Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2007, 03:34 PM

Default Re: DeathDonkey is in the well

Hey DD --

So I troll the High Stakes forums, and a really common theme there is "making big folds on the river for one bet" -- i.e. 4bet/fold to a 5bet with baby flushes, 1 card straights, 2pair, etc. and frequently a lot of posters argue both ways on the end (whether to call or fold to the 5)

What's your standard line against folding on the end HU in big pots? Or do you typically just get a "gut feeling/instinct"? Do you really feel like learning how to make these types of folds end up affecting winrates much?
Old 01-31-2007, 03:34 PM

DD-

At what point in a poker player's career does it become necessary to hire a coach rather than self study/review?

Are you currently being coached/coaching anyone?

If circumstances/legal issues bring about the demise of online poker, will you continue to rely on poker as your sole source of income?

-Jaran
Old 01-31-2007, 04:40 PM

dd,

what is the meaning of life?

how is it that triple draw has such frustratingly high variance yet is so fun to play?

please describe a concept from triple draw (or some other "non-standard" game) that illuminated or clarified something about your limit hold 'em game.

[ QUOTE ]
recently I learned Badeucey which is a 5 card draw game with three drawing rounds (triple draw) where the pot is split between the best 2-7 triple draw lowball hand and the best 4 card badugi hand where the nut badugi is 2345 rainbow.

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored] sick. where did you run into this game? is the action as crazy as i think it would be?

if you could have the abilities of any animal, what animal would you pick and why?
Old 01-31-2007, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Which 3-4 2p2ers do you respect the most in regards to their play?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ouch, throwing a hardball. For high limit holdem I'll say Schneids, Nikla, and ggbman.

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

Who is Nikla?

[/ QUOTE ]

Search the archives for that username but he never posted too much strategy. Nightmare to have at the table in a shorthanded game though.

I played EQ, a bit of WoW but was about over that stuff when WoW exploded.

Tipping like that is fine if you are just there for fun but if you are counting your hourly rate that's going to kill it. That stuff adds up and makes a big difference and no dealers expect anything more than what I said though they of course would like it. I'm far from the cheap side of the tipping scale as plenty of people don't tip at all and they are abusive to dealers to boot.

-DeathDonkey
Old 01-31-2007, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

How do deal with being card dead for several or more orbits?Do you play through it, quit for that session, other?
<font color="blue"> Quitting the session wouldn't accomplish anything, I play until I'm tired of playing regardless of card catching ability. I tend to play long live sessions, usually 12 hours straight, I haven't yet been card dead for that whole time [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] </font>

You're in a game with more than one tough players or the dynamic is spazzy (maye consider it loose aggressive) with a lot of preflop raising and three-bets. Would you recommend leaving either or in particular in loose game, stay because the pots get big and that's how you make money? <font color="blue"> All games at 100/200 and above can be described this way, and sometimes they are tight and aggressive, you make money in tougher games by playing better than your opponents after the flop. In a micro stakes game you just have to play better starting hands, eventually everyone figures that out and then the real poker begins. </font>

If you're playing well yet suffering from continous bad beats, do you tough it out or perhaps take a break, table change, or whatever?<font color="blue"> If my image is awful as a result its probably best to quit, as people will play more confidently against me and make my life more miserable. If I think that's ok I tough it out, I've bought in pretty deep a few times but in retrospect I should probably have quit, its hard to play your best game after you lose 50 bb live.</font>

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

-DeathDonkey
Old 01-31-2007, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Chris,

Any story behind "Deathdonkey"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny enough, I had this name long before "donkey" was a poker term. Probably 12 years ago, I played Starcraft online with friends, and we had a clan with all funny animal names. I used mine as an email address etc. and it just sort of stuck with me.

-DeathDonkey
Old 01-31-2007, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey DD --

So I troll the High Stakes forums, and a really common theme there is "making big folds on the river for one bet" -- i.e. 4bet/fold to a 5bet with baby flushes, 1 card straights, 2pair, etc. and frequently a lot of posters argue both ways on the end (whether to call or fold to the 5)

What's your standard line against folding on the end HU in big pots? Or do you typically just get a "gut feeling/instinct"? Do you really feel like learning how to make these types of folds end up affecting winrates much?

