Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2007, 03:18 AM

Default Re: Are There Any Atheists Who Believe in Rushes?

[ QUOTE ]
Are There Any Atheists Who Believe in Rushes?

[/ QUOTE ]

By-Tor believes in Rush.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Doesn't the whole concept of "neccesary bankroll" exemplify a mathematical proof of rushes? If you were to take a three deviation downswing, wouldn't it be acurate that you will take a balancing upswing, ie, a rush?

[/ QUOTE ]

*No*
Not unless you classify a rush as a lot of good hands in a row. This happens, and the opposite happens, its all part of variance. The idea, however, is that the likelihood of any holding is not in any way influenced by any previous holding.
The chances of having a coin land on heads 10 times in a row is very small. However, if you have flipped a coin and it has landed on heads 9 times in a row the chance that it will land on heads a 10th time is...ready?...50%, same as the first time or any individual time.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The chances of having a coin land on heads 10 times in a row is very small. However, if you have flipped a coin and it has landed on heads 9 times in a row the chance that it will land on heads a 10th time is...ready?...50%, same as the first time or any individual time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody can flip a coin and have it hit heads 10 times in a row. Its impossible. Try it.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:27 AM

If you flipped a coin 9 times and it landed on heads everytime, on the tenth flip you'd be stupid not to bet on heads. I won't bother explaining why, it should be obvious.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nobody can flip a coin and have it hit heads 10 times in a row. Its impossible. Try it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Imagine the following situation: there are one billion golf balls and you pick one of them. I agree it is almost impossible that you will pick exactly the ball #x, so it would be a miracle if you pick this one. But you are 100% sure before picking a ball that a miracle will happen.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Are There Any Atheists Who Believe in Rushes?

[/ QUOTE ]

By-Tor believes in Rush.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is no doubt true, but can the same be said for the snow-dog?
Old 03-22-2007, 10:37 PM

I'm a little confused.. where is the physics angle coming from? What is there to "believe" in physics and why would an atheist have opinions contrary?
Old 03-22-2007, 11:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
or Astrology, or Scientology, or Precognition, or Psychics?

[/ QUOTE ]

As a matter of interest are you the "only great player who doesnt belive in rushes" Doyle Brunson refers to in the NL section of Super System 2 ?
Old 03-23-2007, 03:03 AM

question implies that one must have faith rather than logic to believe in rushes.
Well, I happen to believe in rushes. so I must have faith, and thus must not be an atheist.
Yet the question is actually either not fair or implies a lack of belief in personality changes and the way others perceive the new found RUSHER.
I believe one can have trust in the statistics that are not supposed to change. However, these ever solid statistics float on an ocean of players. and that ocean constantly changes. and a result of the ocean underneath changing....makes the ever solid statistics not so solid as we purists might want them to be.

RUSHES Happen and it works to Play the Rushes and one will profit from the rushes.
You should be statistically sound to win., but you're better to be perceptually sound even more so to win. and that perception takes over precedent of the statistics in this case.

The advantage tilts strongly in your favor when a rush happens. and you should try to continue that rush to the fullest.

that doesn't mean you have to play every hand. To skip one or two solidifys the rush belief in the other players. and also gives yourself some respite from the anxiety of thinking you have to play every hand.

This is relaxing and helps make your mental, emotional makeup stronger and more confident. And when youre more confident and serene so to speak....you can win by pressing the tentative hands your opponents might have......and win by easily folding your hand when your're beat. And thus not pressing for the sake of the Rush. But letting the Rush work out to its full advantage.

I dont think there is a good poker player anywhere that doesn't think of the person who's rushing, "that jackass son of a bitch is lucky. and because of that wont fold when I try to raise.....so screw it I'm just not going to play this tentative hand as hard as I might otherwise"

and there lies one main advantage of the rusher. and its not just a theoretical, mathmatical advantage....it is real and any rusher who doesnt take advantage of it is not playing optimally.

The only caveat to the Rusher is to not take nonsensical risks.

So Rushing is real...whether one is an atheist or a believer.

To get to the athiest point tho.....an atheist is more of a person who would like to associate his motives with the bird who sticks his head in the sand to get away from a situation.

It is always better to be an agnostic if you're not a believer.

Anyway i think Doyle Brunson said it best. I think it goes like. well I know those statisticans and phds can make a point that they dont exist. But I've made millions more than they have. so I'll stick to what I know works and they can do what they like.

I'll just have to side with Doyle.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:01 AM

There was a God of Thunder (until he got busted by humorless scientists) and there still is a God of Rushes. Do you believe in him?