Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2007, 01:06 AM

Default Re: This is concerning

[ QUOTE ]
Well, dying by way of black hole will be kewl if nothing else. Your body stretches to the breaking point, literally, you break in half. then those halves break in half and so on.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, basically, what happened to Shaun Livingston?
Old 03-01-2007, 03:02 AM

Yes this is an old story, but it should be a bigger one. Ok, sure, the risk is ridiculously tiny, but given the utter finality of the potential catastrophe, the riskEV is substantial. Destroying the universe would result in the death of anywhere from a few billion to untold trillions of current and future people, not to mention all the alien civilizations we could end up destroying. We also don't know what effect the destruction of our universe would have on other universes, so we could in fact end up destroying billions of universes, each full of people, aliens, Gods, etc...

The cavalier tone at the end of the article is worrying to say the least; hopefully it doesn't reflect the scientific concensus.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:51 AM

Default Organised or maybe not

[ QUOTE ]
I hope they don't blow up the universe. Although an instantaneous black hole death would probably beat dying in a fire.

[/ QUOTE ]As long as they WARN everybody one week in advance, so that that the orgies can be timely organised, it's better than nothing.

Old 03-01-2007, 04:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Seems like this type of technology might lend itself to weapons or transportation...

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, the thing is 17 miles of metal and concrete. I'm guessing not particulary transportable.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
However, the destruction may be very localized; limited to merely our own galaxy.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's a relief.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Seems like this type of technology might lend itself to weapons or transportation... can't think of much more beyond that???

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't, but no sweat. When dudes were first playing with electricity they weren't planning on robots and vibrators. Who knows what fun the LHC could bring?

Besides, don't forget that this [censored] is badass. Even if nothing comes of it, we can feel smart and say to each other "dude, you see that black hole in Geneva? that [censored] was badass!"
Old 03-01-2007, 04:36 AM

this article is pretty dumb, nothing is going to happen, it's extremely unlikely that the lhc will even produce black holes
Old 03-01-2007, 05:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
High energy physics isn't my specialty, but I'm not too worried about this. I think it cuts both ways. If you believe the theory enough to believe that it will actually spawn miniature black holes, why not also trust the theory that says that they are likely to evaporate?

[/ QUOTE ]

I could well be wrong here . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

Turns out yes. A non-evaporating black hole would be the potential problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm seems i may have made a miscaculation (wild by the SEAT OF MY PANTS GUESS MORE LIKE!). I am interested though, if you could tell me roughly in megatons how big an explosion an evaporating black hole will create i am curious
Old 03-01-2007, 07:04 AM

Could someone tell if this doomsday scenario actually did occur about how long would it take to destroy the Earth? Obviously all the destruction after that is irrelevant since we'll all be dead.