Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2007, 03:36 AM

Default Re: Which Book Should I Write Next?

lets see, how about you write a book with no math whatsover in it. take it its your biggest challenge david.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:15 AM

I'd buy the algebra book (and share it with my kids). Many of your adult 2+2 audience is now of the age where investing in our own kids is a top consideration.

It is unclear how someone too lazy to read TOP would benefit from a truncated or dumbed down version. From a sales standpoint I assume the Malmuth/Loomis "Fundamentals" series isn't a huge success and it is easy to imagine that "TOP Lite" may face the same fate.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:24 AM

David,

"Perhaps I confused the issue by asking "what is best for the world". I really meant what makes most sense for me."

OK, so in algebra terms:
x = what is best for the world
y = what makes most sense for DS
x = y

hahaha

OK, seriously, even with your clarification, absolutely the algebra book. If you think there's a reasonable chance of this book being as good as you think it could be, then for many factors (importance of the book, amount it will help people, satisfaction for you, and money for 2+2) it is definitely the right answer.

Also, I think that book is much more challenging to do well. I bet I could write a "TOP for beginners" or "50 poker hands" book that would be more or less at the same level as your books. Not so with the algebra book (assuming you are correct about your abilities there).
Old 03-07-2007, 04:58 AM

50 POKER HANDS THAT REALLY TEACH YOU SOMETHING

Clearly, the best potential for combining value with sales volume. Lose that title.

A SIMPLE GUIDE TO "THE THEORY OF POKER"

Clearly, the best potential for sales volume alone - and it's not close. "Renown poker guru finally explains in easy terms the game that is taking the world by storm!" etc. Lose that title, again.

WHAT POKER TEACHES US

Good summer book idea, about poker concepts applied to everyday life - but also in social affairs. As I recall, Mason Malmuth has already written a few worthy essays on the subject, with the term "self-correcting" liberally employed therein. The idea is to have (a) humor in most of it, and (b) one very controversial idea in there (but a correct one!) on which the mainstream media picks up. Whooosh. BTW, I hope this is only a working title.

ALGEBRA FOR TEN YEAR OLDS (And those who think like them).

Tons of books already out with this idea. Do your research and read the best selling crop, before you decide if you truly have something different and original to offer. And you're not too good at coming up with titles, are you?

Mickey Brausch
Old 03-07-2007, 05:35 AM

I know you gave your choices but what I would really like is a good book on short handed games.

Call It

How To Play Short Handed Poker Games Like You Are Ten Feet Tall And Bullet Proof
Old 03-07-2007, 05:37 AM

Should you set up a poll for this question?
Old 03-07-2007, 06:14 AM

50 Hands is the one i see as having the most commercial appeal.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:45 AM

Default \"HOW TO PICK UP YOUNG WOMEN\" BY DAVID SKLANSKY

Why waste your (our) time with all that other stuff? We should have paid attention in math class if we wanted to learn algebra; instead we cut class to go play five card flip stud.

"How to Pick Up Young Women" is what we really want. Why do you think we try so hard to make all that easy poker money? To impress other poker players?
Old 03-07-2007, 07:09 AM

Default Re: \"HOW TO PICK UP YOUNG WOMEN\" BY DAVID SKLANSKY

The algebra book may certainly have the biggest audience in theory, but who knows David Sklansky outside the poker world?

For most people it's just another algebra book to chose from and maybe parents don't want it for their kids after reading about the authors other ventures on the backpage. It could get them hooked on gambling.

Still, I am quite curious how the world's best algebra teacher intends to tackle the subject.

Last but not least, since David is asking the readers of this board to do a consulting job for him to make some money for 2+2, I am asking myself what's in for me in this deal. Could it be the information from the books and if so, why do I have to pay twice for it then?
Old 03-07-2007, 07:39 AM

A SIMPLE GUIDE TO "THE THEORY OF POKER"

This will make surely the most in terms of money, which you will spend generously so it will be the best solution over all.

If I was 10 year old and you buy me a math book I will hate you forever.

The first one, although interesting, will be constrained to a very limited crowd.

50 hands etc: it might be really good, but it won't offer any new angle.

Some suggestions: write a book on SNGs.