Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2007, 03:56 AM

Default Re: Tim Hardaway: \"I hate gay people.\"

ive always wondered why abused ppl didnt come back to kill their abusers later in life.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He was asked a question and gave an honest answer. His answer just so happened to be very politically incorrect so he will draw heat for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not just "politically incorrect." It's absolutely on par with saying "I hate Orientals" -- worse, even, since what he said is likely to have real negative consequences. If he made some racist comment, he'd be universally recognized as a douche, and that would be all. As it is, he's contributing to the hostile intimidation of gays within a particularly homophobic community. It's already hard enough for gay athletes to come out without a relatively high-profile figure saying flat-out that he hates them and they're not welcome on his team. And it doesn't just affect the NBA or other pro sports -- his message will trickle all the way down to college and high school sports, too, where it's a much bigger problem (if only because of the number of athletes involved).

I know it's a cliché to say that so-and-so set back the movement towards acceptance X number of years, but Tim Hardaway really did undo some amount of the progress that has been made over the past few decades. He's not just a douche, he's a harmful douche.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He was asked a question and gave an honest answer. His answer just so happened to be very politically incorrect so he will draw heat for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not just "politically incorrect." It's absolutely on par with saying "I hate Orientals" -- worse, even, since what he said is likely to have real negative consequences. If he made some racist comment, he'd be universally recognized as a douche, and that would be all. As it is, he's contributing to the hostile intimidation of gays within a particularly homophobic community. It's already hard enough for gay athletes to come out without a relatively high-profile figure saying flat-out that he hates them and they're not welcome on his team. And it doesn't just affect the NBA or other pro sports -- his message will trickle all the way down to college and high school sports, too, where it's a much bigger problem (if only because of the number of athletes involved).

I know it's a cliché to say that so-and-so set back the movement towards acceptance X number of years, but Tim Hardaway really did undo some amount of the progress that has been made over the past few decades. He's not just a douche, he's a harmful douche.

[/ QUOTE ]

on the contrary, i think he's provided valuable ammunition for the gay cause. now gays can point to tim hardaway every time they want to cite a high-profile gaybasher. it's a net win for them.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:07 AM

He had a sick crossover.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:06 AM

He said earlier this year that he would consider returning this year towards the playoffs to play for either the Heat or Lakers.

Guess that dream is over.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I mean, 10% of our population is gay, and AT LEAST that % is gay in pro sports

[/ QUOTE ]
I really wish that I had a working gaydar so I could make a prop bet with you on that.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
link fixed.

Absurdities still remain.

[ QUOTE ]
Coles remained silent about the abuse for years, instead using it to drive him to become one of the NFL's best receivers.

[/ QUOTE ]
lol

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, what a stupid thing to write...
Old 02-15-2007, 09:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow.. homophobic dude from the NBA. Crazy.

Killer crossover people.. killer crossover.

[/ QUOTE ]

whew, man, was that a good move...i actually liked the guy and still do, but man, that was not the right thing to say...doesn't matter if it was his opinion, he deserves to catch a lot of heat for this...
Old 02-15-2007, 09:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

It's not just "politically incorrect." It's absolutely on par with saying "I hate Orientals" --

[/ QUOTE ]

They're called Asians. Rugs are Oriental, you racist. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I can't remember if it was stated here or some reporter said it (think it was Wilbon), a lot of these attitudes in pro sports come from the fact that these guys are coddled from their teen years on and essentially never leave adolescence until they retire. What would you expect a teen to say?

The whole "don't want them in the locker room" thing is stupid. Narcissistic athletes think having gays in the locker room means they're going to get hit on..."Of course he wants my schlong. I'm a pro athlete."
Old 02-15-2007, 09:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
His previous statement was probably "taken out of context"

[/ QUOTE ]

I love it when morons that have no idea what "taken out of context" means try to use it as an excuse. Someone please ask him for a definition of context. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]