[/ QUOTE ]

In tough games, the ability to save a big bet can be significant. There are times when you might be getting 20:1 pot odds but in reality you are 99:1 to have the best hand and that's only because the guy might misread his hand 1/100 times. This is more obvious in live poker, where there are plenty of players that when they raise the river or something, they have one exact hand, or the nuts, or you can just be certain you are beat. I tend to not take lines that result in like 3 betting and folding to a 4 bet for instance, because its bad for your image, and if your opponents do start realizing they can make a play like that your going to be in for it.

The reason a lot of posts in high stakes focus on that type of stuff is, the rest of the hand everyone knows how to play, and they are hoping to get that extra edge by making the best decision on the end in a tough situation. Often it doesn't matter too much either way, but what else are they going to ask about when they are already a solid player?

-DeathDonkey
Old 01-31-2007, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At what point in a poker player's career does it become necessary to hire a coach rather than self study/review? <font color="blue"> I don't think it is necessary for anyone, but it can be very helpful and perhaps give you a fresh perspective, or jumpstart a stagnant player's game. I have never had a "coach" that I paid to help me get better at poker, but I frequently play with friends, talk to them on AIM, have them sweat me play, etc. which leads to me hearing their perspectives on my play and sometimes convincing me to change the way I play certain hands.</font>

Are you currently being coached/coaching anyone?<font color="blue"> no</font>

If circumstances/legal issues bring about the demise of online poker, will you continue to rely on poker as your sole source of income?<font color="blue"> Yes I will for awhile, as I really can't do anything for more money than playing at Commerce, much as I would dislike having to play live so much and be away from my home and wife. I hope that doesn't occur as I don't know what else to do really. Of course there are always fallback plans, I have my degree and all that so I'm far from the perils that some younger 2+2ers who have left school to play poker might face.</font>

-Jaran

[/ QUOTE ]

-DeathDonkey
Old 01-31-2007, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're in a game with more than one tough players or the dynamic is spazzy (maye consider it loose aggressive) with a lot of preflop raising and three-bets. Would you recommend leaving either or in particular in loose game, stay because the pots get big and that's how you make money? <font color="blue"> All games at 100/200 and above can be described this way, and sometimes they are tight and aggressive, you make money in tougher games by playing better than your opponents after the flop. In a micro stakes game you just have to play better starting hands, eventually everyone figures that out and then the real poker begins. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry that this question is a little bit vague, but what does it really mean to "play better than your opponents postflop"? Is there some sort of compact answer as to what that entails?
Old 01-31-2007, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what is the meaning of life? <font color="blue"> chinese poker </font>

how is it that triple draw has such frustratingly high variance yet is so fun to play? <font color="blue"> the same reason all the crazy gamboolers want to play it and the mixed games are so juicy, it's an action game with a lot of luck, and degenerates get off on that stuff. It's unlike holdem so its a great change of pace, but there is definitely skill to it, and heads up you can just cut through a player who doesn't understand the game.</font>

please describe a concept from triple draw (or some other "non-standard" game) that illuminated or clarified something about your limit hold 'em game. <font color="blue"> Hmm, not sure if it applies directly to limit holdem, but concepts from other games make your poker theory stronger in general. For instance, in triple draw, if you both draw one on the last draw and you are first to act, your decision to check or bet and subsequent decisions depending on what your opponent does comes entirely from poker theory and if you have no read, game theory. This strengthened my understanding of what to do in river situations in limit holdem from time to time, when I have a marginal hand it might be best to bet against a player who will call with worse or fold better, but check against a player who will bluff too often and never fold a better hand. Sort of a contrived example but for me, poker theory isn't something I spell out explicitly all the time, but just gives me intuition for dealing with unfamiliar situations. Strengthening that poker theory strengthens my intuition and comfort regardless of the game.</font>

[ QUOTE ]
recently I learned Badeucey which is a 5 card draw game with three drawing rounds (triple draw) where the pot is split between the best 2-7 triple draw lowball hand and the best 4 card badugi hand where the nut badugi is 2345 rainbow.

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored] sick. where did you run into this game? is the action as crazy as i think it would be? <font color="blue"> I learned it from 2+2er Newhizzle actually. He was playing it 400/800 if I remember right, but we played it at 4/8 in a homegame so yeah there was a lot of action [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] </font>

if you could have the abilities of any animal, what animal would you pick and why? <font color="blue"> Wow, can't think of anything for this. I guess a fish of some kind, I don't swim so well but I live a block from the beach.</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

-DeathDonkey