Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2007, 07:12 PM

Default Re: question about child support

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I agree with iron here. It's at least somewhat unfair to the dad, but it would be even more unfair that the child not be adequately supported.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, then why not make society pay for the child instead of the biological father? We could certainly construct a system where the father has a choice and if he makes a choice not to support the child then the government can pay the child support.

[/ QUOTE ]
"Society" didn't [censored] the mother. This just absolves the man of any responsibility for his actions whatsoever. And I'll bet that this is the case to a degree already with current welfare laws. Sure has worked well for low-income people, hasn't it?

[/ QUOTE ]

And the man didn't grow a kid and birth it.

[/ QUOTE ]
He certainly contributed. It takes two to tango...

[ QUOTE ]
If the woman can't support a kid by herself, or can not support one wiht her husband/boyfriend/jackass down the block bending her over, she should get on some good birth control.

[/ QUOTE ]
That doesn't always work (see the Pregnant GF thread in OOT).

[ QUOTE ]
Almost all of these teenage chicks having kids have 'the state' pay regardless of whether or not the teenage boy kicks in some child support.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's a problem of the state, imo. The poster I was responding to was advocating that "society" pay for the actions of irresponsible men. I say that it already does to an extent and I think the effects such policies have are clear for the poor, especially blacks.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm proposing a new law. Under the current laws, yes the man should know the risks before sticking it in, but why should it be that way?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol ... so why can't I do whatever I want and not have to take responsibility for my actions? great idea...

Sorry you knocked her up, dude, hope it works out for the kid

[/ QUOTE ]ummm, first off this is a theory question

Second off look at it like this chart:

having a baby: who has a say?
Woman wants baby, Man wants baby = baby
Woman wants baby, Man doesn't want baby = baby
Woman doesn't want baby, Man wants baby = no baby
Woman doesn't want baby, Man doesn't want baby = no baby

woman has sole responsibility of whether or not the baby gets born. Why should man have to pay for the woman's decision?

[/ QUOTE ]

because a lot of the time it's not a "decision". It just happens.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why should a guy have to pay child support if a girl gets pregnant outside of marriage?

My proposed solution: if a girl gets pregnant she has the right to get an abortion. When she chooses not to have an abortion she has decided to take the baby and all the responsibilities for the baby.

It does not seem fair to me that the man has no say at all whether or not the baby is born but has to pay regardless of choosing to keep the baby or not. It seems more fair that the woman can choose whether or not to keep the baby but should have to pay herself.

My guess is that I'm overlooking something important, so help me out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of curiosity, under what circumstances would you order a man to pay child support if he'd rather have the fetus aborted than pay child support and the woman didn't want to have an abortion.