Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2007, 09:13 PM

Default Re: Those who don\'t believe in life after death - Why not Kill Yoursel

[ QUOTE ]
Because they value their lives more thinking it is all they have.

Mathematically:

Value of each day is inversely proportional to #days left to live.

Therefore as #days left approaches infinity the value of each day approaches zero.

Or maybe just the "majority group" doesn't have as bad of a life as you seem to think. I doubt if it has anything to do with a fear that they are wrong about what happens or doesn't happen after life. Most atheists are probably more firm in their beliefs than theists IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats an interesting perspective and a valid one, and im sure for some that is a reason..
Old 02-19-2007, 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Does the Bible say no banana-picking?

[/ QUOTE ]

Another great analogy, comparing banana picking to suicide. You must be a lawyer, right?
Old 02-19-2007, 09:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Another great analogy, comparing banana picking to suicide. You must be a lawyer, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. Did you read that post at all? Quick test: Re-read the post that you took that quote from and try and give me a one-sentence synopsis.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
According to Athiest, killing your has no punishment.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's simply wrong and confirms the earlier point about miserable specimens.

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

I meant killing yourself...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, thats what I assumed, but its obvious chez did not. Can you see, now, how taking an extra few seconds and trying to make your posts intelligible prevents confusion? I am the last person to criticize spelling and grammar, but now we've reached a fairly ridiculous point where we are just as confused by your spelling as we are by your thinking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, having started posting here, I am def seeing the difference in how I form sentences and paragraphs then you guys and I need to work on that, it's something I am going to improve on . Thanks..
Old 02-19-2007, 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I am an atheist who tries to do good things because I think it is right, not because it makes me feel good. Calling atheists "HIGHLY narcissistic" just because you cant imagine them any other way is akin to the atheists who say theists are dumb. If you cant imagine how an atheist can do good deeds, doesnt it imply that you have more to learn about atheism? Or do you not see any examples of good things done by atheists?

[/ QUOTE ]

I find this interesting and I'm just gonna give my opinion on it. Your an athiest who believes in right and wrong? Has right and wrong been proven? Is there evidence? It's really just what you think, but why would you think that if there is no evidence to support that there is a right and wrong. Right and wrong comes from the Bible, that's how people determined right and wrong, and from that it became common knowledge, so do you know that some of your beliefs of right and wrong come from the writings of man that say God 100% exist? And if you believe them about right and wrong , why not explore the possiblity of the latter?

This was my immediate thought, would love to hear opinions on this, thanks.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I am an atheist who tries to do good things because I think it is right, not because it makes me feel good. Calling atheists "HIGHLY narcissistic" just because you cant imagine them any other way is akin to the atheists who say theists are dumb. If you cant imagine how an atheist can do good deeds, doesnt it imply that you have more to learn about atheism? Or do you not see any examples of good things done by atheists?

[/ QUOTE ]

I find this interesting and I'm just gonna give my opinion on it. Your an athiest who believes in right and wrong? Has right and wrong been proven? Is there evidence? It's really just what you think, but why would you think that if there is no evidence to support that there is a right and wrong. Right and wrong comes from the Bible, that's how people determined right and wrong, and from that it became common knowledge, so do you know that some of your beliefs of right and wrong come from the writings of man that say God 100% exist? And if you believe them about right and wrong , why not explore the possiblity of the latter?

This was my immediate thought, would love to hear opinions on this, thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think the Bible has always existed? Have you ever read Plato or Aristotle or ANYTHING written by ancient Greeks, Romans, or anyone else?
Old 02-19-2007, 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

And no, your point wasn't extreme. It was just wrong. I really hope you aren't trying to make some grand, analagous point, because you are failing miserably.

[/ QUOTE ]

Consider it a failed attempt then
Old 02-19-2007, 09:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

And no, your point wasn't extreme. It was just wrong. I really hope you aren't trying to make some grand, analagous point, because you are failing miserably.

[/ QUOTE ]

Consider it a failed attempt then

[/ QUOTE ]

Answer the challenging, thought-dependent questions posed to you in this thread, not just the snarky ones.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, I understand the proscription against suicide in most major religions. But are most of you theists just sitting around, counting down the seconds, wishing that you could only cut your wrists? And if not, don't you understand how irrational you are being? You should be driving fast cars, jumping out of planes, intervening in drug deals gone bad, defending campsites from bear attacks, and so on. No matter how great your life is, no matter how much you love your family, these all equal NOTHING when compared to the infinite happiness that surely awaits you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who are the Ad-Wizards who came up with that one.

That's one sentence. But I didn't read whole post so I did just jump to conclusions but I didn't understand that banana comment at the end in relation to the post. Maybe im overloading my brain more then its used to.. Remember, most of you use about 5% of ur brain and im just hitting 1%...
:-)
Old 02-19-2007, 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, I understand the proscription against suicide in most major religions. But are most of you theists just sitting around, counting down the seconds, wishing that you could only cut your wrists? And if not, don't you understand how irrational you are being? You should be driving fast cars, jumping out of planes, intervening in drug deals gone bad, defending campsites from bear attacks, and so on. No matter how great your life is, no matter how much you love your family, these all equal NOTHING when compared to the infinite happiness that surely awaits you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who are the Ad-Wizards who came up with that one.

That's one sentence. But I didn't read whole post so I did just jump to conclusions but I didn't understand that banana comment at the end in relation to the post. Maybe im overloading my brain more then its used to.. Remember, most of you use about 5% of ur brain and im just hitting 1%...
:-)

[/ QUOTE ]

Tne point was that banana picking is a notoriously dangerous profession. If all of the points you are trying to make are true, why aren't all theists outlandish risk-takers? Shouldn't you be itching to die? Every great and wonderful thing in your life is completely meaningless when compared to infinite happiness. Shouldn't you be pushing the envelope of what God would allow? Would you jump in front of a bullet to save a dog? Why not? Shouldn't you be looking for ANY opportunity to hasten your death?