Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007, 07:02 PM

Default Re: Is Rec.Gambling.Poker still worth reading?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So its glory days were probably the mid-1980s, when it was just Chris Ferguson talking to himself...

[/ QUOTE ]

rgp saw its peak just as the internet was being invented

[/ QUOTE ]

Ferguson was one of the first people in the world to play poker online, in a primitive form. I believe this was in the 1980s. He talked about it in a recent interview, in Cardplayer I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't Stop Believing

but the internet wasn't available to the layman until circa 1992.

It's fun to try remembering what other common items were not so common in 1992? Besides cell phones (or even pagers), laptops, PDAs, DVDs, etc etc
Old 07-18-2007, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So its glory days were probably the mid-1980s, when it was just Chris Ferguson talking to himself...

[/ QUOTE ]

rgp saw its peak just as the internet was being invented

[/ QUOTE ]

Ferguson was one of the first people in the world to play poker online, in a primitive form. I believe this was in the 1980s. He talked about it in a recent interview, in Cardplayer I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't Stop Believing

but the internet wasn't available to the layman until circa 1992.

It's fun to try remembering what other common items were not so common in 1992? Besides cell phones (or even pagers), laptops, PDAs, DVDs, etc etc

[/ QUOTE ]

True - but as a Californian postgrad Ferguson was perfectly located, intellectually as well as geographically, to be a very early adapter. It says here he played IRC poker as far back as 1989:

http://poker.about.com/od/playerprof...isferguson.htm
Old 07-18-2007, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
True - but as a Californian postgrad Ferguson was perfectly located, intellectually as well as geographically, to be a very early adapter. It says here he played IRC poker as far back as 1989:

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and thank you for conceding my point that the very late 80's and early 90's are in fact - not - the mid 80's.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and thank you for conceding my point that the very late 80's and early 90's are in fact - not - the mid 80's.

[/ QUOTE ]

z

z
zz
z

The post of mine you responded to was a quick joke, not an attempt to write a historical record.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:36 PM

RGP had some absolutely epic threads in its time, as or better than the best of 2p2. But its unmoderated nature is reflective of the unregulated free market, and it has basically sunk into anarchy. In the days when the number of posters were limited, the quality of discourse was very high -- DN, Abdul Jalib, PaulP, Carson, and even my nemesis William Coleman (who, though crazy, is supersmart and very articulate). Now, it's mostly politics, flaming, spam, and occasional analysis by people who don't know much.

It's frustrating to have watched its decline. Some of the threads (the 44 limit hold 'em thread, the PaulP v. Andrei thread) I can remember from 5+ years ago. And some of the humor at Russ G's expense (PolkaMafia) was hysterically funny. Some of the abuse/gossip threads were quite good as well.

But it's now almost not useful at all. I do miss it.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:46 AM

I loved RGP. It could be hysterical as well as informative. There weren't thousands and thousands of posts and you could read every post every day.

It was more like a family.

Oh well, rest in peace.