Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2007, 01:58 PM

Default Re: The Well: Snakekilla88

[ QUOTE ]
Snake: great well so far, and you seem very "level-headed"

I have questions/comments about your investments and financial pictures since it is never to early to start planning and you said you were starting to research.

I think the first thing you should do is open a vanguard or fidelity account and max out your roth IRA for 2006 and 2007 ($8k contribution by april 07) which means tax free withdrawals on the back end, and this is obviously huge for many reasons especially the fact that your income tax bracket is obviously going to rise from where it is now.

Do you keep the entire $50k on stars, or in a high yield >5% savings?

I am not sure how much of your roll you are looking to invest, but do say so if you want more advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe if poker is his only source of income, he cannot claim 'earned income' and put it into an IRA, someone can correct me if im wrong. Also, its a LOT smarter for him to grow his roll and move up than take 5% on say half of it (25k * .05 = only $1250 annual gain). However, once he finds a limit that he wants to stay at for a while it would than be smart to cash out for investment purposes.

- Snake, I assume your parents pay for school/boarding/food, does that make you feel guilty for letting them and also not telling them you could easily support urself with poker? (not sure that came out the best, just honestly curious)

Nice well,
Matt
Old 02-09-2007, 03:44 PM

What were the biggest adjustments you made to deal with the increased aggression at higher limits (like when you moved from 200 to 400)?
Old 02-09-2007, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am making much more notes, and looking up hh’s and have been happy with my results so far.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is repeated constantly by the good players. It also seems like a logical conclusion. Paying more attention to patterns and leaks in your opponents should lead to more profit. However, there's very little discussion about 'how' to take good notes.

Am I loony in thinking that this is an area I should dedicate study time to? Did you ever consciously notice the quality of your notes improve? Is there any further advice to SSNLer's other than simply take more notes, to help us improve the quality of our observations and our exploitation of them? What observations do you find most exploitable?

Thanks for the well.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:21 PM

hey snakekilla do you have any favorite fish that actually resemble "baby shark's" more so than actual fish? if so, how much money would you say they have padded your roll with?

i was also wondering if you hit it really big and start making sick cash(not that you aren't making sick cash right now - i'm talking like 6 figure months or even weeks or days), would your parents then maybe approve poker? or is it just the principal of gambling online that turns them off?

gl at the tables buddy. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-09-2007, 07:32 PM

Thanks for doing this snake. Got any fun/interesting HHs? Also, I suck at poker and lose thousands of dollars everytime I sit down. Any advice?
Old 02-09-2007, 10:02 PM

Is that beamyourscreen program free?
Old 02-09-2007, 10:31 PM

Nice post [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]Good luck to you [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 02-09-2007, 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What were the biggest adjustments you made to deal with the increased aggression at higher limits (like when you moved from 200 to 400)?

[/ QUOTE ]

I tightened up preflop, and have been more selectively aggressively in certain spots postflop. My stats right are now are pretty nitty, but with that I can make a lot more moves, and get more respect with my 2nd barrels and squeezes. As I have stated before, you will probably get 3bet preflop more then you are use to and the key is to not get frustrated and do something stupid. As you play higher, I think it becomes more stressful, you are going to have days where you take a ton of bad beats, get out played, make the wrong moves, or just flat out play like crap and its incredibly easy to get frustrated and play bad a result. Just don’t do that!

[ QUOTE ]
Do you usually make counterbluffs like rerasing the c-bet or second/third barreling ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Defenitely, I will throw in an occasional check raise bluff OOP against suspected continuation bet but I definitely try not to do that too much. I second barrel a lot more then I use to at 200nl. Ideally you want a balanced strategy and when you play with the same players constantly its hard to get paid off if you play fairly straight forward. Give me a few minutes and I will try to dig up some interesting hands from my database.

[ QUOTE ]
I.ve found that whenever I start raising a 20% of my hands my c-bets are literally smashed and it makes complicated to play as it seems you need to put quite large amounts of your stack in the middle with pretty marginal holdings to keep a balanced game (ie. not raise and fold most of the pots)

[/ QUOTE ]

There are some boards where you just should not be continuation betting, and some boards that require a second barrel. A lot of flops that help J10 type hands, it’s sometimes just not c/b. Players, who continuation bet every pot, will have trouble at msnl and get played back at much more.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have questions/comments about your investments and financial pictures since it is never to early to start planning and you said you were starting to research.

I think the first thing you should do is open a vanguard or fidelity account and max out your roth IRA for 2006 and 2007 ($8k contribution by april 07) which means tax free withdrawals on the back end, and this is obviously huge for many reasons especially the fact that your income tax bracket is obviously going to rise from where it is now.

Do you keep the entire $50k on stars, or in a high yield >5% savings?

I am not sure how much of your roll you are looking to invest, but do say so if you want more advice.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah I keep entire 50k on stars right now, with a few thousand in savings account. As for how much of my roll to invest, I am still thinking about it but probably 5-10k. Yeah, feel free to keep throwing any advice out I’d appreciate it.

[ QUOTE ]

- Snake, I assume your parents pay for school/boarding/food, does that make you feel guilty for letting them and also not telling them you could easily support urself with poker? (not sure that came out the best, just honestly curious)

[/ QUOTE ]
I don’t feel guilty, unless I do poor academically. In which case I would feel like I am just wasting tuition money, and my future. I definitely have reached the point that I can comfortably be able to support myself playing poker, but my parents are well off (not struggling by any means) and as long as I don’t waste what they will happily provide then I wont lose sleep over it.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:52 PM

bday date?

w/r @ 200nl over # of hands?

longest breakeven?