Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2007, 04:07 PM

Default Re: HSP Jamie Gold gossip and ARod sighting

[ QUOTE ]
No..it's Arod Naseef (pronounce Arid). The guy sometimes plays online under the name Purplelipstick.

[/ QUOTE ]
I heard he also uses Leatherface as a handle.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:18 PM

Default Re: HSP Jamie Gold gossip and ARod sighting

Beautiful thread. Just Great. Thanks OP, and thanks for the Sand Merchant/Leatherface/McBluelips jokes...
Old 05-15-2007, 04:18 PM

Default Re: Jamie Gold losses on HSP, ARod sighting and other Bellagio gossip

[ QUOTE ]
Wonder if the yankees knew about this stopover, and if this would make baseball tonight and sportscenter if they got a hold of it.

Why would baseball made a big deal of this?
After the Yankees got bounced from the playoffs by Detroit last fall, the NY Daily News and the NY Post both ran stories on Alex's visiting underground poker rooms.

The Yankees did not express ill feelings towards Arod for playing poker, they expressed concern that he played in an illegal underground poker room.

Alex is a grown man, he can do what he wants in his off time.

When he visited the Borgata a few years back, he played $20-$40 limit, and paid the time for the table. People I know that played with him said he played decent and seemed like a good guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you took my post in the context it was intended, which was in reference to the Roger Clemens "I don't have to travel with the team, and I can miss games" clause, and how this behavior seemed strikingly similar. I could care less if he plays poker, I am just saying it would be interesting if they didn't know he took the alternate flight to stop in vegas.

Why would baseball made a big deal of this?
After the Yankees got bounced from the playoffs by Detroit last fall, the NY Daily News and the NY Post both ran stories on Alex's visiting underground poker rooms.

^^you answer your own question is to why baseball/the media would make a deal of it. how were those stories taken?
Old 05-15-2007, 04:38 PM

you answer your own question is to why baseball/the media would make a deal of it. how were those stories taken?

The media scrutinized him for gambling in an illegal establishment that was under a blitzkreig at the time, not because he was gambling.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
-ARod was at the bellagio today playing 10/20nl. he refused to play a shorthanded 25/50 game so they actually made it 10/20 for him. he bought in for 3k or so and got all his money in with a set vs a draw and lost. i dont think he lost any more money other than that and a 2p2er said he played decent. pretty odd seeing him play at the bellagio when he had a game yesterday and has another one tommorow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice stopover from Seattle to Chicago.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is really interesting in light of the yanks signing clemens, and all the controversy about the clause in his contract that allows him to miss games and fly on his own and not be with the team at all times. Wonder if the yankees knew about this stopover, and if this would make baseball tonight and sportscenter if they got a hold of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

On days off, players routinely do their own thing. I'd venture a guess that: Arod was with the team until he needed to be on Sunday after game with Seattle and will be in Chicago ready to go today (Tues) at the park for the game vs. White Sox.

Doesn't make Sportscenter when star pitcher is drunk at a bar at 4:00am and two girls on his arms. That'd me more detrimental to the team than sitting at a poker game.

[/ QUOTE ]

but why wouldn't he just go to atlantic city on a private helicoptor or in a limo or something...seems kinda silly to be in vegas on ur day off when ur team is slumping no matter what the circumstances
Old 05-15-2007, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
-ARod was at the bellagio today playing 10/20nl. he refused to play a shorthanded 25/50 game so they actually made it 10/20 for him. he bought in for 3k or so and got all his money in with a set vs a draw and lost. i dont think he lost any more money other than that and a 2p2er said he played decent. pretty odd seeing him play at the bellagio when he had a game yesterday and has another one tommorow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice stopover from Seattle to Chicago.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is really interesting in light of the yanks signing clemens, and all the controversy about the clause in his contract that allows him to miss games and fly on his own and not be with the team at all times. Wonder if the yankees knew about this stopover, and if this would make baseball tonight and sportscenter if they got a hold of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

On days off, players routinely do their own thing. I'd venture a guess that: Arod was with the team until he needed to be on Sunday after game with Seattle and will be in Chicago ready to go today (Tues) at the park for the game vs. White Sox.

Doesn't make Sportscenter when star pitcher is drunk at a bar at 4:00am and two girls on his arms. That'd me more detrimental to the team than sitting at a poker game.

[/ QUOTE ]

but why wouldn't he just go to atlantic city on a private helicoptor or in a limo or something...seems kinda silly to be in vegas on ur day off when ur team is slumping no matter what the circumstances

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems to me, if I were A-Rod, that the answer would be:

"Because I feel like it."
Old 05-15-2007, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So does everyone play the game they "can" afford. I don't see Bill Gates running up to play 1 million / 2 million, but I'm pretty sure he can afford a huge loss if needed. I think it's been reported he plays 3/6 limit in Vegas. 25/50 is a good enough limit that you get a solid game and he can fill a little burn if he does lose. Hell look at Barkley and the drunk golfer from Memphis and look how much they have both blown, is that good as well that the golfer basically played over his head and Barkley has blown through a ton of money. I think I'd rather be in A-Rods shoes playing a little lower than degeneracy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great point,

I played 1-2NL with Paul Azinger about a year ago at the Beau Rivage and I'm sure he's rolled for the the 2-5 that was running.

GS
Old 05-15-2007, 05:47 PM

one thing to also remember re: those games is the negative publicity that would come along with playing higher games. there is basically no way you can put a positive light on John Daly and Charles Barkeley's gambling degeneracy, but they are both way downhill in terms of degen that we already know about so who cares.

However, Bill Gates is the CEO of one of the biggest companies in the world, and ARod is (just guessing) probably the richest baseball player on the planet, in the NYY market. both of those guys could not afford to *ever* promote the idea that they are the least bit degen, and moreso in the case of gates.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:48 PM

btw, MBD is the best gossip poster ever. I am so happy to vaguely associate myself with someone who almost took shaun deeb's bankroll in televised monoploy.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:55 PM

yeah but like the general public would even know the difference between 10/20 and 25/50