Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2007, 10:35 PM

Default Re: questions about hoss\' style

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Lot of focus on calling down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just read the hands schneids posted and it seems there is calling on the river and elsewhere there is raising.

[/ QUOTE ]

cant remember all the rest but let's start w/ the first one. schneids raises in hijack, and hoss calls w/ 48o. he checkraises flop w/ mp and calls 3 bet. he c/calls both the turn and river, despite both the flush and st draws arriving. how could this hand possibly be optimally played?? i dont understand!!

[/ QUOTE ]

havent been on in the last week or so. anyone have any good ideas on how this hand might possibly have been played well (or how it may have been played 'expertly' by one of the best online). it obviously looks awful, and i did not search for it among hundreds of hands. was the first of schneids' histories. apparently this type of play is typical for hoss? i saw danger's comment about this being the sacrifice for an unbluffable image. but c'mon, this is how every 78/10 joe donk in the world might play this hand. looks horrible- he calls one of the known best online players, who raises from the HIJACK w/ 48o, then check calls down despite both draws coming in. hoss??

ive read about 100 pages of the book so far. fairly interesting, but not much yet that i feel i could tangibly use to improve my sh limit game in particular. interesting limit hand about how, against a preflop 3 better w/ a tight range in full ring, it is a huge mistake to c/f 99 on an ace hi board (assuming the opponent will play a specific strategy post flop, which in this case is that he folds to your turn bet after calling your flop raise w/ tens thru kings. interesting, and id like to see many more similar examples geared specifically to the game we play. perhaps another book, "Hoss' implementation of 'the math of poker' in sh limit" - or something to that effect!?

[/ QUOTE ]

there's alot of different ways this could be explained, the most likely being a very singular 'mood' that the recent history between the two had produced. with my very limited experience at high stakes i've noticed that this type of dynamic develops quite often since everyone is already meth-level aggressive anyway. lose a few 3 or 4k dollar pots in a row to runner runners and you've got a bona fide sh*t throwing contest.

[/ QUOTE ]

appreciate the thoughts. maybe it is just kind of tilt or a pissing contest or whatever. but from what ive read, it seems to be his actual style. whatever the dynamic, though, this first hand seems impossible to justify mathematically (and the other thread stated that hoss is a 'mathematical' player who knowledge of the game is derived basically from 'the mathematics of poker' by chen!

[/ QUOTE ]

what makes you think it's his style? i've got like 1k hands on hoss in my db and i reviewed alot of them when i discovered he was the biggest winner on stars and that hand you posted doesn't seem like it fits into his style...
Old 06-18-2007, 06:30 PM

just going by the specific descriptions given about him in the other thread. perhaps he doesnt actually play that way.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:20 PM

hoss is scary.. think about how good he is and how more developed his game is compared to the best 3 years ago.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hoss is scary.. think about how good he is and how more developed his game is compared to the best 3 years ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

just curious...why do you think he is so good? i'd like to see some hands where he plays so much better than anyone else could...
Old 06-20-2007, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why do you think he is so good?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because he consistently crushes the highest games?

[ QUOTE ]
i'd like to see some hands where he plays so much better than anyone else could...

[/ QUOTE ]

You should really know better than to make this statment joker. Come on, now.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
why do you think he is so good?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because he consistently crushes the highest games?

[ QUOTE ]
i'd like to see some hands where he plays so much better than anyone else could...

[/ QUOTE ]

You should really know better than to make this statment joker. Come on, now.

[/ QUOTE ]

what do you mean by consistent? for all i know, we have the 50k hand sample wherein he runs at 1.9bb/100 published here. i just want to know what everyone is basing their opinion on besides this. i don't mean to be cynical i'm just curious.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what do you mean by consistent?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's been reported he was the biggest winner in the UB 300/600 when it was the biggest game. He's the biggest winner on Stars 200/400 over ~50k hands. He's the biggest winner on Stars 500/1k. He's a big winner on FT 500/1k.

Sure you can say he's only has x number of hands so his true winrate is only between x and x and there's x% chance he could be a losing player...blah blah blah and on and on and on.

My opinion, from the information I have, is that there's likely no better limit holdem player on the internet than Hoss. As for my basis...there's noone who has a better track record in the aformentioned games than him. And that's all we can really base any idiotic chatter of "who's the best" on, isn't it?
Old 06-20-2007, 11:54 PM

"It's been reported he was the biggest winner in the UB 300/600 when it was the biggest game. He's the biggest winner on Stars 200/400 over ~50k hands. He's the biggest winner on Stars 500/1k. He's a big winner on FT 500/1k.
"

ok. i had no idea about all this. where has this been reported?
Old 06-20-2007, 11:59 PM

Obviously, you have the Stars 200/400...UB 300/600 was reported in the High Stakes forum a while ago...dataminers have given the 500/1k results on FT...I've seen his 500/1k numbers on PStars.

Edit: I don't know what's not to get. People think Hoss is so good because he wins the most in the biggest games. Isn't that why people think the "best players" are "so good"?
Old 06-21-2007, 12:04 AM

joker122, he is by far the best limit holdem player in the world. How in the world can you say that he plays no better than any other good high stakes player? all you see are hands he shows down. and a lot of the time the hands he shows down (when calling) do lose. Pretty weak assesment of his skill level, joker122.