Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2007, 04:14 AM

Default Re: The Worst Strategy You\'ve Overheard at a Table

[ QUOTE ]
i'm hu at the river. on a KKKKA board.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've been in a 1/2 game with 5 people to the river when the board was showing the unbeatable nuts. Broadway, or quads with an ace (broadway is a lot more common). Just for fun, I bet at it and got two people to fold. One of the players just didn't see what was on the board and admitted it. The other player hmmm'd and haw'd and started to ask the dealer a question and stopped himself and finally mucked. When it was over he tells us "I didn't know if when the 5 cards on the board play if you use kickers or something from the hands to determine the winner and I couldn't call a $100 bet not being sure".

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] NL1/2.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:19 AM

At a 6/12 table I was on the button with AA and it was capped when it got to me with I believe 1 or 2 players already cold calling the cap. I managed to win the pot and after, my neighbor turns to me and says "Surprised you won. Ya know, sometimes you should just fold AA preflop. There's too many people in that will probably flop two pair."
Old 04-30-2007, 04:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've said things like this before. One of my favorite lines in B&M is "you got to be in it to win it." I wonder what percentage of people in this thread got leveled.

[/ QUOTE ]
Definitely. Lots of these one-liners are surely from people quoting the horrible things they've heard other people come up with. I've been known to say such things after winning with some sketchy hand.

One of the greatest poker strategy discussions I ever had was in a small daily tourney. Lady limps with AA and someone behind her raises, he gets called, she pushes, and gets both of 'em to call. And she loses to the likes of TT and KJ. Soon as she's outta ear shot one of the old guys says "serves her right for slowing playing aces--that always happens--if I get AA I'm always always going all-in with it preflop". Old guy next to him nods and says "yep, she was behind all the way". I know I shouldn't, but I can't take it and ask WTF they're talking about, that I think she did pretty darned good getting her money in as a huge favorite. They take this "you dumb little boy" attitude and pat me on the head and explain patiently that AA is a dog in any 3-way pot, and the ONLY way to win with it is to get all-in preflop heads-up. Perhaps unsurprisingly one of these two is a poker dealer.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:09 AM

I think I've posted these before but I don't remember. Not strategy, but I found them to be hilarious. I'm playing 8/16 while waiting for a seat in something else and this game is filled with really ugly people, as most 8/16 games are. Anyway, I overhear the following conversation between the guy on my left and the guy on his left, who, as best I can tell, are a homeless guy (HG) and a caveman (CM).

HG: Yeah I only play Q7 or better when I call a raise.
CM: Me too, you know, Q7 is the computer hand.
HG: How is that?
CM: It comes up more often when you play on the computer.

Then the next one is between me and HG. I raise 99 UTG, he coldcalls and flop is HU.

Flop J46 I bet he calls.
Turn 6 I bet he calls.
River 2 I bet he calls.

I table my hand, he shows his 42o and says "I put you on a Jack" while I stack the chips.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:32 AM

Many times I have been told that a table with lots of fish removes all skill from poker.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:36 AM

Default Re: WHY DO YOU LISTEN TO THESE PEOPLE?

[ QUOTE ]
I want that seat when he leaves! That seat is getting all the best cards." Like a hot seat can expect to stay hot.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are hot seats.

Like any hot streak in any gambling game like blackjack, roulette, craps there is no set way the cards are distributed.

Seat 3 can have the winning hand 20 hands in a row just like red can come up 20 times in a row. Not believing in streaks is vastly -EV. Moving to that seat may be the only way to get in on the good runs of cards.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:09 AM

Default Re: WHY DO YOU LISTEN TO THESE PEOPLE?

[ QUOTE ]
Not believing in streaks is vastly -EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ooh, meta.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've seen people call with something close to the nut low because they thought the bettor was bluffing. I just sat there in disbelief, certainly not saying anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kind of along the same lines: a 5/10 hand I was thankfully not involved in, lots of callers to the river. Origional aggressor bets the river, gets 3 callers, and the guy on the button, who is closing the action, goes "I have to see it," calls, and tables ace high. As if he wouldn't have been able to see the bettor's hand witout calling?!?!?
Old 04-30-2007, 08:07 AM

Tourney in Sarasota, 120 runners and I'm at a table of geniuses...I look down at two black aces, and push all in after 5 limpers, I get immediatly called by UTG, who tables 10-7o...Board no help, I double up and he's crippled. He says"Knew you had the Aces" I ask "So why did you call?" He replies:Because 10-7off is the best hand against aces" To which I state "No, actually, it's more like 7-8 suited" Genius then says "Nope, It's 10-7 it wins 55% of the time against aces. I ran it through my odd calculator TEN times!"
So I say"Wow! Thats quite a sample size" and he says "Hey, you really only need to do it 10 times, everything after that is just repating the past results!"

I hope he isn't doing my taxes this year.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:54 AM

$8/16 limit game at the Bellagio. Old lady complains that there aren't any $10/20 games running anymore. She wants to play higher, but she doesn't have the bank for $15/30 she says. Sounds like a reasonable old woman.

Dealer: "Yeah. You really need a bankroll. Some people say you need sixty big bets!"
Random fish: "Sixteen?"
Dealer: "No. Sixty!"
Old woman: "Oh. Yeah. I don't have that kind of cash."