Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2007, 11:27 PM

Default Re: A Supreme Court Ruling That Warms My Little Racist Heart

[ QUOTE ]
I'm still looking for guaranteed proportional representation for whites in the NBA or the NFL, since we're all exactly the same. But coaching spots, that's where AA is needed. I get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a valid point, and one that has been raised before. Any of the White Guilt Party care to address it?
Old 06-30-2007, 04:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Some would also say that having diversity in a place of learning fosters more learning. You often learn more when you are surrounded by a variety of viewpoints.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would someone with black skin contribute a different viewpoint on, say, fluid mechanics? You're equating diversity in skin colour to a diversity of viewpoints.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Some would also say that having diversity in a place of learning fosters more learning. You often learn more when you are surrounded by a variety of viewpoints.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would someone with black skin contribute a different viewpoint on, say, fluid mechanics? You're equating diversity in skin colour to a diversity of viewpoints.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think that the only things you learn in college are learned in the classroom? I'm not talking about learning about physics, I'm talking about learning about life.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think that the only things you learn in college are learned in the classroom? I'm not talking about learning about physics, I'm talking about learning about life.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't even know what "learning about life" means. It certainly isn't the purpose of schooling.

That aside, can we agree that you think positive discrimination for the hard sciences is worthless? (since no one should be studying these to learn about life).
Old 06-30-2007, 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm still looking for guaranteed proportional representation for whites in the NBA or the NFL, since we're all exactly the same. But coaching spots, that's where AA is needed. I get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a valid point, and one that has been raised before. Any of the White Guilt Party care to address it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I missed where the government mandated the NFL institute diversity guidelines in their organizations coaching hiring process.

As for why the NFL instituted the policy, my suspicion is that the picture of a league where owners, management, and coaches are mostly white while the players are predominately black was probably a cause for concern. Either way, I'm not sure what any of this has to do with the "White Guilt Party". If you want to know why the NFL created diversity guidelines, isn't that a question for the NFL? Are they allowed to set their own hiring guidelines, or do they need permission from the "Angry and Bitter Old White Guy Party" first?
Old 06-30-2007, 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did anyone even look at the details of this case?

The Louisville family wanted their son to attend a nearby school (seems reasonable enough, right?) so that the mother could drop him off on her way to work. The school was not overcrowded; there were empty desks. The only issue was that admitting him would have screwed up the racial quota. That's it. So instead he had to endure a 90-minute bus ride to another school.

So, yeah - Supreme Court majority clearly racist, QED.

Do you lefties really have THAT much white guilt that you can't see the absurdity of the above situation? (And the similar absurdities caused by all affirmative action systems that make determinations based solely on race?)

[/ QUOTE ]

In both schools districts in question, I don't believe race was the sole criteria for determining school placement. At least in Seattle, it wasn't even the "first-tier" criteria.

I don't disagree the situation is absurd, because the school district could have rectified it by just making a relatively simple accommodation for the mother. But I'm not sure what this really has to do with the Constitutionality of the integration plans in question; had the school district made an exception for the mother, how relevant would that be to you when considering whether or not the integration plans were legal? My guess is, you wouldn't find it all that relevant. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:42 AM

False. Average black SAT scores can be 3-digits lower then equivalent non-black averages at many schools. I can't give you the exact difference at my school, but in my student job I got to see them once and it was a 200 points difference.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The argument, for college admissions, went something like this: Blacks are X% of the population; yet they're only X-Y% of college admissions. They're scoring worse on entrance tests. They're not genetically inferior intellectually. Therefore the reason why they're scoring worse, and therefore being admitted less, is that they're not prepared as well in their pre-college education, for a variety of reasons, the most important one being the general circumstances of racism and the legacy of racism. That is, the fact that they didn't do as well on tests and were underrepresented in college was de facto evidence of discrimination.

[/ QUOTE ]

The equality of results arguement is retarded. It assumes ALL factors but race are equal. Socioeconomic, cultural, etc.

Maybe poor kids do bad on the SATs, and blacks just happen to be poor more often. Making race based decisions doesn't help at all if it is economic. Especially when most AA is about giving poor white kids spots to rich black kids.

Maybe Asians do well on the SATs because they're parents beat the crap out of them if they don't. Maybe black kids do poorly because they all want to be gangsters. That's a problem for the black community to solve.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:55 AM

This is the worst possible arguement for AA out there, one even the old supreme court rejects. See my reply to andyfox.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:11 AM

I cannot believe the shallowness of this discussion. It is an embarrassment, frankly.

Here is the context that is being omitted from this discussion:

Until Brown v. Board of Education, black students were forcibly segregated into inferior schools, while white students received better funding, better facilities and better education. This was not backdoor, under-the-counter, hush-hush behavior. This was OFFICIAL GOVERNMENT POLICY. For generations.

After Brown ruled this practice unconstitutional, school districts around the country magically continued to do end-runs around it for the next two decades, in order to channel white students into better schools and black students into inferior schools. That is not irrelevant, either.

THIS is where the whole discussion STARTS.

The movement and ideology behind segregation did not suddenly vanish off the face of the earth in 1954. It didn't vanish by 1964, either. Or 1974. Or yesterday. The institutional structure behind such separate-and-unequal policies was MASSIVE. Powerful people, in powerful positions, with massive social and ideological investment.

You cannot have a discussion about school integration unless you place it in the context of the segregationist history it was designed to remedy.

And you cannot have a discussion about affirmative action unless you place it in the context of the OFFICIAL second-class status it was designed to address.

And yet here 2+2 is, arguing about whether blacks are genetically predisposed to low SAT scores and basketball.

It boggles the mind.

q/q