Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2007, 05:22 PM

Default Re: Greatest sports moment of your entire life?

Winning my first wrestling match(only the 4th match I had ever wrestled, and I was on varsity so that was pretty nice).

Also placed in that tournament, for my first(and only) tournament placing.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Brag:

[/ QUOTE ]

You had to rush off the football field to play in the marching band? And this is a "brag"?
Old 03-28-2007, 05:42 PM

Rowing - I don't even know how we did in this regatta but it was on the Chicago River in autumn and it was below freezing and snowing. My whole body was so damn cold but that's rowing for you.

Soccer - I was always a scrub 2nd place goalkeeper but one time during a summer league I had one glorious game subbing for the "B" team which included some great saves including a penalty shot. What a rush. For a brief moment in time there were people who actually thought I was good.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:48 PM

Cricket
A few years ago for my local 2nds, in the grand final. We went the season undefeated, and smashed all teams along the way.

In the Grand final we made a paultry 130, the other team were 4/118, needing 13 to win with 6 wickets in hand.

Me and my best mate took 6 for 3 to win the game, including my 4 for 1 in my last 2 overs. All bowled.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:53 PM

12th grade, I hit the game winning shot (buzzer beater) in the city basketball semifinals. That has to be the best since it was such a sick game, and I was a hero with the chicks for a while [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Next is probably winning MVP at the city wide basketball all-star game in 13th grade.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:02 PM

I don't consider any moments really great (I guess fatherhood does that to you), but the two I most enjoyed are:

In high school I'm playing in the conference championship with the three guys who are all trying to improve their position in getting scholarships to D1 schools. They're all dressed up in team shirts, hats, matching golf bags, etc (quite "preppy"), while I'm wearing blue jeans and tennis shoes. I quite enjoyed the looks on the faces of those guys and their teams as I was handed the first place trophy.

Another was in college when my girlfriend (now my wife) and my best friend were in the coed intramural championship match against a loaded fraterity/sorority team with six solid players. They had quite a superior attitude towards us. We only had four players, with one player barely having played volleyball before and she volunteered to stay out of the way in the corner of the court (minimum players was four, so she had to play). The three of us proceeded to pummel the other team with great jump serves and back-row kills (as only the men were allowed to do). I doubt any of us has every played as well as that day. Most satisfying with I've had.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:15 PM

High School Freshman Football team

Started at center and inside linebacker, not too much chance for glory. But one game, up four scores, coach pulls most of the first-teamers, which includes letting some scrubs play lineman. He asks me if I want to the run the ball, and I'm like "Hell yeah!" First play is a sweep left, I get taken down in the backfield (due to scrubs non-existent blocking). I get back in the huddle, tell them I've been blocking all year, now it's their turn to show me something (I was also a captain). We go left side off-tackle, I bust through, stiff arm the safety and score a 20 yard touchdown. Every lineman's dream.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:35 PM

Mine are really pathetic, because they have to do with softball (which is hardly a sport), but both moments still make me happy to this day:

Moment #1 - We're playing in the rec league finals against a team of total jerk-offs. They had beaten us all season, and had been completely obnoxious every game. Their coach actually bragged before the finals that he had driven to Montreal (from Ottawa) to pick up a ringer to play in the playoff tournament. Apparently he used to play minor league baseball a few years back. The guy hadn't played all year for this team, but this was technically not against the rules in this league.

The other team was pretty confident, and were trash talking us from the get-go. However, we played solid defence, and were tied 6-6 going into the top of the last inning. I was up to bat with a runner on first and two outs. I smoked the first pitch I saw over the left field fence to make the score 8-6. My team went nuts when the ball left the park, as we REALLY wanted to beat these guys. We held them scoreless in the bottom of the inning to win the championship.

Moment #2 came in the playoffs in the same league last season, against another team of hot-shots. My team is an older team of 30-somethings and 40-somethings. Our opponents were all in their early to mid 20's, and in much better shape. The winner would advance to the finals.

They were up 12-10 going into the final inning. We were the home team, so they were at bat first. I was playing left field and made a diving catch for the 2nd out, and then an over-the-shoulder running catch for the 3rd out to keep the score 12-10.

In the bottom of the inning, I was up third and our first two batters reached base. I launched the first pitch deep over the fence to win the game 13-12. My team mobbed me as I crossed home plate.

Yes, I am a softball hero. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-28-2007, 06:37 PM

Jim Leyritz home run
Old 03-28-2007, 06:39 PM

45 foot double-breaker putt with my head cover on cause "I couldn't be bother to put my beer down" to take it off (put beer down to putt though, but was too lazy to remove head cover).