Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2007, 08:33 PM

Default Re: What If There Is a God?

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks just learnt a new word.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pair why can't i have an answer to my question?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want to know more about how I think, read all my posts in the archives. There's nearly 3000 of them. That's my answer. Now quit complaining. You can't always get your way.

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]

I am druck and want to tell you to [censored] off, why not just tell me? [censored] off.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:09 PM

hahahah, why the [censored] should i read 3000 posts??? just tell me [censored].....
Old 05-26-2007, 10:11 PM

hahahahaha............
Old 05-26-2007, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pair why can't i have an answer to my question?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want to know more about how I think, read all my posts in the archives. There's nearly 3000 of them. That's my answer. Now quit complaining. You can't always get your way.

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]

I am druck and want to tell you to [censored] off, why not just tell me? [censored] off.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see why you have the *

I will grant your wish. You will not hear from me again.

PairTheBoard
Old 05-27-2007, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But when you attack them for being ridiculous based on the presumption that you are right, I must object.

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that humas have created gods to explain the unexplainable is not assumption. It's fact. Are you arguing that the gods of thunder and lightning and volcanos and the sun and fertility etc. were NOT created to explain the unexplainable? If so I think you are wrong.

Perhaps you think your subjective experience of god is more enlightened than primitive man who used angry gods to explain hurricanes and volcano eruptions. But that does not mean your god does not exist merely to explain what is unexplainable *TO YOU*.

Maybe you feel that your subjective experience tells you that your god does not exist simply to explain the unexplainable. I could easily counter that you are fooling yourself. Which you must admit, is no less probable than your god actually existing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi, I am new to this forum, but this person has said my argument to a t, so I was intrigued to join.

Regarding the op. If an atheist assumes that there is a God, then what is left to argue? Isn't that the same as starting an argument with the assumption that your opponent is correct?
Old 05-27-2007, 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Regarding the op. If an atheist assumes that there is a God, then what is left to argue? Isn't that the same as starting an argument with the assumption that your opponent is correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm really saying the same thing you are except the other way around. Using your words, If the Athest Presumes there is no God, what is there to talk about?

PairTheBoard
Old 05-27-2007, 01:13 AM

If an atheist assumes there is no God and a theist assumes there is, then you talk about why each of you assumes what you assume, and you argue till you are blue in the face to try to get the other person to see that you are right. If an atheist assumes that there is a God and a theist assumes there is a God, then there is nothing to talk about, you agree, God exists (even if it is only in a couple of finite minds). The same could be said if a theist assumes there is no God. There is nothing to talk about because you agree. However, this is not likely to happen. Why, because the definition of theist is one who believes in God (or gods). The same is true of atheism. If atheists assume that there is a God, then atheism doesn't exist, because atheism is the lack of belief in a God.
Old 05-27-2007, 01:39 AM

I'm not talking about their providing arguments for their respective positions. I'm taking about a point of logic. I've explained it several times now on this thread. Have you read each of my attempts to explain it? Let me try one more simple form. This is what I see Atheists doing.

A. If X is true then you are ridiculous.
T. Of course. But I'm not ridiculous.
A. I just proved you are.
T. No. You didn't.
A. Yes I did. X. You are ridiculous.

You can disagree and tell me Atheist don't do that. But at least understand what it is I'm claiming they do. If you aren't getting the logic I suggest you study on it a while.

PairTheBoard
Old 05-27-2007, 02:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm really saying the same thing you are except the other way around. Using your words, If the Athest Presumes there is no God, what is there to talk about?

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]

I figUre to make a million similar presumptions toDay, virtually all of them you'd agrEe with.

It would make lifE almost impossible to live if we believed there was a alligator in the bathtub, a army unit in the garage and a python in the fridge just so nobody could accuse us of presuming thAt they weren't.

God is in the same category as those examples, until there is some worthwhile evidence she's in whatever level of presumption you have for those cases. Until you want to bet even money on my examples being there, you really should agree that there are presumptions and there are presumptions.

Yes, I could make my decisions today by presuming there is a python in the fridge, etc, but I'd likely be in a snug shirt by nightfall. Yet, if I make the null assumption "no python presumed until evidence of it" I'd be considered quite rational. The god presumption is no different, if it was another topic we'd medicate for it. "Ridiculous" is pandering to the moderates.

( I freely admit I haven't grasped the point of the OP so I'm just dealing with one of it's claims).

luckyme