Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2007, 03:35 AM

Default Re: Led Zeppelin Is Just a Great \"COVER\" Band

Here's another one for you guys, I'm not sure if it's on the Howard Stern thing.

Bring it on Home's main riff sounds like the horn section riff in James Brown's Think.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Friends

[/ QUOTE ]

o/t sorta but this is by far my favorite zep song, I just love this thing. Is that weird?

[/ QUOTE ]
I've got the studio outtakes for this song, where they're showing the bombay symphony orchestra (or something) what to play. If you're interested, I can dig it up for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's not too much of a hassle, do it up, love to see it.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't care one way or the other (except for the standard disclaimer that I'm a Stern subscriber).

But some of the silliest posts I've ever read are in this thread. They say things like, "They didn't steal it, they covered it," and "I never heard the original, but I expect that it didn't sound anything like LedZep's version."

When you release an album, and give yourself a song-writing credit for every song, with no credit to any other songwriters, then you didn't "cover" anything. Anyone who defends LedZep in this thread with the word "cover" is being disingenuous.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've written a fair bit in this thread, so I suspect you might be referring to some of my posts. For the record, I have never defended Led Zeppelin for ripping off other musicians. What Page did was absolutely shady.

I used the word "cover" several times because it's a one-word noun that I can use to describe Led Zeppelin's recordings of other people's songs. I didn't really think about the term carrying other implications. Change the word "cover" in my post to "rip-off." I have no problem with that.

[ QUOTE ]
And please don't comment on how different the LZ version sounds from the original, if you haven't heard the original. Do you have any idea how silly that sounds?

I heard part of the Stern segment today, and trust me, if you tuned in midway, you would've thought that it was a segment on blues and folk musicians doing covers of LZ songs--and then you would've found out that these blues and folk people had been playing these songs since the 1950's.

It was that bad. I think even LZ's staunchest supporters in this thread would change their minds if they heard the clips played back-to-back as Stern did today.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm betting the vast majority of it came off Led Zeppelin I and a little bit of Led Zeppelin II.

Edit: Also, I didn't know "In My Time of Dying" was not an original Zeppelin track. Is the music at all similar to the original version?
Old 06-28-2007, 03:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Friends

[/ QUOTE ]

o/t sorta but this is by far my favorite zep song, I just love this thing. Is that weird?

[/ QUOTE ]
I've got the studio outtakes for this song, where they're showing the bombay symphony orchestra (or something) what to play. If you're interested, I can dig it up for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

link or pm yo
Old 06-28-2007, 04:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"I never heard the original, but I expect that it didn't sound anything like LedZep's version."

And please don't comment on how different the LZ version sounds from the original, if you haven't heard the original. Do you have any idea how silly that sounds?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just talking about the specific song In My Time of Dying. Zep's version was one of their harder rocking songs (after the slide guitar part at the beginning). I had heard it was originally an old blues type of song. It's unlikely the original version was a heavy metal type song because that type of music wasn't really around then.

Either way, I really don't give a [censored]. Music is music, it's supposed to just generate emotions and make you feel good/pumped up/whatever. I really don't care where it comes from.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1) Those of you who didnt listen to it live or on a replay or download the link I gave you and listen should not even post in this thread.

2) Youtalkfunny is completely correct. Once you listen to the segment, it is just insulting and repulsive.

3) Makes me appreciate The Floyd MUCH MORE even then before.

4) Yes Plant is a great vocalist, page one of the best guitarist and one of the best drummers ever. But too bad their best songs are not their own creations. Doh!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Okay I finally listened. The Stairway to Heaven was new to me, and it really sucks that they seem to have stolen that opening. Other than that, nothing new.

2. Okay, not really if you already knew, which I did.

3. Enjoy the Floyd.

4. The vast majority of their best songs are their own creations, unless you assume that because they stole about ten tracks (only one of which was really a huge song) that all their stuff is stolen.

Jimmy Page was shady. Led Zeppelin did some bad things. I already knew that. You can call them whatever you like, but it's dumb to suggest that they're just a cover band because maybe 10 percent of their large body of work is lifted, especially since most of the stuff they lifted was standard blues fare in the first place.

I won't lie. It sucks that the Stairway to Heaven opening was stolen. But even then, Plant wrote the lyrics and Page and the band probably wrote the other 80 percent of the song that became Stairway.

If we're still considering them innocent until proven guilty with respect to all their other great tracks, then it still holds true that the majority of their BEST work was their own creation.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:25 AM

Friends is a great song, but it is outshined by the similar Gallows Pole on the same album. Gallows Pole is the precursor to Stairway, and is a juggernaut of a song. I'm just surprised that, on an album featuring Gallows Pole, you would hold Friends the highest. Maybe Gallows Pole sounds to rockabilly for you?

This thread is dumb. I guess modern architects can't use columns anymore because of the Romans and Greeks before them. It would just be ripping them off.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:31 AM

Zeppelin sucked/sucks anyway, so who really cares?
Old 06-28-2007, 10:34 AM

seriously the OP wasn't actually greatly composed, but WTF with some of these responses?? i own a decent amount of LZ's work and didn't know they 'covered' a lot of blues stuff (also covered is a strange word since the original artists get no credit on any of the albums).
Old 06-28-2007, 10:36 AM

1) A great band that does covers is still a great band.

2) The writing credits are misleading but not maliciously so. Members of LZ have copped to this many times.

3) Saying that we should be repulsed is a matter of opinion. If you feel LZ has no integrity and that makes you hate their music, great! A lot of us happen to like how the music sounds though, regardless of where it did or did not originate from.