Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > About the Forums
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 12:35 AM

Default Re: Politics Forum Split

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I would really like to encourage more Current Events topics in the Lounge forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just so we're clear, you're talking about political current events (debates, possible scandals, etc) right? I suppose if you and Carter are willing to allow things like that in your house then it could be a sort of test run as to how much interest is truely present on the topic.

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

Cody,

Yes, as diebitter stated we do allow political threads in the Lounge. Threads covering the debates and possible scandals seem like fine topics to me as long as the OP is not stupid. Personally I'm interested in other people's views on the debates and candidates. I have a bunch of questions.

All we ask in the lounge is that our forum members be courteous and respectful towards each other.

Posts of this nature

[ QUOTE ]
waaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh
waaaaaaahhhh
wahhhhhhhhh

[/ QUOTE ]

would be, well, kind of frowned on [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

Katy,
Ok, that's cool. I understand the general "mood" of TLDR so I wasn't hoping for any especially protracted/heated debates as I think they'd probably be a little to "Wahhhhh" for TLDR's readers.

That said, I don't think that all political debate has to be that way, and maybe there's room for a little 2008 talk in there. WHo knows.

Everyone,
Something interesting. In the threads in Poly and the thread here, there seems to be a large "who cares" sentiment from "Poly-outsiders". This is largely, I assume, because of the forums rocky history. However, there is also a large "NO" vote, but it's coming almost exclusivly from ACists. My gut feeling is that they see themselves as being relegated to another forum so that they can be ignored. I would certainly hope that they poly theory forum wouldn't be 100% AC v. State but either way, the outcry from the ACists says something.

Cody
Old 07-04-2007, 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It takes a lot of time to participate, and the constant AC hijacking makes it pretty unreadable.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
The only political theory topics that come up are things like "How does gravity work under AC" or "Why can't I buy a Whopper without the STATE breathing down my back?". Any political theory topics that are not about AC, quickly degrade into arguments about AC.

[/ QUOTE ]

You yourself started a thread about AC. In this thread you become obtuse to the point where you demand clarification on the word "do".

Then you come here and complain about all the AC threads and the unreadability of the board.

Also I can't remember seeing you before on the Politics board, and then you come here saying things as though you are a regular and your opinion should be weighed strongly because of your integrity and honesty.

This seems incredibly disingenuous and hypocritical to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I started a thread today in poltics for the first time in at least a year; it has probably been a lot longer. Since there is a different crowd now than back when I frequented the forum, I wanted to see if things were different than before.

After a quick skimming of the front two pages, you seem to be the only one trying to derail topics, so it would seem that it isn't as bad as before.

As for the "it depends on how you define "do", it obviously was not a serious response. Your inane questions that have no relevance on the topic were met with similarly inane answers.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:35 AM

Cmon guys, all the non-poker forums are really "Other". The point of splitting forums is so that the people who are there for the primary purpose aren't distracted by random crap. Politics AND Political Theory on a poker forum? Let's not miss the forest for the trees.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You yourself started a thread about AC. In this thread you become obtuse to the point where you demand clarification on the word "do".

Then you come here and complain about all the AC threads and the unreadability of the board.

Also I can't remember seeing you before on the Politics board, and then you come here saying things as though you are a regular and your opinion should be weighed strongly because of your integrity and honesty.

This seems incredibly disingenuous and hypocritical to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. I've put up with a lot of blatant politrolls, and XxGodJrxX is the first one I've actually bothered to put on ignore.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Another Idea is just having one thread that all the Acists could post in to their hearts delight (since politics is such a low traffic forum afterall), and freeing up the rest of the forum for discussion of current political events that is actually interesting. Just an idea though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting for you. Apparently, nobody else felt that way, which is why you're now modding in siberia.

Will vbulliten allow us to ignore mods? Now that I've actually started using it, I am actually a bit disappointed I hadn't started sooner.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:22 PM

pvn,

So maybe jman's should get a new custom title of "please to be released from the gulag?".
Old 07-04-2007, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Another Idea is just having one thread that all the Acists could post in to their hearts delight (since politics is such a low traffic forum afterall), and freeing up the rest of the forum for discussion of current political events that is actually interesting to me. Just an idea though.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Seriously, it's obvious that the majority of posters in Politics do find the AC discussions interesting, which is why they continue.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is it so hard for you loonies to understand that this is because you've driven the sane people away?
Old 07-04-2007, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is it so hard for you loonies to understand that this is because you've driven the sane people away?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-04-2007, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are sane people that talk politics on teh internets?
Old 07-04-2007, 04:16 PM

It easily becomes theoretical because we live so many different places, so there aren't really so many events that most posters relate to, except some global themes like Iraq, Iran, oil prices, global warming, Israel etc. that affects everyone. I can't really write that the US should get stricter gun controls (it gets rude almost) or discuss the upcoming debate about it in the US congress, but I can write my opinions wrt which principles I think a society should be built upon wrt distribution of the right to use force and I can also point out that there are cities that have successfully implemented strict gun controls without comprosing lawful citizens' safety and thus offer the perspective that even if it has been a failure in the US it has been a success in some other regions (thus adding some international perspective to the debate). Thereby the foundation for a discussion about international best practice can be laid down (although that sadly rarely takes place in this forum or anywhere else in the world) and ultimately a discussion about which other elements needs to be in place to successfully implement best practice.

The best practice or what works vs what doesn't work-discussions are hard to have with AC'ists as they aren't really looking for that. Their philosophy is based upon principles mainly, principles they hold higher than pragmatism. Nothing wrong with that, it is just a different wavelength than most persons are on.
Closed Thread