Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2007, 05:56 PM

Default Re: Searched by the cops, unjust?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You can even tell the cop, I have ID but I choose not to produce it. It's illegal to lie to the cop and tell them you don't have ID when you do. Although, it's not illegal for the cops to lie to you. "Just be honest with us and we'll go easy on you." Don't buy it. You don't have to answer any questions that are not directly related to your identity during an investigation (of you or anyone else).

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with what you say, but I don't think you're under any obligation to tell the truth to a cop. You can tell them whatever you want. I mean, you're not under oath, are you? Of course, if you get caught in a lie, you can forget about credibility when/if you ever take the stand and ARE under oath.

If you don't want to show a cop your ID, you don't have to. Don't tell him anything, though. Just give no consent and say nothing. They give you the 'right to remain silent' for a reason. Use it!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ask Martha Stewart.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:07 PM

OP, What town are you from? I live about 45 mins north of Boston and most of the cops are [censored] like you described.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i finished in the top of my criminal justice class and i was fairly certain that almost everything the cops were doing was unfair/out of line/not allowed.

[/ QUOTE ]
They did some routine questioning based on your unquestionably suspicious activity (late night, several young males sitting in a car, probably looking nervous), logically found your story sketchy (not parked in front of your friends house) and found illegal drugs. What part of what they did do you think was out of line? I'm truly surprised you even got a passing grade in that class.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Busted - The Citizen's Guide to Surviving Police Encounters

Everyone should watch this and learn to say "I don't not consent to any searches" and "Are you detaining me or am I free to go?"

[/ QUOTE ]
I was fully prepared to say that I wasn't going to watch some random 45 minute video... and then I did, and I think it was worth it. I don't even do drugs on more than a rare basis, and its still nice to get some (presumably, although I'd rate the cred pretty high) legal advice on just how to deal with cops spouting the usual, "Why'd I pull you over?" BS.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OP, What town are you from? I live about 45 mins north of Boston and most of the cops are [censored] like you described.

[/ QUOTE ]
You mean they don't arrest for small quantities of pot and even rip up a valid vehicle violation after they spent all that time on the stop? What was the word that you censored--something complimentary I hope, or you got some anger/hate/paranoia and/or ungratefulness issues. I think OP ought to be glad one or more of those cops were likely pot users themselves with a low stash and decided to just keep the weed in exchange for letting the possession and vehicle infractions go.