Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2007, 02:31 AM

Default Re: Describe some of the most exciting at-bats you\'ve witnessed.

For me it was Dave Henderson vs. Donnie Moore. 1986 ALCS, game 5.

2-2 pitch and Henderson puts it in the seats.

Donnie Moore kills himself later with a shotgun to the face.

Beat that.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:40 AM

I am googling that [censored] right now because I certainly do not believe you
Old 05-07-2007, 02:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am googling that [censored] right now because I certainly do not believe you

[/ QUOTE ]

THAT IS AWESOME I JUST FOUND IT
Old 05-07-2007, 02:46 AM

Regarding Donnie Moore:

It was three years later he killed himself, he was an alcoholic, abused other drugs, and battled severe depression.

He was cut by K.C in 1989, after battling some injuries his last couple years in the majors.
In 1989 he got in a fight with his wife and shot her three times, he then shot himself, his wife somehow survived.

Not that you necessarily said it, but Dave Henderson's homer off Moore MIGHT have played a small part in his shooting his wife, then himself.

**I do remember watching that game on TV, how clutch was that homer, down to their last strike in an elimination game, and Hendu goes yard.

Also, the Sox were down 3-1 at the time, so they had to win games 6 and 7 to get to the infamous World Series against the Mets.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:30 AM

I remember the Henderson/Moore HR also.
Good nomination.

Man I feel old. This guy killing himself is kind of common knowledge in my baseball universe/generation.

Moore doesn't give up that HR the Angels go to the W.S.
Even with the Angels losing the next games he was the guy who was known as not being able to get that 1 final strike to get to the W.S.
it seems the pain of his failure may have played a role in his post-career demise.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:43 AM

Same here, I feel old too, (I believe I'm your age) especially recounting those Will Clark at bats from the late 80's.

The Donnie Moore/Henderson thing is common baseball knowledge for people in their 30's or older, I'm guessing many people on this board had probably never heard of Donnie Moore.

Also in that game the Angels came back to tie it in the ninth and the game went extra innings, and the Angels lost in 11 innings by one run. The eventual winning run scored on a sac fly by that same guy Dave Henderson, and Donnie Moore was still on the mound.

Also a memorable exciting at bat to watch was Canseco's grand slam in his first at bat in the 1988 World Series against the Dodgers. The ball dented the center field camera. Canseco went hitless the rest of the series.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:31 AM

Yeah, sorry I didn't have time to respond last night.

Donnie Moore certainly carried that burden of being the Angels' goat until his death. I think SI did a story on it, how it drove him waaaaaay deep into drugs and depression.

And yes, the Angels were one freakin' strike away from meeting the Mets in the World Series. Two people really wish Donnie Moore had gotten that last strike on Hendu.
Donnie Moore, and Bill Buckner.

That was the first, "are you kidding me?" moment of my life seeing him hit that jack.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:56 PM

i really liked wade boggs pinch hit walk in the 96' world series
Old 05-07-2007, 02:46 PM

Another Will Clark at bat. I went to all the playoff games at the stick in 1989, but this one happened in Chicago so only saw it on TV.

It was Will Clark hitting a grand slam off of Gred Maddux in game one of the NLCS, his second homer of the game giving him 6 RBI's.

Remember, It is said that Will Clark read the lips of Maddux right before the pitch when the catcher went to visit the mound and knew what pitch was coming.
Because of that, you usually see pitchers and catchers cover their mouths with their gloves so the batter can't read their lips.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That was the first, "are you kidding me?" moment of my life seeing him hit that jack.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a huge one for me, too. The whole ninth inning was amazing. Three runs down against Mike Witt, who had been tremendous that game against the whole lineup except Rich Gedman (3 for 3 with a HR), who was otherwise mired in a horrible offensive slump (he'd taken the Charlie Lau swing to absurd extremes).

Baylor hits a huge two-run shot to get them within one, but then Evans pops out and we're down to our last- Rich Gedman. Gene Mauch makes the famous (and unjustly criticized) move to the bullpen: Gary Lucas, a sidearming lefty who had struck Gedman out in all three of their previous encounters.

"It's over. This magical season (Clemens's historic 24-6 year with the 20 K game, Rice's best season in 7 years, Baylor in the clubhouse and at the plate in the clutch, Schiraldi a late season savior in the pen, Oil Can Boyd...) is all gonna end with Rich Gedman doing some painfully ugly Walt Hriniak pirhouettes."

But Lucas hits Gedman with the pitch! Holy crap! In comes Moore and the rest is pretty well-known- though that Hendu homer still seems surreal to me. Much the Gibson shot of Eck in 88 (even moreso with that one) it just didn't look like a home run swing, and the way the ball came off the bat I thought it was going to be a routine fly. I still can't believe it got out.