Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Entertainment Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who will win the NFC West?
Seattle Seahawks 68 83.95%
Arizona Cardinals 11 13.58%
St. Louis Rams 1 1.23%
San Francisco 49ers 1 1.23%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-23-2007, 04:49 PM

Default Re: Phil Stacey and Vote For the Worst

Analyst - oh you know, if you wanted, after the Idol season ends, I'd take an over / under bet for fun on her first album sales (I say after the season because I believe whether she wins or not would influence her sales, so maybe we should have that info first).

-Al
Old 04-23-2007, 04:57 PM

Al,

I'm a musician and have had lots of vocal training in a previous life (stopped a few years ago). IMO, Melinda is the best vocalist AI has ever had (of course this is subjective). But objectively, she is consistently in tune, understands dynamics better than any other singer on the show, and has the chops to pull it off. She is technically an amazing singer. I don't think this will be her peak at all, and I don't think Analyst is crazy when he says she will have many Grammys in a few years.

The genres that you mentioned in another post are all underrepresented in mainstream America today. AI put Melinda in front of a massive audience and gave her millions of fans. I think if you like those styles of music (I do too) you're going to hear a lot of it out of her in the next few years. And I really hope I'm (and others are [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]) right.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Analyst - oh you know, if you wanted, after the Idol season ends, I'd take an over / under bet for fun on her first album sales (I say after the season because I believe whether she wins or not would influence her sales, so maybe we should have that info first).

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]
Ha. I was thinking about a prop bet too. Later in the season, my friend, I might be down.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:28 PM

GRB / Analyst - for modest sums of money I would be interested in this bet! Let me do some research on past Idol contestants and let's talk later in the season.

(Also I'm going to listen again to Doolittle performances... I mean am I missing something?)

-Al
Old 04-23-2007, 05:57 PM

Al,
I'm a Woman
I think this one is my favorite. After rewatching it, she's just plain sick.

I think it's interesting how she works with the band. I remember seeing it live and noticing how much the backup singers were enjoying singing with her. And for a lot of that song the band's silent. She is the main instrument, and they're all backing her up. I don't think you can say that about a lot of the performances this year.

She's just really good at conveying the song. I don't know how to describe it, but some of the guests have mentioned how you have to understand the lyrics to sing a song well. She shows attitude where it's warranted, softens up when she needs to, hell she growls in this one because it's an empowering song. She does so many little things that set her apart - walking to the back of the stage to confer with the other women ("I don't think they heard me"). Awesome performance. I don't think these are things you're missing, it just might not be your cupotea. I like her a lot though.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My problem with Jordin is her personality. I realize she's young, but she acts even younger. The non-stop perkiness and giggliness is really annoying in a 17-year old IMO. I don't think that's how your typical 17yo acts. Maybe a 10-12 year old.

She seems more like she'd be suited for a Disney channel show than a career selling out arenas and selling millions of CDs. I can't imagine her market being anything other than pre-teen girls. She's just too pageanty and annoying. I can't see an adult ever buying her CDs, and I'd think a teenager with even the slightest amount of coolness wouldn't like her either.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not many 17-year-olds have had their life turned into a nonstop E-ticket ride. I think she's a very normal girl in an exceptional situation. One of her strongest traits is she seems 100% genuine. Her excitement is real and so are the tears when people she cares about are voted off.

Sanjaya is actually the strange one. He seems so mature and in control of himself at all times that it's almost spooky. I don't like his act but I greatly admire his cool head, courage, and resourcefulness.

Anyway there is nothing wrong with acting your age. Jordin is growing up in front of our eyes and will continue to do so after AI. Everything you complained about is only temporary. Meanwhile she will learn a thousand things that Melinda already knows and become a much better performer in the process. One of the reasons I want her to win is to ensure she gets the best possible teachers.

Melinda is a better singer and may always be, but she is a mediocre performer and I don't see that changing. She's too old and the potential for major improvement doesn't seem to be there.

Gwen Stefani night was illuminating. Gwen is a genuine star slightly older than Melinda and she just radiates wherever she goes. She's not an exceptional singer and virtually admitted that several of the idols are better. But it doesn't really matter because she's got all of the star qualities instead of just a voice.

