Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Is it FPS to limp with AK to trap short stacks?
Yes 15 83.33%
No 3 16.67%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-31-2007, 09:29 PM

Default Re: Which 22 yr old? Timmy or Bird

Karl Marx.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:29 PM

sexy
Old 03-31-2007, 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Karl Marx.

[/ QUOTE ]

Engels was a better outside shooter; I would take Zedong over either.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I'll admit I am totally biased and just lol at these Larry Bird, Magic, MJ threads since they are they holy trinity in my mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not alone. Many 20-35 year olds got into basketball in the 80s. As a result, they idolize this generation and way overrate the players from the 80s. I'm not saying they weren't great. They were. But with the expansion of the NBA into a global game, advanced medicine and training, and kids starting at younger ages the players have only gotten better today.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who at their respective positions today are better than these 3 guys assani? Who in the game at any position are better than these guys? Lemmes know plz and dont even consider coming with nash.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that if I were starting a team today and could have any rookie of the past 30 years for his entire career, I would take Jordan. But I think that I could definitely make an argument for a few guys over Bird/Magic. Shaq for one. Kobe is another. And then theres all of the young guys who I think could have a better career, namely Wade and Lebron. Duncan and Garnett too are in the discussion.

[/ QUOTE ]

More than any other players I have seen, Bird and Magic had "court sense". They were in total command, and it made everybody on their team better. Nash has discovered this Zen and he is 2 time MVP. Imagine what Nash would see, the angles he could pass, the command he would have, if he was 6'9''. That's Magic and Bird.

I am amazed by Kobe. But to want to start a team with Kobe over Magic tells me you don't understand basketball. Garnett is intense, and can really get up, but he's not Bird. Its about an entire career "in the zone", its the bending of reality through sheer will and concentration of the mind, telling X-man, a bad bad dude, that I am going to get the ball right here and shoot it in your face and win this game, and doing it, its Phil Jackson's instant chuckle when you ask him Kobe vs Jordan watcha think Phil...
Old 04-01-2007, 11:35 AM

Well this thread turned into a total clusterf***, didn't it. Oh well.

JoA,

"In a few years, Duncan, Duncan."

Do you think he will win another ring or two, or is that based purely on longetivity?
Old 04-01-2007, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I'll admit I am totally biased and just lol at these Larry Bird, Magic, MJ threads since they are they holy trinity in my mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not alone. Many 20-35 year olds got into basketball in the 80s. As a result, they idolize this generation and way overrate the players from the 80s. I'm not saying they weren't great. They were. But with the expansion of the NBA into a global game, advanced medicine and training, and kids starting at younger ages the players have only gotten better today.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who at their respective positions today are better than these 3 guys assani? Who in the game at any position are better than these guys? Lemmes know plz and dont even consider coming with nash.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that if I were starting a team today and could have any rookie of the past 30 years for his entire career, I would take Jordan. But I think that I could definitely make an argument for a few guys over Bird/Magic. Shaq for one. Kobe is another. And then theres all of the young guys who I think could have a better career, namely Wade and Lebron. Duncan and Garnett too are in the discussion.

[/ QUOTE ]

More than any other players I have seen, Bird and Magic had "court sense". They were in total command, and it made everybody on their team better. Nash has discovered this Zen and he is 2 time MVP. Imagine what Nash would see, the angles he could pass, the command he would have, if he was 6'9''. That's Magic and Bird.

I am amazed by Kobe. But to want to start a team with Kobe over Magic tells me you don't understand basketball. Garnett is intense, and can really get up, but he's not Bird. Its about an entire career "in the zone", its the bending of reality through sheer will and concentration of the mind, telling X-man, a bad bad dude, that I am going to get the ball right here and shoot it in your face and win this game, and doing it, its Phil Jackson's instant chuckle when you ask him Kobe vs Jordan watcha think Phil...

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice post, and to the poster who believes today's players are superior, I would disagree from a 'court sense' perspective. Many players today from a young age seem to have more of an Allen Iverson sense of the game, a slash and get to the hoop priority, with less of an understanding of how this style inhibits the play of your teammates. I think the Lakers, Celtics, 76'ers, and Pistons teams of the 80's would definitely be championship teams here in the 21st century.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I am amazed by Kobe. But to want to start a team with Kobe over Magic tells me you don't understand basketball.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally ignoring their skill levels, Kobe plays an extremely similar style to MJ. Now I don't want to get into a debate about their skill levels, but I blieve they are very very close.

Would you take Magic over MJ? Probably not. So I can't see how you can be so adament that Magic is better than Kobel
Old 04-01-2007, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Reading through your entire post again, I think you're a perfect example of the guy that fell in love with the NBA during the Magic/Bird/Jordan era and has overrated those players and the entire era as a result. This whole "in the zone", "court sense", "bending of reality through shear will", and so on....its simply not true. Bird and Magic were not superhuman, and they had their weaknesses.

Bird never faced a long and lengthy athletic defender like a Tayshuan Prince or a Kevin Garnett. I'm sure that he would adjust, but its something that he never had to deal with.

Look, I'm not saying they're not fabulous players....they are. Definitely top 15 of all time, and it can be argued even top 5(although I'd disagree). But they've been given God like status by so many people and it just isn't true.
Old 04-01-2007, 03:32 PM

The MVP today is Steve Nash. Why? Is he so fast or can he jump so high? No, he sees the game the same way Bird and Magic did. Makes the same passes, controls the game, makes everybody better.

The difference is Don Nelson can punk Nash on the other end downlow with scrubs guards since he's so damn short and weak. You think when he was coaching the Bucks, Nelson said, Geez Magic is killing us, I'll just make him work and post him up. HE WAS SEVEN FEET TALL (with the converse and the afro). That's why these guys got 8 rings, and Nash has zero. If Nash was bigger, he'd be an all-time great. He ain't, these guys were.

This is today's MVP. 2 times. And I agree. Ask yourself why he is the best.

A few more points, Micheal Cooper was Tayshuan before Tayshuan. If Dirk can get his shot off, Bird can too, fade and shoot behind your head a bit, a couple of inches isn't going to make a difference. Bird passes 100% better than Dirk, shoots just as good, more steals, tons better rebounder, tougher. THIS IS YOUR MVP TODAY! lol.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe Shaq and thats it. The rest I'll take magic and bird everytime. Concerning LeBron and Wade, you have no idea how they will turn out in the end and to pick them over two of the greatest players ever on potential is just plain silly. Duncan is the next closest but still not higher than bird of magic. Magic and bird took over games, Tim Duncan is extremely consistent and a great player but he doesnt just take over like those two. KG, I love him, but hell no. Hes got ability and a desire to win but he just doesnt get it done. I know hes had literally no one to work with, but look at AI. He took a team full of nobodies, not 1 single other AS level player and got to the finals, even won a game. AI's my fav player and I'm not dumb enough to take him over bird or magic.