Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2007, 02:04 PM

Default Re: Two points against Intellectual property laws

[ QUOTE ]
Worse than the status quo for some very small percentage of musicians.

[/ QUOTE ]

MY PO-KNEE TWO SLOW
Old 04-12-2007, 02:04 PM

b-dog,

You own me a lot. I have no response.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why does everyone not understand this simple concept? An idea is not bound to being in one physical location like a chair is. If I have a chair, it means everyone else does not have that chair. If I have an idea, it DOES NOT mean that I am depriving anyone else of posession of it.

You are confusing scarcity with rareness. An idea might be rare, but this does not mean it is scarce.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay...so expand outward with this idea, then. Let's say that all IP laws are dissolved. What does the situation look like for, say, a musician?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I have a law that makes me the only person allowed to create software in the world, and that law is abolished, my income is going to drop a lot. Musicians will probably be more focused on performances that cannot be reproduced or companies that produce records will try to make them very hard to copy without permission.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why does everyone not understand this simple concept? An idea is not bound to being in one physical location like a chair is. If I have a chair, it means everyone else does not have that chair. If I have an idea, it DOES NOT mean that I am depriving anyone else of posession of it.

You are confusing scarcity with rareness. An idea might be rare, but this does not mean it is scarce.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay...so expand outward with this idea, then. Let's say that all IP laws are dissolved. What does the situation look like for, say, a musician?

[/ QUOTE ]

No different than it does today for 99.9% of musicians who labor creatively with no hope of being compensated for it?

[/ QUOTE ]

So it is better to adversely affect one segment of a group of people and neutrally affect the rest of the group than to at least let some of them benefit?
Old 04-12-2007, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No...but the ability to have those ideas is scarce. Not everyone can make a breakthrough in quantum physics. Not everyone can write "Hey Jude." Not everyone can envision a new cancer treatment. Just because there is no tangible restriction on resources doesn't mean that there isn't a restriction on the ability for people to produce those ideas.

[/ QUOTE ]

And even without IP laws, nobody will be able to steal your "ability to have those ideas". That ability is still scarce, and yours alone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Terrific, as long as I keep them to myself. Unfortunately, if I wanted to, say, get paid for my idea, I'd have to share it with others. However, as soon as I do that, now it's not my idea any more, so how can I demand compensation for it?
Old 04-12-2007, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No...but the ability to have those ideas is scarce. Not everyone can make a breakthrough in quantum physics. Not everyone can write "Hey Jude." Not everyone can envision a new cancer treatment. Just because there is no tangible restriction on resources doesn't mean that there isn't a restriction on the ability for people to produce those ideas.

[/ QUOTE ]

And even without IP laws, nobody will be able to steal your "ability to have those ideas". That ability is still scarce, and yours alone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Terrific, as long as I keep them to myself. Unfortunately, if I wanted to, say, get paid for my idea, I'd have to share it with others. However, as soon as I do that, now it's not my idea any more, so how can I demand compensation for it?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's your problem, not mine. Why do you feel you're entitled to compensation?
Old 04-12-2007, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So it is better to adversely affect one segment of a group of people and neutrally affect the rest of the group than to at least let some of them benefit?

[/ QUOTE ]

Neutral? Are you sure?
Old 04-12-2007, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's your problem, not mine. Why do you feel you're entitled to compensation?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you feel you're entitled to compensation for anything you do, either?
Old 04-12-2007, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Neutral? Are you sure?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going off the model I was given. I have yet to hear how this benefits musicians on the whole.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Neutral? Are you sure?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going off the model I was given. I have yet to hear how this benefits musicians on the whole.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, by "rest of the group" I thought you meant everyone, not just musicians. So why do you ignore the effects on everyone else?