Jordin could easily grow up to be the next Gwen Stefani in ten years. Or not because potential is merely potential and not achievement. Melinda has no hope of ever being anything like Gwen. Before someone says "genre" let me mention a more suitable role model: Donna Summer, the singer that Melinda covered that night. Donna was exactly the huge star that Melinda is never going to be because Donna had the great voice and so much more too.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:04 PM

StellarWind I realize Idol's not JUST a singing competition but it is a major componant. The judges, especially Simon, have a big influence on the voting. All a contestant has to do is have an excellent vocal effort and the judges will rain praise on them. The fans will then appreciate that effort that much more.

And as far as the "who has more raw talent" discussion, my opinion (surprise, surprise)is that clearly Lakisha has the most. Melinda may or not at this point be the better singer but she is a professional(btw, how does she qualify for Idol?)back up singer. Lakisha with some training can be an unbelievable talent.

Thing85, I do have lots and lots of shares plus plenty straight bets on Lakisha but if she loses I'll be fine. GoRedBirds has given me the link to Careerbuilder.com so I can still pay the rent. Meanwhile, not to worry because as I keep saying Lakisha is going to bring it. And who knows, maybe, probably not, but maybe, I will hedge when, not if, Lakisha makes it to the finals.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did you ever stop to think that the reason Melinda is a background vocalist is because of her lack of self-confidence?

[/ QUOTE ]
Absolutely.

Did you ever stop to think that you just gave her the Kiss of Death?

The night Melinda can stand on the AI stage and act like she owns the place is the night I start rethinking my opinion. It's the most important star quality there is. More than Sanjaya's hair or anything else, his stage presence is what allowed Sanjaya to reach 7th place with no appreciable singing talent.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:59 PM

It's pretty obvious that winning AI would be the highlight of almost anyone's career, Melinda's included. There will be a few exceptions, of course -- Kelly and Carrie have had and will have bigger highs -- but even for the big names who keep performing (Ruben, Fantasia, Taylor, Katharine, Clay, etc.), nothing really tops winning the biggest show on TV.

That said, those of us voting 'yes' in the poll (which is to say, the sane people) aren't saying Melinda won't keep working. On the contrary, she can have a long, successful career with a lot of solid records and good gigs, etc. But even with a long career she will have to say that winning AI (if she wins) will be the hype highlight. Now if she goes out in 4th or whatever, then yes, Idol will not be her career high.

As for Blake, he was in the B3 because he had to sing a country song and Blake ain't country. He'll bounce back this week, and I can guarantee he won't be in the B3 (obv. Phil, LaKisha, and Chris). Katharine and Fantasia were also in the B3 around this stage and didn't leave, then went on to finish 2nd and 1st respectively.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's pretty obvious that winning AI would be the highlight of almost anyone's career, Melinda's included. There will be a few exceptions, of course -- Kelly and Carrie have had and will have bigger highs

[/ QUOTE ]
2 out of 5 winners have had huge award-winning careers and "bigger highs" in the few years following their wins. That's 40%. That's a pretty good shot. Also, the three other winners weren't the best singers in their own season. I think (and others think, including evidently the three judges) that Melinda has the best voice this year. I know she's relatively old and I know she's not going to be a pop-video type like Gwen Steffani, but she will be very successful IMO. Going off history, I don't think it's insane to think that Melinda has bigger things coming up.

StellarWind, I don't understand about your stage presence post. Are you talking about the interviews and after show thing? I agree that Sanjaya was incredibly gracious as a punching bag, but if you were talking about his performances, I have no idea where you are coming from. It was funny/interesting at first, but it was hard to watch his later performances because of how awkward and just plain weird they were. I guess he's making a career out of it, so I shouldn't feel sorry for him, but I did. And watching that link I posted above for Al, I thought Melinda handled the stage as well as anybody. I'm starting to feel like TheVegan backing my horse here, so I'm gonna stop for a while.

Joker, great work in MSLHE BTW. You've helped me a lot.