Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2007, 10:43 PM

Default Re: Real questions about pro choice

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pro-choice is a very cheery name in opposition to 'pro-life' - pro-death ?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can be completely and totally opposed to abortion and still be pro-choice. Do you see why?

[/ QUOTE ]

...One who is personally against abortion but does not want to impose their feelings on another person. Semantics, and not the issue I am hoping to discuss. I am asking about your feelings regarding your own choices and why you would make them.

[ QUOTE ]
Both names are crap. Correct are "pro-abortion" and "anti-abortion".

[/ QUOTE ]

You can be against abortions and be pro-choice. No, pro-choice is a good name.

true.

[ QUOTE ]
A zygote has a much higher probability of creating life than a skin cell - a high enough probability to consider this argument a ridiculous comparison.

[/ QUOTE ]
and a sperm has a much higher probability than a skin cell. that's why I say off with their balls.

and a skin cell has a much higher probability than a violin.

Its a silly argument. When (probably not too long now) they can create a person from a skin cell then presumambly that will make scratching worse!!

chez
Old 03-30-2007, 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pro-choice is a very cheery name in opposition to 'pro-life' - pro-death ?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can be completely and totally opposed to abortion and still be pro-choice. Do you see why?

[/ QUOTE ]

...One who is personally against abortion but does not want to impose their feelings on another person. Semantics, and not the issue I am hoping to discuss. I am asking about your feelings regarding your own choices and why you would make them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'm contributing to Godboy's hijacking. Sorry. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-30-2007, 10:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Whether someone favors abortion personally is irrelevant. The question addressed by both sides is specifically whether or not abortion should be legal. If you'd like to elongate the names, you could argue for "pro-legal-abortion" and "anti-legal-abortion" (or, I suppose, "pro-illegal-abortion"), but I prefer the shortened versions.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My argument is this: It is not possible to determine when *exactly* life begins, scientifically, anyway. [If you disagree with this point, please explain].

There are some who have an opinion as to certain biological standards (heart beat, brain activity, etc.), but these have no bearing on the current law that allows abortion in the first trimester. In other words, nothing *biological* happens in week 13 to differentiate a fetus and create a life, but that seems to be the accepted cut-off when the law says it is no longer OK to kill a baby.

1. If you are pro-choice, what is your "cut-off point" after which the mother has no right to take the fetus' life?
2. What is your reasoning?

My suspicion is that many who are Pro Choice have not actually thought this through to the end. They assume that the government must have a reason for the distinction at 13 weeks growth, but have not truly explored what this means.

If you still are not sure what I mean, try working it backwards: At 39 weeks (1 week prior to the due date) mom wants to abort, is this OK? Nope. How about 37 weeks? 35? 30 weeks? OK, how about 24 weeks? 20 weeks? As far as current science knows, no fetus born at 20 weeks can survive outside the womb. But according to our laws, a fetus aborted at 14 weeks gets the mother charged with murder. If she'd done the same thing 2 weeks prior, she's exerting her independence and taking charge of her own body, thank you very much. What gives?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure where you live where someone gets charged with murder for an abortion at any stage. Certainly not the mother ANYWHERE (and ask yourself why that is)in the US. Are you living under Sharia?

Abortion laws are state laws, not federal. And I doubt you can find a single pro-life person who thinks 'the government has a good reason for choosing 13 weeks', even in those states where abortions are illegal after the first trimester (I'm surprised there are any, actually).

I don't see any reason whatsoever for the government to regulate what parents do with unborn children at any stage. Yes, 39 weeks should be legal. I would say that until society has made an investment, society has no say. Something like 5 years old might be an appropriate cut-off, though even that isn't exact.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, safe to say you are not a parent? You think it should be allowed for a parent to terminate the child if he wants? Really? Up to age 5 or so? Come on, be serious.

By investment, are you referring to public education? That is the determining factor that would allow the state to get involved? Really?
Old 03-30-2007, 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Whether someone favors abortion personally is irrelevant. The question addressed by both sides is specifically whether or not abortion should be legal. If you'd like to elongate the names, you could argue for "pro-legal-abortion" and "anti-legal-abortion" (or, I suppose, "pro-illegal-abortion"), but I prefer the shortened versions.

[/ QUOTE ]

pro-right to have an abortion
anti-right to have an abortion
Old 03-30-2007, 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A zygote has a much higher probability of creating life than a skin cell - a high enough probability to consider this argument a ridiculous comparison.

[/ QUOTE ]

not if it isn't cared for (EDIT: sustained, I should say)by the mother

EDIT: in any case, we don't make decisions based on what something COULD be..we make them based on what they are..and a concious being, a zygote is not.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:01 PM

jeesh.. A zygote is the start of a baby.

A skin cell is the start of nothing - it's not dividing to create a baby.

There's a difference.