Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2007, 07:11 PM

Default Re: sicko

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
my problem with a private health care system is that it just doesn't seem to be an efficient method of distributing resources-in this case medical care.

[/ QUOTE ]

unfortunately, medical care isn't some static value resource. It's a market driven thing. New methods, new tools, better doctors, are all fostered when there's something to gain.

[/ QUOTE ]

A government that pays doctors and for equipment doesn't preclude that.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it just guarantees that everything will suck.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:20 PM

The thing about medical care is that if you need it, you actually need it. It's not like a car where you can go out and spend a month visiting 10 different dealers and negotiating the price down. If you have a health problem you don't have the luxury of bargaining, and the providers know that so they exploit it to overcharge or price-fix. Health care is a much much larger industry than car sales, but when was the last time you saw a doctor advertising on TV? They don't need to becaue people will take what they can get and pay any price for it. The insurance industry doesn't help matters because it promotes that sort of thinking.

You know the health care in this country is broken when you get refused medical care because you're not insured. When I hurt my hand I had difficulty even finding a doctor close by and when I did, they wouldn't see me when I said I didn't have insurance. I guess 10k in the bank isn't enough for an x-ray these days.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The thing about medical care is that if you need it, you actually need it. It's not like a car where you can go out and spend a month visiting 10 different dealers and negotiating the price down. If you have a health problem you don't have the luxury of bargaining, and the providers know that so they exploit it to overcharge or price-fix. Health care is a much much larger industry than car sales, but when was the last time you saw a doctor advertising on TV? They don't need to becaue people will take what they can get and pay any price for it. The insurance industry doesn't help matters because it promotes that sort of thinking.

You know the health care in this country is broken when you get refused medical care because you're not insured. When I hurt my hand I had difficulty even finding a doctor close by and when I did, they wouldn't see me when I said I didn't have insurance. I guess 10k in the bank isn't enough for an x-ray these days.

[/ QUOTE ]

so, if you brought cash, or something like that to get the x-ray, they would have said no, sorry? I dont get that? if you can pay for it why would they turn you away?

if you dont have the money or insurance, and they turn you away, i have no problem with that.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
my problem with a private health care system is that it just doesn't seem to be an efficient method of distributing resources-in this case medical care.

[/ QUOTE ]

unfortunately, medical care isn't some static value resource. It's a market driven thing. New methods, new tools, better doctors, are all fostered when there's something to gain.

[/ QUOTE ]

A government that pays doctors and for equipment doesn't preclude that.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it just guarantees that everything will suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. are you saying that health care "sucks" in the rest of the western world? Even proponents of private health care would have a very difficult time agreeing with you.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you dont have the money or insurance, and they turn you away, i have no problem with that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying your opinion is wrong, but most anyone outside of the US would disagree. Sicko mentions that even Margaret Thatcher (at least campaigned to) never get rid of the National Health Service.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

lol. are you saying that health care "sucks" in the rest of the western world? Even proponents of private health care would have a very difficult time agreeing with you.

[/ QUOTE ]

actually i am pretty sure the consensus is that health care is one of the most behind the times industries world-wide with few exceptions. hence all the political hub-bub about it all over the world.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying your opinion is wrong, but most anyone outside of the US would disagree. Sicko mentions that even Margaret Thatcher (at least campaigned to) never get rid of the National Health Service.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, I really dont care what anyone elses opinion is, if privatized health care were ever outlawed, that would by complete commie [censored] imo. Statistically, Ill probably be using the least amount of healthcare compared to other groups, so why should I have to pay for other people? I mean hell, as men, we use about half the amount of resources as women, but if we all have "one unified" payment etc, we are getting screwed. I have money, Im in great health, I dont want to pay [censored].
Old 07-02-2007, 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I've read, it's fine and dandy when your tummy hurts or you've got strep throat. It's a real bitch if you need an MRI or god forbid a major surgery.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:46 PM

I haven't really thought this through, but wouldn't some sort of compromise make the most sense? Social medicine for regular checkups, strep throat, broken bones, etc. and a private, optional insurance for "major" health care issues?
Old 07-02-2007, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't really thought this through, but wouldn't some sort of compromise make the most sense? Social medicine for regular checkups, strep throat, broken bones, etc. and a private, optional insurance for "major" health care issues?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would agree, if it were the other way around, optional health insurance for the small stuff, mandatory for the big stuff (gunshot wounds, cancer, broken bones).