's win might've been a good thing. Is anyone else hoping Yang's win brings some hardcore Christians into the poker economy? Dudes who rely on luck and prayer to win?

I was surprised at how the experienced players failed to adjust to Yang. Despite making several mistakes (many of which gave him an incredible metagame edge, actually) he seriously outplayed everyone at the table. He was unreadable, fearless, tilt free, and aggressive. It was obvious about 4 hours into the final table that no one wanted to tangle with him at all. He created an unbluffable, no fold image that terrified the rest of the table.