Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2007, 10:48 PM

Default Re: How to Dominate $1 and $2 No Limit Hold\'em

[ QUOTE ]
you will see that the forum is full of cynicism....
I read about all of five pages of Largay's book....
I am one of the more cynical posters, btw.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, really?
Old 06-06-2007, 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pulled up a random page in Amazon...here's a few interesting sentences..

"If we want to win more pots than just the pots planned by our share of good cards, we have to have the power image. Better yet, we must be the Dominator."

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for posting those quotes....

are you really judging a book on that first quote?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not judging the book at all; I haven't read it (aside from that one page). I just thought the quotes were funny.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:26 AM

Better get it soon. It's being recalled and reprinted because of the crappy publishing job.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:43 AM

If I order it from amazon right now, will I get the correctly printed version?
Old 06-08-2007, 10:00 AM

Don't know about that. I got mine through Amazon yesterday. The print is faint, but it's nothing that can't be read. It sort of looks like it was printed on a dot matrix printer instead of a laser printer. I don't think it's bad enough to return mine.

From what I've seen so far, I like it. I'm not sure it's necessary to reprint the playable hands chart at the beginning of every chapter/section though. As I was leafing through it, I did see some examples that I questioned, but can't think of the specifics now. I think one had to do with folding a set of aces on a broadway flop, but I'm not sure. The rationale may be explained as it relates to the overall theme of the book, which is dominating, so I can't give a well-informed opinion at this point. Anyway, I can tell there is a lot of good stuff in there and a lot of stuff that will benefit the beginner to intermediate player, which I kind of think most people who read this part of the forum are.

I'll try to weigh in after this weekend if I've had more time to read the book. My initial impression is that this is a book that should be purchased, if for no other reason than the small stakes no-limit books are rare and it does have some specific examples rather than generic guidelines. Obviously, everything is situational and reads-based, but I still enjoy seeing specific examples because it helps me see one's thought process - sort of like reading the hands posted on the strategy forums here.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I order it from amazon right now, will I get the correctly printed version?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would wait at least a week.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't know about that. I got mine through Amazon yesterday. The print is faint, but it's nothing that can't be read. It sort of looks like it was printed on a dot matrix printer instead of a laser printer. I don't think it's bad enough to return mine.

From what I've seen so far, I like it. I'm not sure it's necessary to reprint the playable hands chart at the beginning of every chapter/section though. As I was leafing through it, I did see some examples that I questioned, but can't think of the specifics now. I think one had to do with folding a set of aces on a broadway flop, but I'm not sure. The rationale may be explained as it relates to the overall theme of the book, which is dominating, so I can't give a well-informed opinion at this point. Anyway, I can tell there is a lot of good stuff in there and a lot of stuff that will benefit the beginner to intermediate player, which I kind of think most people who read this part of the forum are.

I'll try to weigh in after this weekend if I've had more time to read the book. My initial impression is that this is a book that should be purchased, if for no other reason than the small stakes no-limit books are rare and it does have some specific examples rather than generic guidelines. Obviously, everything is situational and reads-based, but I still enjoy seeing specific examples because it helps me see one's thought process - sort of like reading the hands posted on the strategy forums here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm about 1/4 of the way through, and I have to say that this is well written. There are several hand examples with the basis for actions taken being supported by the reads on the other players involved. That's nice. However, I do think that several readers of the 2+2 forums may think some of the advice is on the weak-tight side even though it's presented in a "dominator" mode. By that I mean, there are some folds suggested where I think the "typical" small stakes 2+2 advice would be to call and reevaluate on the turn. As with any writing, the reader will need to use his own experience and thought process in evaluating the advice rendered. Even recognizing the "typical" poster around here may differ in responding to some of the situations presented in the book, based on what I have read so far I would highly recommend picking up a copy of this book.

In sum - and this may catch me a little flack - think Little Green Book with more hand examples and explanation of reads on the opponents. Well written text in an easy to understand format.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:59 AM

While I like the general theme of the book about coming into pots raising most of the time and trying to be the aggressor, the writing and structure of the book is often very poor with both typing and statistical errors (ie page 39 "Before the flop, we have a 22% chance of making a flush"). On page 37 for 23 pages the author is possibly talking about starting hands in limit holdem but makes no lead in and is quite confusing and he keeps reprinting the same crap at the beginning of each chapter which is quite annoying.

And what is written on page 88 may be the most ludicrous piece of strategical advice I've ever seen in print. The author advices both checking and then throwing away throwing away top set to a normal bet because an opponent may have a straight on an AJTo board (by normal bet I mean not some crazy all in reraise and even then throwing it away then is still questionable because your opponent may have one of the other sets or two pair). It's for info like that found in books that a player must really be reading "actively" and questioning advice (not just be a drone taking all advice as fact).

I find it quite amusing that something of this poor quality actually got to print (I'm talking content-wise and now that you mention it, the messed up print job... apparently no one opened a single book before sending them to resellers). Do publishing companies and authors not have like 20 bucks to pay an actual poker player to read and comment a book before they print them

Until they re-edit and come up with a 2nd edition this book is getting a thumbs down from me.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And what is written on page 88 may be the most ludicrous piece of strategical advice I've ever seen in print. The author advices both checking and then throwing away throwing away top set to a normal bet because an opponent may have a straight on an AJTo board (by normal bet I mean not some crazy all in reraise and even then throwing it away then is still questionable because your opponent may have one of the other sets or two pair). It's for info like that found in books that a player must really be reading "actively" and questioning advice (not just be a drone taking all advice as fact).

[/ QUOTE ]

This was the example I was thinking of above. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that was unusual. I will say, however, that I like the fact that each example tends to set forth the questions that beginners should be thinking about when playing a hand - i.e., what do we know about the players, etc. I still think it's worthy of a read for most readers on this part of 2+2's forum, based on what I've seen of the posts that have been made here.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:59 PM

The book certainly has some value, but sorting through it and trying to determine what is "good" advice and what is "bad" may be beyond a lot of beginner's capabilities... so I'd have to really leave this off of most player's curriculum. A more experienced player could possibly tell what is unsound info and what is useful though.