Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > About the Forums
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2007, 05:19 AM

Default Scandinavian forum?

We now have the German forum and Mat writes that "We hope this will be the first among many forums offering different languages". Poker is huge in scandinavia (link) so I'm sure that there would be enough traffic in Swedish, Norwegian and Danish forums.

What I would like to see though is a joint forum for all three scandinavian countries. Our languages are pretty similar and we do understand eachother (well, at least in writing, I can never hear what the danes say. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ).

There are already some well established forums for poker discussion in swedish and I'm sure that the same is true for Norway and Denmark so I don't feel that a swedish forum at 2+2 is something that I would read a lot. A scandinavian forum would be more interesting. Thoughts?
Old 04-11-2007, 06:13 AM

Default Re: Scandinavian forum?

Hi DH:

What you're suggesting is certainly something that we may want to do sometime in the future. Right at the moment though we just want to make sure that the German Forum is done right and done well.

Once we feel confident there, then there's no reason why we can't venture into other languages. Poker is no longer just an American game, and our books are being translated into many different languages. So a Scandinavian forum(s) is certainly a possiblity "down the road a little ways."

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 04-11-2007, 07:27 AM

Hello DH

What should we talk about that we can't discuss with our Anglo-American friends? Except when we talk about them, of course [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Cheers,

Smurf

PS: One day everybody will be speaking Danish! We already outnumber the rest of the world 0.001 to 1.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What should we talk about that we can't discuss with our Anglo-American friends? Except when we talk about them, of course [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that the topics would be pretty much the same. The main reason for having it would be the same as for the German forum, which I guess is that some people feel more comfortable discussing in their native language.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that the topics would be pretty much the same. The main reason for having it would be the same as for the German forum, which I guess is that some people feel more comfortable discussing in their native language.

[/ QUOTE ]

Problem is most people can discuss things in English just as easily. That and what exactly is the Scandinavian forum? While the languages are written similarly, it would seem weird to have dansk, svensk, og norsk all right next to each, no?

And I'd probably participate in this forum just to improve my Danish, but I'm not so sure it is necessary.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Problem is most people can discuss things in English just as easily.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, most people can easily discuss in English, but I think that there is a large enough group who finds it a lot easier to use their native language that these forums make sense. I think a lot of beginners would be more likely to go there when starting out. 2+2 could attract new players to these forums, players that would then move on to the other forums.

Also, it would be another one of the "communities within the community", the forums that are now sorted under "2+2 communities". Now that 2+2 is huge, a lot of people like to hang out there just because of the community feeling. It is easier to get to know people etc.

[ QUOTE ]
That and what exactly is the Scandinavian forum? While the languages are written similarly, it would seem weird to have dansk, svensk, og norsk all right next to each, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

A little weird in the beginning probably but it's easy to get used to. Products in scandinavia (like schampoo bottles etc.) often use a combination of e.g. norwegian/swedish where only the words that are really different are written in both languages.

[ QUOTE ]
And I'd probably participate in this forum just to improve my Danish

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-11-2007, 11:38 AM

Admonitio complures lusores sunt qui latine loquuntur.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Admonitio complures lusores sunt qui latine loquuntur.

[/ QUOTE ]
Your mom.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:58 AM

Quis haec simia est tuq appellatur?
Old 04-11-2007, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quis haec simia est tuq appellatur?

[/ QUOTE ]

Where have you been Bluff?