Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2007, 10:14 AM

Default Re: Living and Playing in Vegas

I've been here for 15 months now, and can't think of a single reason I'd ever leave. I can go on and on about why I love living in Vegas, but somebody will come up with a reason to dispute every single one. Having come from Florida, where I lived for 5 years, there's no comparison. Other than missing my sailboat, there's nothing in my former state that's in the same league.

I've had nothing but great experiences in Vegas. I came here with absolutely nothing left and have built a great life. I like what I do. I like where I live. I have more friends here than anyplace I've ever lived. There are all kinds of opportunities for whatever you'd like.

Most of the people who've given opinions are like the blind men and the elephant. They "see" only a small part, and based upon that, make definitive statements. So far, not a single one has been correct. Not even one.

I've met a lot of cops here and they've been good guys. I've not experienced flooding. I've been in places at the wrong time and have never felt in danger. The Strip is still cool, and I'm there every day.

But, the winters suck. That's the only bad part, really. It's not fair to have 100 degree days for 3 1/2 months and then be cold in the winter, but there it is. I lived in MA for 13 years, so I do know cold. In winter, it's cold here.

Outside of that, I have absolutely no complaints. My only regret is I didn't get here many years earlier. There's just no place like it. If you get bored here, it's your fault.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:33 AM

How cold does it get? I doubt it can be worse than Massachusetts.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:44 AM

lol @ ppl saying winters are cold in vegas. wtf?
Old 08-14-2007, 10:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

lol @ ppl saying winters are cold in vegas. wtf?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess depends what you consider cold. In January, Vegas gets down to the twenties plus a wind chill factor. Average temperature in December and January is something like 57 daytime and 37 night time. Record low was 8
Old 08-14-2007, 11:44 AM

This thread is like deja-vu. I lived in MN and wanted to move to somewhere warmer in 2001. Poker was not a major part of my life back then. The three choices I came down to were:

Vegas
Tampa
Phoenix

I ended up choosing Tampa because of the consistent weather and cost of living. Fast forward 6 years and I am happy with the choice although if I had to choose all over I probably would go with Vegas. Not because I don't like Tampa, I love it here, I just want more poker options.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:47 AM

57 is still shorts weather. Cape Cod average temp in January is 27.5. Guess this makes my decision much easier to go to Vegas for the winter.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:58 AM

That is so weird, also strange is that S. FL (incl. Tampa), Phoenix and Las Vegas happen to be the worst performing housing markets right now and I'm in real estate.

It spells opportunity to me though.

Cactus Jack, great post. Yes it seems it is only people who have never lived or even visited Vegas who have an over all negative opinion about the place. Most who visit don't venture outside of the strip and the highway leading to Hoover Dam so how could they possibly think they really know Vegas?

Just the past 24 hours of posts has near cemented my decision.

FL's rising Property tax and insurance is a huge turn off.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:13 PM

Cold in Vegas(20's) in the winter is pretty funny to hear when you live in MN.

To OP I think Phoenix would also be a nice place to consider.
Poker in Florida sucks so I don't know how you could even consider living there if you are a regular poker player.
Vegas is nice but as many have said, it might not be the best for your familly.
Phoenix has good poker, pretty low cost of living, more normal and probably better environment for a familly and a roadtrip to Vegas is doable in about 5 hours whenever you want.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:25 PM

I live in Washington DC, where it usually does get pretty cold in the Winter. However, I went to Vegas between Xmas and NYE of last year was was very suprised to find it was colder there than it had been in DC yet so far that season.
I only had a sweater and wished I had brought my heavy coat.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:54 PM

Yes, property taxes suck here in Tampa.

I have a $300k house and property taxes are going to run me around $5500 this year. Hazard insurance has increased approximately 200% since I first moved here in '01 as well. Definately a buyers market here too. There is no way I would get what I paid for my house just 1 year ago. There is also no way I would get what I sold my townhome a year ago either. It all evens out.