Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2007, 08:18 AM

Default Re: PSA: EVERYONE READ

[ QUOTE ]
I think the post count function should be removed. Judging by the advice given and comments made by many of those with many posts, I'd imagine they have more posts than $'s in their BR. Apart from a few threads this forum is pretty worthless, the useful part is noticing the generic mistakes people make. Much better to discuss hands with players you know, nothing wrong with posting I suppose, but you have to then be capable of evaluating the advice given and make an effort to comprehend the dynamics of the hand. Even if someone does tell you the correct action, this will do you no good unless you understand the underlying fundamentals.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah if you think it's worthless than leave.

A lot of people that post in ssnl doesn't mean they play nl100 and nl200.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think the post count function should be removed. Judging by the advice given and comments made by many of those with many posts, I'd imagine they have more posts than $'s in their BR. Apart from a few threads this forum is pretty worthless, the useful part is noticing the generic mistakes people make. Much better to discuss hands with players you know, nothing wrong with posting I suppose, but you have to then be capable of evaluating the advice given and make an effort to comprehend the dynamics of the hand. Even if someone does tell you the correct action, this will do you no good unless you understand the underlying fundamentals.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why leave? Not going to cut off my nose to spite my face. The fact that this thread exists is evidence that this forum has its shortcomings.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:46 AM

I haven't been here in the past, and only recently started regularly reading/posting here,
but my biggest problem with the current state of SSNL is not so much the hands posted, but the responses to a lot of the posts.

Perhaps I too am guilty of this, but there is just so much bad advice given by people that don't even have a clue, and it really takes away from any meaningful discussion.
It seems like they post, just because they're in front of a computer, instead of as previously mentioned, reading more.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly,
I see a lot of these same people in MSNL, giving one word answers to hands, in which they clearly haven't or don't know how to think about.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:15 AM

Serious reply. Since i have been here, the forum has ebbed and flowed. When I was a noob, I was blasted daily by the likes of TheWorstPlayer, xorbie, isura, Fimulwinter, Ghazban, BigJim and YvesSaint. Their tough love helped elevate my game dramatically. I went from NL$50 to NL$200 in a couple of months (remember I only play recreationally).

As most of the regulars probably remember, a little over a year ago I went on a crusade to eliminate the "Should I fold KK pre-flop" threads that were a daily occurrence. It took a few weeks, but here we are some time later and these threads no longer appear very often and when they do, the OP is usually pointed to the Master Sticky.

I guess what I am saying is that the guys that really want to improve will absorb the criticize and barbs and get better. Sure we run off a few posters with thin skins, but that's part of life.

The question that mods need to be asking themselves is: Should we be moving some of the basic SSNL threads (3-bet with AK) to uNL? I'd be very interested to hear Ed and matrix comment on that. Also, I think that locking threads and pointing the offending OP to the Master Sticky is another approach worth thinking about.

Actually, I am going to start another thread on how we can improve SSNL.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
-treat everyone with respect. I am guilty of this at times, and I'll too quickly dismiss what I think of as a dumb idea or statement. SSNL is a friendly place, and too quickly I see we are losing that one trait.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isnt getting enough attention IMO.

I've had my fair share of "experiments" in the past. For example, I experimented with playing Full Ring in Dec 06-Feb 07. Not to really single anyone out, but I cannot remember one poster saying "That's cool that you're trying something new" or "I hope all is well", rather the responses were "Nit" or "FRLOL". Maybe I just have a selective memory.

I don't really want to be negative about this issue, just saying what i've experienced/noticed. Given that I (probably) get a little more respect/credibility for being around for a while and having posts, I cannot imagine being a newbie and running into many people who have this attitute towards my ideas. I am probably guilty of this in the past as well, but experiencing it really opens my eyes.

I'll leave it at that. This is probably only 20% of what other people have written though.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:22 AM

I tend to agree with orange here. I don't post much in SSNL but read a lot more (I never have posted much here, racked up my huge post count in sttf - gasp). I haven't really noticed which regs left but I've noticed a few posting in msnl so assume they've moved up. SSNL outside the [censored] thread and giving back will always remain for most a transient forum.

I've gotten a lot of crap at times about lines I've suggested on hands and generally refrain from posting advice on this or uNL because of it, even though I've gone out of my way to say I'm starting over learning nl as a new game. "zomg, u have 3k posts how can you be such a fishdonk moran."

As long as Jay is here, all is right in the world.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't been here in the past, and only recently started regularly reading/posting here,
but my biggest problem with the current state of SSNL is not so much the hands posted, but the responses to a lot of the posts.

Perhaps I too am guilty of this, but there is just so much bad advice given by people that don't even have a clue, and it really takes away from any meaningful discussion.
It seems like they post, just because they're in front of a computer, instead of as previously mentioned, reading more.

[/ QUOTE ]

One thing that occurs to me is that those of us who have less experience and fewer poker skills should elaborate OUR answers more clearly rather than hide our ignorance behind curt answers...then the more experienced and skilled among us can (if they would be so kind) critique the areas where WE need to improve.

You never learn a subject more completely than by teaching it ( I know because this is what I do for a living ). I hope to become a valued member of these forums and hope that those "in the know" will correct my "stupid" answers knowing that that is why I am here.

If this is not "part of the process" then please let me know...
Old 04-25-2007, 10:34 AM

42it I think you're just wrong here. The forums are divided up by big blind, which effects the way the hands are played, not divided up by the quality of the posts or posters. So moving a 200nl should I 3bet AK here hand doesn't help anyone since those who play 25nl won't have a clue.

I don't know what so many people here are ignorting this fact: if you don't want to read about another AK hand- dont! Or don't reply. No one is forcing you to. There's a lot of crap on TV but I don't blame anyone, I just don't watch what I don't like. Maybe where there weren't so many people 2/3 threads were 'great'. but not there there are more people and posts only 1/4 threads are 'great'. there still are great threads, but because of the size and traffic of the forum they are more difficult to find (but still there) and if you just ignore the easy ones instead of making threads about how bad SSNL is and how noobs should go downstairs progress could have been made by now.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:36 AM

The reason for so many of the one word replies is that people are posting stupidly obvious hands all the time. That and some bad advice coming from more established "regs", its little wonder that they have been posting 100nl hands for 2 years now, but that still doesnt stop them making condescending, poorly thought-out responses.