Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2007, 05:01 PM

Default Re: 24, 5/7

Damn, I stopped watching this about 6 weeks ago - looks like I should try to catch up based on this thread.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Somehow figures out Nadia calling him Mike is a duress code

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't get that at all.

That said, we all know that duress codes have been used in the past. Hell, they used one a few episodes back when Fayed recognized a duress code being used by the guy captured in Mideastia. Last season, they even made a big deal about Jack using an expired duress code ("flank two", back when the airport was taken over).

So we know that CTU has a duress code that signifies the other party that you are saying something under duress. I was wondering why Nadia didn't use such a code. But could using a guy's first name be the duress code? Doyle didn't seem to know how to react.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That would sure be an exciting show if they had the ultimate security and were unstoppable. They should make it so that everyone wears full body armor and no one can get killed. YES OMG IT WOULD BE SO EXCITING IF THEY WERE FULLY PROTECTED!!!11

[/ QUOTE ]

We're merely saying that it is stupidly unbelievable to think that you can break into a high security building so easily.

Do you honestly think that someone could break into the Pentagon or CIA headquarters by exploding a grate in the sewer? Why should we believe the same about CTU?

We're just asking for the 24 writers to put more thought into the storylines. This episode was better than last weeks, but only because it featured what 24 does best--Jack killing a bunch of people. Where 24 fails is when they try to make a coherent storyline.

As fans we want both. We even got both in the first few seasons. And we at least got a lot of Jack being badass in the last 2-3 seasons, even when the storylines were borderline silly. This season, Jack hasn't been badass, making the bad storytelling much more noticeable than before.

IOW, the past few seasons, these threads went like this.

Person 1: I can't believe that [storyline nitpick]
Person 2: Yeah, but did you see when Jack did [something really cool].

This season, these threads have been:

Person 1: I can't believe that [storyline nitpick]
Person 2: Yeah, and Jack was stuck doing absolutely nothing.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
* Didn't President Zubarov say, just last week, that his troops were only an hour away. It's been an hour already.

[/ QUOTE ]
All this time, I've been thinking that his name was spelled with a Z. Turns out, my spelling of his name is completely wrong.

His name is actually spelled Yuri Suvarov
Old 05-08-2007, 10:14 PM

Overall I liked this episode. We needed to see Jack going commando and taking out half the infiltrating force solo. We haven't seen him perform superhuman acts ever since he took out Fayed and his men solo, which was weeks ago.

However...

wtf is up with the bad guys wiping out all of the chump CTU rent-a-cops, yet taking JACK BAUER, THE JACK BAUER, *ARMED* JACK BAUER, prisoner??? Seriously - how is it that no one, not even Cheng, said "do you know who that is? That's Jack [censored] Bauer. Kill him before he gets angry."

Bauer escaping and single-handedly taking back CTU would be a far more entertaining (and believable, actually) plotline than Doyle leading a rescue operation.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Damn, I stopped watching this about 6 weeks ago - looks like I should try to catch up based on this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

no, you really shouldn't
Old 05-08-2007, 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So we know that CTU has a duress code that signifies the other party that you are saying something under duress. I was wondering why Nadia didn't use such a code. But could using a guy's first name be the duress code? Doyle didn't seem to know how to react.

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, I don't know if she used a duress code. Maybe using Doyle's first name was a tip off, but I just thought he picked up on the nervousness in her voice.

I enjoyed the episode. I do find it silly how a lot of situations get handled on 24, but I don't watch it for it's detailed plot.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Any 24 watcher has to be an expert at suspending disbelief, but it's interesting to see how we each focus on different plot twists as particularly hard to swallow.

For me, the whole concept that the Russians would attack us for allowing the Chinese to get their technology is a lot more absurd and irritating that details like how the Chinese manage to infiltrate CTU so easily.

But I probably should not even engage in this kind of analysis; we're all better off if we just focus on the number of people killed each week.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just got around to watching this week's episode tonight, and this is what bothers me more than anything. Which of these looks most like grounds for war:

1) China steals Russian defense technology causing Russia to declare war on China.

2) China sends agents to the US to steal some missiles and directly attacks a government agency killing several people causing the US to declare war on China.

3) A Russian general helps orchestrate a nuclear attack on Valencia, CA, killing 12,000 people, causing the US to declare war on Russia.

4) After said general is killed, the Russian nukes are taken into US custody. A component from one of these nukes is inadvertently lost to the Chinese by a rogue agent causing the Russians to declare war on the US.

Is it really even remotely possible that #4 would cause a war and that #1, #2, and #3 would not? The primary point of the plot is so damn silly right now that I just can't take it. The only good thing is that they killed Milo, so now I don't have to hear him ask "are you OK, are you feeling all right" every 10 seconds when he's supposed to be working on a national crisis. I miss Seasons 1-4.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:39 AM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?

First name isn't the duress code because a few episodes ago she also called doyle by his first name asking if he needed medical attention and Milo got all jealous
Old 05-09-2007, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"do you know who that is? That's Jack [censored] Bauer. Kill him before he gets angry."

[/ QUOTE ]

No Mr Bauer, I expect you to.........die.