Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2006, 05:13 AM

Default Re: Your Favorite Baseball Team

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
detroit bitches

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the Tigers will be in the thick of the hunt for the Central title. Their offense is well balanced and probably the best in the Central as long as Cleveland keeps Aaron Boone in the starting lineup. Their defense is awesome and they've got a solid bench. The starting pitching is underrated and an average bullpen shouldn't hurt them too much. If Guillen can stay healthy this will be the best team the Tigers have had in a very long time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ohh man, and i thought i was delusional. The tigers were 71-91 last year, twenty games under .500 and 28 back of the white sox for the division- AND behind two other teams. Contending for .500 ball is the Tigers' next step, then perhaps in 2007 they have a shot at the central division title if things go well.
Your offense is no where near as good as cleveland's. 790 runs last year to 723- and that was WITH Boone in the lineup the whole year, and Blake and Broussard.
Boone hit about 30 points higher in the second half of last season than in the first after coming off major surgery, Broussard will now be platooning at first with a guy who hits lefties solidly (comapred to him) and blake, well maybe blake will get injured. Also Martinez underprefromed the first half of last year and he has a more capable backup lined up for this year, Siezmore and peralta both have a year and a half in the bigs behind them, losing crisp will hurt, but should be alleviated by a higher OBP from his replacement. All in all our offense should be at least as good as last years, perhaps slightly better.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:24 AM

I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Clarkmeister...nice post of your old avatar

Lidge is toast
Old 02-20-2006, 05:25 AM

I'm now a Tampa I'm now a Tampa Bay Fan, Only because I have them at 150 to 1 to win their division. But that's enough to make me a HUGE Fan! Go Tampa Bay Devil Rays!
Old 02-20-2006, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a Cubs fan.....hope renews on Opening Day. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-20-2006, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your offense is no where near as good as cleveland's. 790 runs last year to 723

[/ QUOTE ]

well mags and guillen were hurt quite a bit, plus we didnt have polanco for the first half. but i agree i am just hoping to win 5-10 more games this year.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:31 PM

I figured I'd make it an extra large picture because this is our year, BITCHES!!!
Old 02-20-2006, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Your offense is no where near as good as cleveland's. 790 runs last year to 723

[/ QUOTE ]

well mags and guillen were hurt quite a bit, plus we didnt have polanco for the first half. but i agree i am just hoping to win 5-10 more games this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Having Curtis Granderson in center instead of Nook Logan will be huge. With Polanco and Guillen healthy the Tigers don't have Omar Infante sucking runs out of their lineup.

FWIW, 1) I'm not a Tigers fan. 2) I still think they're a half-step behind Minnesota, Chicago, and Cleveland, but they could win the division if the other teams have some injuries and they don't.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Which team is your favorite?

[/ QUOTE ]

I will be tortured by the Phillies this year.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think they can make noise in the postseason?

[/ QUOTE ]

Last year for the second half of the season the Phils just needed a lead going into the 8th inning and they where winning. Urbina and Wagner shutting things down. That was a playoff run waiting to happen.

Then in the offseason Urbina goes off and sets a couple of guys on fire and threatens them with a machete. Then Wagner gets a deal that pays him way too much money until he becomes way too old. When he would have taken a better deal from the Phillies if they just offered it to him in August.

So now with three 800 year olds with 250,000 miles on their arms backing the Phillies pen. Two #2 pitchers and three #5 pitchers in the starting rotation. Plus a line-up that could score some runs, unless they are up against a left-handed pitcher, then they are screwed.

I saw a great conspiracy theory a couple of weeks ago where Gillick is trying to tank the first half of the year so that he can fire Manuel. I begining to think it might be true. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 02-20-2006, 07:57 PM

Reds fan.
Somehow I doubt they are going to make much noise. But, as usual, you can say, "Hey, if Griffey stays healthy then...."

Dodgers also: meh. I don't see it happening for them.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:12 PM

Cards fan. And M's fan by default, since I grew up here.

Cards will be tough again, but I don't like the moves they made with their OF corner spots. I also am nervous about Rolen coming back at full strength. They still have Albert though.

The M's have no shot, and I'm already looking forward to booing Jarrod Washburn.