Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2007, 04:09 AM

Default Re: My education at the Culinary Institute of America (Year One)

[ QUOTE ]
Also, By your estimation, greater likely hood of having irrational ass-hole behavior: Long Island Emory frat guy or self-important chef under 35?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, that's close!

[ QUOTE ]
I remeber someone in one of my sociology classes senior year mentioning he wanted to go to culinary school;(which stands out) Seems like it had to be you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems possible. I did take one or two soc. classes my senior year. I stand out too - 6'3" and back then shoulder length hair.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:11 AM

All,

Just got back from Mardi Gras, but am heading down to San Diego tomorrow for poker, then back to LA for more tournies. Not sure when I'll get a chance to do year 2, but I'll try.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I earned 9.50 an hour upon graduation. I was offered a sous chef job, but turned it down in favor of working at a restaurant that would further my education. I imagine the sous chef offer would have been $25k-35k.

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW - you must really love the field to spend years in school and then get a job making almost nothing. I am very amazed at the less than $10 an hour pay.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:19 AM

Some high end restaurants are subsidized by hiring people interested in learned "the craft" at low wages.

Other restaurants do the same thing with a ton of mexicans, in my experience the mexicans are usually better.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
CardSharp, would you say the average grad has better, equal, or worse cooking skills than someone who spent two years working in fine dining?

[/ QUOTE ]

While I agree with CSC, I'll add one thing. The 2 will likely have slightly different skill sets.
The guy with 2 years working will know how to produce. He'll be a more accomplished cook. If you were hiring a prep/line cook for a static menu, this is the guy you would probably want.
The cooking school grad is more likely to be adaptable. If you are hiring someone to do more than just cook (actually use his brain), the grad is your guy.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I earned 9.50 an hour upon graduation. I was offered a sous chef job, but turned it down in favor of working at a restaurant that would further my education. I imagine the sous chef offer would have been $25k-35k.

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW - you must really love the field to spend years in school and then get a job making almost nothing. I am very amazed at the less than $10 an hour pay.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't go into the cooking field to get rich.
Why do you think there are many former cooks/chefs here on a poker site? Lots more money in poker.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, everyone in food service basically makes garbage money, which allows restaurant owners to get rich. The good people in food service do it with the dream of being a restaurant owner themselves some day. It's the same model as graduate schools and hollywood.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:43 PM

you can't be serious. restaurants are one of the most dangerous business investments out there.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you can't be serious. restaurants are one of the most dangerous business investments out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Beat me to it.

In Melbourne, Australia. We had a restaurant voted Best New Rest. and received 2 chefs hats out of a possible 3 lots of great reviews etc. They were closed by the end of the year.

Certainly no liscence to print money.