Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2007, 06:10 PM

Default Re: Thoughts on being a Caucasian American

White isn't a culture because it's too diverse. Whites came from Germany, England, Italy, Ireland, they are Jewish, Protestant, Catholic.....

Blacks had very diverse cultures in Africa, but that culture was wrecked. Because until recently they weren't accepted in the larger culture, they created a lot of their own.

Other "races" aren't cultures. Mexican is a lot different than Cuban. Chinese is a lot different than Filipino.

Whatever parts of white American's culture that have formed after leaving the old country aren't white only, they are just American, except for maybe the KKK and such.
Old 05-13-2007, 02:10 AM

You guys should take a tour through Scotland, and look first hand at the wars between those countries.... Our culture is very interesting, and the evolution that took place.
Old 05-13-2007, 03:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm white in America and I often wonder what my "culture" is. I'm not sure we really have one. Is it because we don't have anything that's ours, or is it because there is something "wrong" about White pride?

Is it because we, as a race, haven't been in this country that long in comparison to others?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, that can't be it. White people have been here a long long time. In fact, that 10,000 year old skeleton they found in the pacific northwest is considered by some to be proto-caucasian. Saying so pisses off some of the indians, but there, I've said it.

[ QUOTE ]
We really don't have a music that's ours. Rock and roll, maybe, but the influences of that are a mixture of things that we can't take credit for. My ex-wife is from Mexico. If I told her I hated mariachi music, it was an insult to her and her culture. If someone tells me that they hate rock, I figure they probably like rap.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a whites-only music party once every month or so. We play a lot of Beach Boys, Dick Dale and the Deltones, and then end the evening by listening to Patsy Cline. It pisses off my Black and Hispanic friends that I won't let them attend, but they just wouldn't get it--it's a White thing. Occassionally I let some asians come, but they have to act White.

[ QUOTE ]
When was the last time you went out for American food? What was it? French fries? Not ours. Hamburger? Pizza?

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, you're close, but not quite there yet. Try some meat loaf, macaroni and cheese, and canned peas--LaSeuer's are the best. Add a salad (iceberg lettuce and tomatoes) with some french (not really from France!) dressing and you've got it! The cool thing is, you can get both your mac & cheese and your french dressing from Kraft. Kraft is the best.

[ QUOTE ]
Is it because being pro-white equates to being racist?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you might be a little paranoid here. Nothing wrong with being pro-white--unless you consider the Irish "White." [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
In high school we had a Black Culture Club. There are "Historically Black Colleges" there is "BET." Substitute "white" into any of those any you have controversy. The single most hated group in this country is the KKK. Their methods are certainly wrong, but their underlying tenants are being pro-God and pro-white.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, you're a little off track here. The Klan was formed to protect the rights of Southern Womanhood, so it's more of a feminist organization. Pro-white and pro-God are just icing on the cake.

[ QUOTE ]
There is no name that causes us to go into a fury. Every other race has a demeaning name that can cause radio hosts to get fired. Call me "honky" or "cracker" and I'll laugh. The terms "redneck" or "white trash" are more economic monikers than racial. Call a group of black women "nappy headed-ho's" and you lose your job after being front page news for a week, call a white woman a "straight haired ho" and you may rile up a group of feminists, but most likely everyone will just think you're a chauvinist.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a valid complaint. I used to enjoy being called "the chuck dude with the 'fro," but it has been too many years since I was able to produce that much hair, and I never hear "chuck" anymore.

[ QUOTE ]
Have we been taught to be apologetic for being white? Is there a guilt that we are supposed to feel because our ancestors invaded a land that wasn't theirs, wiped out natural resources and forced the natives onto reservations, stole others from their homelands to come here and work in our fields and sweep our floors?

I don't know what the answers are, but I'm white and it's wierd.

[/ QUOTE ]

I refuse to apologize. Why should I? It's hard enough to be me without apologizing for it. Beside, they just don't understand, it's a white thing. This reminds me, I may add Randy Newman's Sail Away to my musical soirees. Speaking only for myself, I'm as happy as a monkey in a monkey tree.