Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2007, 03:26 AM

Default Re: There is going to be a Baby Tall!! (Future and current Dad\'s thre

congrats joe and michelle.

it's great that michelle does not mind that you are a gay.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:58 AM

Default Re: There is going to be a Baby Tall!! (Future and current Dad\'s thread)

Hey Joe - congrats!

Isn't it neat how human beings can just adapt? If I have any regrets it was spending time wondering if I was "ready" - we are all born ready.

The best advice we got was that if people want to come over in the first two weeks, they are coming to wash dishes or do laundry, not play with the baby or talk to Mom. She'll need you to protect her.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:19 AM

Congratulations, Joe. It really is all that people make it out to be.

My advice is a little more utilitarian.

If your baby has reflux, which is VERY likely these days, don't let your doctor talk you into any boutique or high-priced formula before you try this:

This stuff has been on the market for years and years, and it was the only thing my kid could take that didn't have him spitting up and choking 24/7. Same goes for 3 friends of mine that decided to heed my advice.

It's (comparatively) inexpensive, and it works.

Hope everything goes well for you.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

On a serious note, does anyone have any thoughts on testing the baby for Genetic/Birth Defects and the whatnot. I have heard it was possible, but I don't really have any more info that that. Can anyone shed some light on that sort of thing? Never thought I would be posting in a thread like this. This board is now like the 8th person to know. LOL, I need more friends...

C-Dog

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not a doctor, but went through a [censored] of testing when my wife was pregnant.

If your wife is over 35, they've probably recommend she have an amnio, which involves actually drawing some amniotic fluid out of her and testing it. The results from amnios are pretty definitive, but there is SOME risk involved with the procedure. I think over the age of 35 the risk of birth defects, etc, exceeds the risk from the amnio so they go ahead with it.

My wife and I both have lots of funky health issues so we met with a geneticist and were tested for a bunch of stuff. If you and your wife are from the same ethnic background/area of the world originally, especially Jews from Eastern Europe, I think there's some higher risk.

Talk to her OB. If she's under 35 and you both have no history of genetic disorders I think there are some simple blood tests they can do that will reduce the likelihood of birth defects to a really small number.

And congratulations!
Old 05-25-2007, 09:58 AM

A great gift to get is a baby wipe warmer too. It makes it more comfortable for baby.

We bought a Baby Einstein playmat and now that Sofi is 6 weeks old she'll lay under the lights and music for an hour or more without fussing. At about 6 weeks old, even an hour for yourself to do dishes or catch up on some laundry is invaluable.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:18 AM

Default Re: There is going to be a Baby Tall!! (Future and current Dad\'s thread)

Joe,

congrats! i am nowhere near being a father, but i do have two points of advice from being a son and friends of parents:

1) start a savings account for your kid now if you have the recourse. it can be for college or hopefully by the time he/she is ready, a whole lot more in addition.

2) baby einstein. a lot of those CDs i think have a ton of mozart and beethoven. in addition though, i've heard that rhythm and counterpoint are good so if there isn't any bach on there, get his inventions.

if you do the above, you should have a smart, rich child [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. now all you need is CD that builds character lol

Barron
Old 05-25-2007, 10:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
2) baby einstein. a lot of those CDs i think have a ton of mozart and beethoven. in addition though, i've heard that rhythm and counterpoint are good so if there isn't any bach on there, get his inventions.

if you do the above, you should have a smart, rich child [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]
Poster dlk9s came through with this gem of information regarding the Baby Einstein CDs.
I followed his advice and also took advantage of that deal.

Good stuff...
Old 05-25-2007, 10:42 AM

one piece of advice regarding music stuff. not all people are capable of having perfect pitch, but for those that are, they either develop it young or not at all. I highly recommend teaching your son/daughter the names of different notes and how they sound around the same time you teach them colors and their names.

your kid may or may not develop perfect pitch, but research has shown that a high % of people with perfect pitch go through some type of learning activity like this at a young age. it's a really simple thing to teach them.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:28 PM

Congrats, Joe!
Old 05-25-2007, 03:45 PM

Congratulations!