Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2007, 07:06 PM

Default Re: Taking shots at higher limits

[ QUOTE ]
No one wins 90% of their sessions. That's insane.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could do this if you were consciously trying but it would involve a lot of quitting good games which is stupid (basically always quit when you're ahead at all, but never leave if you're stuck unless you've been playing like 8 hours)...you'll have a lot of winning sessions but this won't help you make money!
Old 06-09-2007, 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
always buy in for 20 big bets, $80 in $2-4, and $160 in $4-8. point is, you should pick up a hand within that time frame so you wont go through your stack unless the table is too tough or you're making mistakes and it's better to limit your losses and try again the next day

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, I once had an 8 hour session where I didn't win a single pot, despite getting dealt many good broadway hands, flopping a full house from the BB in an unraised pot, etc...the only hand I won that session was a tell-assisted check-raise bluff, in what was probably the only pot that went HU on the flop that entire time. Running bad does happen.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:05 AM

I've only skimmed a few of these posts, so forgive me if already posted. But before I became a poker player, I counted cards at blackjack. Two quotes that I learned from my blackjack days have served me well in my poker career:

"It is all one long session." - Stanford Wong

And most important - I repeat this every time I have a bad beat, or am running crappy (just substitute the word "poker" for "blackjack")

"In blackjack, you are right when you play correctly, and wrong when you don't. Winning and losing have absolutely nothing to do with it."

- Don Schlesinger, Blackjack Attack, 2nd Ed. (p.8)

So if the game is good, don't use stop losses. Keep playing so long as your mental acuity is intact. If you are tilting, leave. Get a drink, a sandwich, take a walk, have sex, whatever. Just make sure you are properly bankrolled for your limit. The proper bankroll will make all losses easier to take.

Good cards to you.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:34 AM

For live, I don't like to buy in for more than 20BB at a time, just because more chips take up too much real estate on the table and I feel cramped, but I am prepared to buy more chips if my stack dwindles.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

This topic is irrelevant. The point is not to win your sessions. The point is to play well to produce long term results.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not entirely true. If you are playing on a short bankroll (for example, you're not really sufficiently rolled for the smallest game in the room or you are taking a shot at a higher level), it should be acceptable to play in a manner that decreases variance, making you more likely to book a win and less likely to book a loss while sacrificing a bit of long-run EV. I think Sklansky has occasionally noted certain situations where you might play it differently if you have that sort of bankroll consideration.
Old 06-10-2007, 02:53 AM

Taking shots at higher limits:

NOT RECOMMENDED

May 2-4
Borg 10 +1850

May 9-11
Borg 20 +200
Borg 10 +750

May 16-18
Borg 1-2 -200
Borg 2-4 -30 (huge tipping drunken fun)
Borg 10 +2500

May 29-30

Borg 20 -2200
Borg 10 +400
-------------

June 6-7
Borg 20 -1200
Borg 10 +750

There's everything since May. Six Grand in 10-20 and stuck 85BB in about 14 hours of play in the 20.

Anyways I buy in for a [censored] ton in every game.

In the 10 I buy in for $2,000 And if I'm playing in the 20 I usually buy in for that, sometimes 2500.