Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2007, 02:28 AM

Default Re: NBC HeadsUp Poker Championship - Semis and Finals - Sunday, May 20

[ QUOTE ]
This will help. Paste this on your tv screen.

Shannon Elizabeth Photo

[/ QUOTE ]

Wowzers ..
Old 05-23-2007, 06:20 AM

On the hand in the first finals match when Chad makes trip fives, the dealer actually dealt the button first. Whoops. Maybe the re-did the deal, but it doesn't appear that way on the telecast.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:22 AM

ali sounds like he's trying too hard to say things that make him sound like an expert. if it was being said live, i would have no problem with it, but since its all said with already knowing how it's going to turn out, it's very abrasive.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ali sounds like he's trying too hard to say things that make him sound like an expert. if it was being said live, i would have no problem with it, but since its all said with already knowing how it's going to turn out, it's very abrasive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Abrasive, is a very good way to describe Ali's announcing. Both his criticism and voice get on my nerves. I prefer Matt Vasgersian's, more upbeat, less serious sounding voice.

abrasive
adj 1: causing abrasion [syn: scratchy]
2: sharply disagreeable; rigorous; "the harsh facts of court delays"; "an abrasive character" [syn: harsh]
(see: Ali Nejad on 2007 NBC National Heads-Up Poker Championship or Poker After Dark)
n : a substance that abrades or wears down [syn: abradant, abrasive
material]

I tried saying "Shut the F up", everytime Ali spoke, but that got too tiring, so I just tried to block him out and focus on the players comments. I hope he stays on PAD (I'm sick of it anyway), and is too busy to announce any other tv shows.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The last few minutes of the Shannon Elizabeth vs Wasicka was just agonizing to watch. That "suckout" comment was annoying enough but wtf was with them going on and on and on about it?

And LOL @ Shannon positively visualising herself an ace to lose that hand, that was pretty funny. I guess she does have ACTUAL supernatural magic powers after all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wasn't that beautiful? She is chanting for an A, and she gets one, so why all the tears? I guess she should have been chanting for a Q - those magic powers are dangerous and can rebound on you. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I was really happy to see a deserving player win - just for all those tough calls on the river alone.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Did anyone else notice Clonie Gowen hanging all over jeff madsen during the ShannonE-paulW match?
Is the 21 year old gonna slam him an older broad?

[/ QUOTE ]

Madsen must have been holding the meth?
Old 05-25-2007, 01:10 PM

I hadn't really looked at the structure before the finals, but it seems terrible for a serious HU championship. Both players started with 640k, 5k/10k blinds. 64BB was the standard starting stack? And if I got it right most matches didn't take >100 hands?

I don't mind too much, I think it makes for fine television, but no way can any conclusions as to skill level be drawn from the results this tournament.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hadn't really looked at the structure before the finals, but it seems terrible for a serious HU championship. Both players started with 640k, 5k/10k blinds. 64BB was the standard starting stack? And if I got it right most matches didn't take >100 hands?

I don't mind too much, I think it makes for fine television, but no way can any conclusions as to skill level be drawn from the results this tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blinds started at 3k/6k.
Old 05-26-2007, 04:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Who cares?

Ali Nejad is anti-growing on me. It's unbelievable how much stupid crap comes out of his mouth regarding poker. I don't understand, I've been playing the game for about a year and a half, and I can talk much more intelligently, and have much deeper insights into the game than this guy, his partner, Konik, seif, etc etc. Gabe Kaplan is the only one who isn't a douche.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ali knows more about poker than jut about anyone bashing him in this thread. He plays higher games - and beats the - than you. He is a very successful cash game player who has turned his knowledge into a very successful broadcasting career.

I understand if you don't like his style of announcing, but to say he doesn't know poker is just dead wrong.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:42 PM

I don't see how what he KNOWS is relevant? It's what he SAYS that anyone cares about. He's an announcer, what he has in his head doesn't matter. If he is as smart as you say he is, he isn't showing it.

Proof of his success as a cash game player? I was under the impression he is a good limit player, not NL - which would explain his lack of ability to talk intelligently about the game.