Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2007, 10:18 AM

Default Re: Game you are most proud of having beaten

[ QUOTE ]
Nethack. I have ascended various characters from the easier barbarian to a wizard and a rogue. I haven't cheated in any of these ascensions, and have certainly died a bunch of times while deep into the game. The worst death I have had was on the final levels, the astral planes. My first victory came in version 3.2.0. I've finished all subsequent versions at least once. I can sit playing nethack the way some people sit playing solitare or mindlesssweeper.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nethack
"NetHack is widely considered one of the hardest games of all time, due to its intentional lack of a facility to reload a saved game after making a mistake."

I'm looking forward to a new version coming out, there hasn't been one for three years and that can only mean a fairly significant revision is on the way.

[/ QUOTE ]

winner.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If anybody out there actually beat the original TMNT, you deserve a medal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can beat it pretty regularly - if the technodrome is in the tough location its harder but not that bad (I'm not a speed player by any means though).

Other than tmnt - contra/super c (no codes) and Zelda II.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nethack. I have ascended various characters from the easier barbarian to a wizard and a rogue. I haven't cheated in any of these ascensions, and have certainly died a bunch of times while deep into the game. The worst death I have had was on the final levels, the astral planes. My first victory came in version 3.2.0. I've finished all subsequent versions at least once. I can sit playing nethack the way some people sit playing solitare or mindlesssweeper.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nethack
"NetHack is widely considered one of the hardest games of all time, due to its intentional lack of a facility to reload a saved game after making a mistake."

I'm looking forward to a new version coming out, there hasn't been one for three years and that can only mean a fairly significant revision is on the way.

[/ QUOTE ]
I died on the astral plane once before finally beating it the first time. I was crushed. Then I finally beat it, hands shaking as I did so. It didn't help that I panicked and used my wand of Death on Death. "You hit Death with a bolt of death. -more- Death looks much stronger!" D'oh!!

So many great Nethack memories...
Old 03-19-2007, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can beat it pretty regularly - if the technodrome is in the tough location its harder but not that bad (I'm not a speed player by any means though).

[/ QUOTE ]

Tough Location? I remember it being hard and impossible, but I could never get far in the technodrome. Was there some trick to getting the easy location? All I remember is flying space people shooting lasers that were impossible to kill.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Tough Location? I remember it being hard and impossible, but I could never get far in the technodrome. Was there some trick to getting the easy location? All I remember is flying space people shooting lasers that were impossible to kill.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those are inside the technodrome. I mean the location of the boss of level 5, it is in one of 3 sewers chosen randomly. Two of the sewers are pretty short and easy, the third is long and tough. I have heard that it is 50% of the time in the toughest one and 25% in each of the others, but I can't prove that.

The laser soldiers in the technodrome (level 6) are a real pain, it's best to avoid them as much as possible. When you get to the tunnel that is full of them you are very near the end, and many of them can be dealt with by ducking and standing still .. they will come out from the right, possible shoot and miss, then move offscreen to the right enabling you to move forward a bit. Progress is slow. Bringing good firepower (esp. "scrolls" or boomerangs) can help with the ones before the tunnel, that come in pairs and are tougher to dodge.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I died on the astral plane once before finally beating it the first time. I was crushed. Then I finally beat it, hands shaking as I did so. It didn't help that I panicked and used my wand of Death on Death. "You hit Death with a bolt of death. -more- Death looks much stronger!" D'oh!!

So many great Nethack memories...

[/ QUOTE ]
Absolutely, so many crazy situations seem to occur. One of these days I'll start a Nethack thread with one or two of my favorites.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:12 AM

SMB: The Lost Levels without warping probably. Obv made easier on the Mario All-Stars cart because you could save after every level, but it's still not easy.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:19 AM

Goldeneye, all levels and cheats, no contest. I still occasionally dream of the 00 aztec level.

ANyone who says 120 stars on SM64 sucks at games.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

ANyone who says 120 stars on SM64 sucks at games.

[/ QUOTE ]

In all fairness, a lot of us were like 10 when this game first came out.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Goldeneye, all levels and cheats, no contest. I still occasionally dream of the 00 aztec level.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFMFT, I honestly expected this thread to be quote quote quote quote goldeneye. I think I felt more pride when I beat the caverns cheat than when I got my degree.

Wow I'm lame.