Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007, 01:12 PM

Default Re: Strange...I never thought of God showing his power via a suckout l

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
thread hijacked by radical Christian-bashing atheists ...

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks cus I wouldnt have had the stones to say it so bluntly
Old 07-18-2007, 01:13 PM

i kind of feel bad - poor god was up there, probably trying to get some real work done all night, and this "faithful" follower of his kept chiming in with prayers for cards to fall. so he had to take time out of his busy schedule to quickly rearrange the deck over and over again. i wonder what countless poor souls suffered last night, and how, because god kept getting interrupted to rig a poker game???
Old 07-18-2007, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
His boast of giving away 10% is hardly worth noting, imo. I think most people would give away 10% to various worthy causes if they won.

[/ QUOTE ]
i'm going to have to disagree with you there, on both counts.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think giving away 10% of your income is noteworthy, we'll just disagree.

In my second point, I'm talking about any variety of worthy causes; ill or needy family; ill or needy friends; charity; etc.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lol at the guys in this thread and the others back slapping one another in recognition of their incredible wit. Sure, it's very easy to mock the guy for many of the atheists and know-it-all-children on this board(only dipsh*ts have faith, right?), but realize he friggin escaped the Communists in Laos and made it to America. Pretty damn good reason to have faith in God. Maybe you can forgive him his over exuberance, and appreciate his pleasant and apparently charitable nature.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen to this post. I'm not a religious person, but I am spiritual. I know that there are greater forces at work in this universe. Did they help Mr. Yang win? I can't say that, but I'm sure glad that someone who apparently has an open heart and is generous with his money won the tournament. Why is this a bad thing? So he said some ridiculous things during the final table. If it puts his mind at ease, who cares? He's not hurting anyone. I'd rather sit with a kind, charitable, religious guy than some know-it-all a$$hole, like that young, arrogant punk in last years tourney, who criticized everyone else at the table non-stop. Unfortunately (and this is why I don't post here often) more people on these boards are like the young punk than the religious guy; they just love to pat themselves on the back and mock everyone else for how stupid they are. It's quite ironic, since a lot of spiritual people do the same thing to non-believers.

I always find it fascinating how some of those w/o faith not only relish in their lack of faith, but feel the need to belittle and put down everyone that believes in anything that might crack open their fragile little egg shelled mind. I used to be one of those people, constantly mocking anyone religious, especially Christians (many are so misguided, they make such easy targets.) Looking back, I was just another example of ignorant people fearing that which they don't understand. I've seen enough strange "coincidences" in my life to know that there are definitely greater forces at work that we don't fully comprehend. Whether you want to call it God, Jesus, Allah, Buddha, Vishnu, Brahman, Jah, or Joey Joe Joe Junior Shabadoo doesn't really matter; they're all just different names for the same thing.

For people looking for a more scientific explanation of God (aren't we all?), I would recommend "The Holographic Universe", by Michael Talbot, or "Science and the Akashic Field" , by Ervin Laszlo. They might not change your mind, but hopefully you'll gain a greater understanding and tolerance of people who realize there is more to life than this basic, physical realm. Who knows, it might even make you a better poker player.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know that there are greater forces at work in this universe....I've seen enough strange "coincidences" in my life to know that there are definitely greater forces at work that we don't fully comprehend.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-18-2007, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
lol at the guys in this thread and the others back slapping one another in recognition of their incredible wit. Sure, it's very easy to mock the guy for many of the atheists and know-it-all-children on this board(only dipsh*ts have faith, right?), but realize he friggin escaped the Communists in Laos and made it to America. Pretty damn good reason to have faith in God. Maybe you can forgive him his over exuberance, and appreciate his pleasant and apparently charitable nature.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen to this post. I'm not a religious person, but I am spiritual. I know that there are greater forces at work in this universe. Did they help Mr. Yang win? I can't say that, but I'm sure glad that someone who apparently has an open heart and is generous with his money won the tournament. Why is this a bad thing? So he said some ridiculous things during the final table. If it puts his mind at ease, who cares? He's not hurting anyone. I'd rather sit with a kind, charitable, religious guy than some know-it-all a$$hole, like that young, arrogant punk in last years tourney, who criticized everyone else at the table non-stop. Unfortunately (and this is why I don't post here often) more people on these boards are like the young punk than the religious guy; they just love to pat themselves on the back and mock everyone else for how stupid they are. It's quite ironic, since a lot of spiritual people do the same thing to non-believers.

I always find it fascinating how some of those w/o faith not only relish in their lack of faith, but feel the need to belittle and put down everyone that believes in anything that might crack open their fragile little egg shelled mind. I used to be one of those people, constantly mocking anyone religious, especially Christians (many are so misguided, they make such easy targets.) Looking back, I was just another example of ignorant people fearing that which they don't understand. I've seen enough strange "coincidences" in my life to know that there are definitely greater forces at work that we don't fully comprehend. Whether you want to call it God, Jesus, Allah, Buddha, Vishnu, Brahman, Jah, or Joey Joe Joe Junior Shabadoo doesn't really matter; they're all just different names for the same thing.

For people looking for a more scientific explanation of God (aren't we all?), I would recommend "The Holographic Universe", by Michael Talbot, or "Science and the Akashic Field" , by Ervin Laszlo. They might not change your mind, but hopefully you'll gain a greater understanding and tolerance of people who realize there is more to life than this basic, physical realm. Who knows, it might even make you a better poker player.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, there is a HUGH difference in being spiritual and having a belief in Jesus Christ. To everyone reading this, please don't confuse the two...

[ QUOTE ]
For people looking for a more scientific explanation of God (aren't we all?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm. I don't know how scientific you are looking for but this isn't possible. That's why it's called faith.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:09 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I know that there are greater forces at work in this universe....I've seen enough strange "coincidences" in my life to know that there are definitely greater forces at work that we don't fully comprehend.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Kid, I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other, and I've seen a lot of strange stuff. But I've never seen anything to make me believe that there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field that controls MY destiny.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ummm. I don't know how scientific you are looking for but this isn't possible. That's why it's called faith.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well exactly. If people say "It's my faith, I don't need to prove it to anyone", I'm cool with that. You're not supposed to be able to prove it.

Yang sounds like a nice guy, and I would think that all of what he said during the hands was spontaneous, not really thought out and just an emotional reaction to an extremely stressful situation. Some of us are just having a bit of fun with the logical extensions of it, it's not "religion bashing" or "hate" IMO, or at least I didn't mean it to be.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is definitely the worst "O RLY?" I've seen.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:31 PM

whatev - 10% to charity... he can write that off on his taxes, meaning that he's giving up NONE of his profit. If he ends up being a hypocrite about this, I'm pretty sure he'll go to hell.

I really hope God doesn't care about stuff like this. Then again, Jesus rode a donkey into jerusalem didn't he? At least he'll have a well-heeled one for his second coming...