Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2007, 01:03 AM

Default Re: Mayweather calls out UFC and MMA as a whole...

[ QUOTE ]
The ground game is getting a bit boring lately because there's been too many guys not staying active on the ground anymore. Even standup, there seems to be a lot more cautious fighters these days. I'm betting the UFC is going to start tinkering with the rules/enforcement a bit to push the action more (stand guys up quicker, deduct points for inaction, etc). I think the ground game is even more exciting than the standup game when done right. Battles between submission fighters can be exhibitions of amazing technical skills.

[/ QUOTE ]

With the acquisition of Pride they might adopt some of the rules there. Yellow cards for stalling and maybe add knees and kicks to a downed opponent.

I'm with you on the ground game. I find it much more exciting than standup, especially when two very good BJJ guys go at it. If I wanted to watch two guys stand up and not even try for a takedown I'd watch boxing.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:07 AM

This might be tough to pull off (no pun intended) w/ the different gloves used, but what do you think about this format?:
16, alternating, one-minute rounds
one round of boxing rules
then a round of MMA rules
the rounds -imo- would have to be short, because given enough time (and it wouldn't take much) the pro at their respective discipline would destroy the other (amateurish) guy. I think this would even be comical, to see a feared boxer scrambling for his life on the mat. Then the next round, a top MMA guy covering his face as he gets picked apart in the corner. Plus, I think the guys would get pretty pissed off/ frustrated. They'd have to work hard to finish in under a minute.
Overall, I think the boxers would take the worst of it. It seems easier to choke someone on the ground than to knock somebody out on your feet.
But, I do think in this setting a Mayweather could come out on top. Really any boxer would have a fighting chance this way.
But, like I said, changing the gloves every round makes it highly improbable.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
UFC is doing a lot of things right.

[/ QUOTE ] From a marketing stand point, I agree. Dana White could probably help turn around boxing as well. I said this a few weeks ago, but in my opinion a good boxing match is better than a good UFC match and I still stand by that. For those who disagree, seriously, go watch some classic boxing on ESPN Classic. The stuff is amazing! Epic battles lasting 10+_ rounds. Punches being thrown left and right, knockdowns, the crazy crowd. Huge behemoths giving everything they have. Just unreal.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, go watch Fedor/Cro Cop, Fedor/Nog 1 & 2, Gomi/Diaz, Cro Cop/Silva, Griffin/Bonnar, Frye/Takayama, etc. etc.

Good MMA fights can be just as good as good boxing fights and vice versa. I don't think either is definitively more entertaining than the other.

I will say that, personally, I'm more interested in a boring MMA match between two no names than its boxing counterpart. But this is only because I'm more interested in MMA in general and have a better understanding of it. I'm sure if I became more interested in boxing, I would enjoy a throwaway preliminary fight just the same.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Whatever. MMA is littered with people who couldn't hack it in the ring. You don't see it working the other way. That should pretty much say everything.

Eliot,

MMA is already where wrestling was. In the trailer parks and joke book.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your comments in this thread show complete ignorance as to the direction in which these two sports are headed.

[/ QUOTE ]Eh, to be honest, I think UFC is a fad. The fights are cool, but in all honesty, most don't live up to the hype. The ground game is probably the most boring aspect of the it and the trend seems to be to going in that direction. If anything, UFC was much cooler when it was filled with boxing outcast that loved beating the hell out of people. All these MMA guys are pretty boring to watch. If Liddell wasn't in UFC, I think I probably wouldn't even watch it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everybody has a right to their opinion, but the numbers don't lie. UFC's growth shows no signs of slowing.

[/ QUOTE ]
Logically it's growth will have to slow because of how much it has exploded in the past year.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Whatever. MMA is littered with people who couldn't hack it in the ring. You don't see it working the other way. That should pretty much say everything.

Eliot,

MMA is already where wrestling was. In the trailer parks and joke book.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your comments in this thread show complete ignorance as to the direction in which these two sports are headed.

[/ QUOTE ]Eh, to be honest, I think UFC is a fad. The fights are cool, but in all honesty, most don't live up to the hype. The ground game is probably the most boring aspect of the it and the trend seems to be to going in that direction. If anything, UFC was much cooler when it was filled with boxing outcast that loved beating the hell out of people. All these MMA guys are pretty boring to watch. If Liddell wasn't in UFC, I think I probably wouldn't even watch it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everybody has a right to their opinion, but the numbers don't lie. UFC's growth shows no signs of slowing.

[/ QUOTE ]
Logically it's growth will have to slow because of how much it has exploded in the past year.

[/ QUOTE ]

They've just acquired Pride Fighting and now have far and away the best roster of MMA fighters in the world. They still have lots of room to grow with the quality of the fights they can now potentially put together. I think we won't have a good sense of where the UFC will top out at until about the end of 2008. That should be enough time for the UFC to shake things out with this acquisition and put on quality PPV after PPV.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How long would it take Mayweather to develop enough of a ground game to be able to fight in the UFC? I'm guessing about 18 months of intense training and he would be able to have enough ground defense to get into a ring.

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on what you mean by "get into a ring". When Cro Cop started, he had basically no ground defense at all.
At first, he even had to fight in matches with special rules. But within two years, he was one of the top 3 HWs in Pride.

Within four years, an NCAA national champion in wrestling and an Olympic Gold medal Judoka can't take him down.

Cro Cop vs. Yoshida

Cro Cop vs. Coleman

Cro Cop's MMA record
Old 05-07-2007, 02:01 AM

Both FM and White make idiotic statements in this. A buncha hot air from both sides.

A UFC fighter isn't going to beat a champion boxer at boxing and vice versa.

However, I think the better chance goes to a boxer fighting in the UFC(many UFC fights were on without going to the ground). The boxing skill in UFC is atrocious(one benefit Liddell has is that his competition absolutely sucks in the boxing dept.) No way a UFC beats any top ranked fighter in boxing.

b
Old 05-07-2007, 02:15 AM

DKSr, I hope you are right. I would like to see the fighters stood up for inactivity on the ground. I don't want to pay to watch nothing happening.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
DKSr, I hope you are right. I would like to see the fighters stood up for inactivity on the ground. I don't want to pay to watch nothing happening.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the UFC needs to add something like the Pride yellow card to avoid boring standup fights like Arlovski/Werdum and Sanchez/Koscheck. Those were brutal.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the UFC needs to add something like the Pride yellow card to avoid boring standup fights like Arlovski/Werdum and Sanchez/Koscheck. Those were brutal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm convinced that since Arlovski lost his title to Sylvia, he's been trying to sabotage the UFC by having the most boring fights in the history of MMA. I think the UFC needs to dump him. The heavyweight division is stacked right now and they don't need him, even if he were to fight like his old self again.

Koscheck has always been boring because he only knows how to wrestle and has no idea how to finish a fight. I was starting to think the same thing about Rashad Evans, but his last couple fights finally gave me hope that he can be an entertaining fighter.