Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2007, 05:13 PM

Default Re: Knife VS Bat, who wins?

Um one arm can block/absorb a full-power bat swing from an MLB player (it may shatter your arm, but you'll be alive) while giving you plenty of time to close the distance and stab the other person in the throat/chest/eyes/face/stomach with the knife. I'd rather fight with a bat on the street, but in a fight to the death the guy with the bat is going to get killed first, all other things being equal.

And you people saying "I can hit you X times with the bat before you get close" ... the length difference is what, 2 feet max? You will not be able to swing, pull back and swing again in the time it takes me to move 2 feet and stab you.

If this is like, "some guy comes to jump you on the street, what would you rather have?" I'd take a bat for the obvious reasons. But for the "easiest way to kill someone" (assume it would take at least 2, probably several, direct hits to the skull to kill a person unless you're incredibly strong, and because of the shape of a bat it's relatively easy to deflect/block/protect your skull from a direct bat hit) whereas it takes only one slice to the throat, stab under the jaw, stab in the heart/central chest, gouge of the stomach, etc to kill someone with a knife.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:17 PM

mbille,

You're right that it will take multiple hits to kill someone with a bat, but I bet it only takes 1 or two hits before the person with the knife is hurt enough that he won't be able to do any stabbing.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I love how everyone seems to think the vast majority of people wouldn't be reduced to a cowering, whimpering mess after taking a bat to the forearm or ribcage.

[/ QUOTE ]

If your life was on the line, you'd rise to the occasion. Bat hitting your ribcage would be pretty stupid.

Picture you're protecting your child if not yourself. Now, does a broken arm stop you from sinking a knife into someone's neck or torso?

You can even get kicked in the balls and keep fighting for a good while.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:20 PM

Klompy,

I dunno what kind of MLB players you all fancy yourselves being, but you aren't landing multiple bat blows in the time it takes a normal person to close and strike even with a fist. One strong swing that can be blocked/deflected with an arm (if it's at the head, otherwise the damage--while severe--will not be fatal) and then the range will be closed.

This is why, for anyone who's ever taken martial arts training, you can't study just muay thai and expect to win a street fight. Closing range is the easiest thing to do in a fight and it's silly to think because you have a bat you'll be able to prevent that from happening.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
mbille,

You're right that it will take multiple hits to kill someone with a bat, but I bet it only takes 1 or two hits before the person with the knife is hurt enough that he won't be able to do any stabbing.

[/ QUOTE ]

If a guy with a bat gets multiple strikes on you in a life and death situation before you can even get one serious stab or slice in, he has completely dominated you anyway and whatever weapon he held was almost irrelevant.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I love how everyone seems to think the vast majority of people wouldn't be reduced to a cowering, whimpering mess after taking a bat to the forearm or ribcage.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a fight to the death (which I assume means both combatants know it's a fight to the death going into it) so I don't think cowering and wimpering is very likely from most people actually. Also, it's not terribly difficult to deflect/absorb in a tolerable way/etc a blow from a bat in a way that won't destroy your forearm. You can't absorb a knife blade to the throat.

If it's sword vs knife it's a little different. But no way in a fight TO THE DEATH you stand a better chance against an otherwise equal opponent with a bat. It's just too difficult to kill someone with a bat.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
mbille,

[/ QUOTE ]

If a guy with a bat gets multiple strikes on you in a life and death situation before you can even get one serious stab or slice in, he has completely dominated you anyway and whatever weapon he held was almost irrelevant.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand where the assumption comes in that it's easier to block a bat with your arm then it is to stop someone from stabbing you?
Old 07-09-2007, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
people who are picking bat, please state your weapons training/martial arts experience. thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]10th level black belt in Bat Fu.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
mbille,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, the conditions for this fight are two otherwise equal combatants. A one-handed bat swing is going to be only moderately more powerful than a punch; any serious damage will be done two handed. Any remotely coordinated person could close to striking distance with a knife after absorbing at most one bat swing. And a fatal blow can be one-handed and on the first try with a knife. While both of the bat-swingers hands are on the bat he leaves open his face/throat and chest/stomach. All the knife wielder has to do is 1) be fairly accurate with his strikes and 2) manage not to die on the first bat swing, which is almost guaranteed from anyone with any sort of rudimentary martial arts training / common sense / survival instinct.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand where the assumption comes in that it's easier to block a bat with your arm then it is to stop someone from stabbing you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because if you're fighting with a knife you have 1 hand free to block, if you're swinging a bat you have 0 hands free to block. Also a bat swing follows a much more predictable path than a knife.