Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2007, 12:03 PM

Default Re: Most difficult games of all time!

[ QUOTE ]
really? I found the enemies to be 10x harder in the second one. And there were many times when I had no clue what to do...one time in particular where you just had to happen to walk on the right square in order to find some item(sorry don't remember details).

[/ QUOTE ]

this is probably my favorite game of all-time. are you talking about bagu? the guy who lives in the woods and gives you the letter to give the riverman to let you cross the bridge?

i can't think of any other hidden places other than for life, magic, or pow bags. (oh ya, 1ups and fairy's too)

if you actually talk to people in the village they'll tell you clues. for example that bagu guy, someone in the village says there's a man that lives in the woods. iirc, there's only one area of woods nearby and it's not that big.

i think it's time to download that and give it a run through again. the last castle is pretty tough, but most of the other enemies can be beaten with fairly easy moves.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ikaruga for GC

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-10-2007, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Guerilla War

[/ QUOTE ]

jopke?

You get infinite lives in Guerilla War....
Old 01-10-2007, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Infocom games, at least, were pretty good at not having these stupid "guess the verb" type puzzles, etc., and most of them gave you enough in-game info to win.

There were still a few, though (Spellbreaker comes to mind) that I can't imagine more than 1% of people finishing w/o hints, though. At least I played these in the good old days when one couldn't just Google a walkthru in a moment of weakness...you'd have to go to the trouble of buying/ordering a hint book, etc., so there was more motivation to actually figure it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Forget Spellbreaker, did you ever play Bureaucracy? It kept track of your 'blood pressure' which went up if you guessed wrong at a command or typo something, and if it goes up too high you have a heart attack and die. Of course, the game also was impossible if you didn't have the original manuals and stuff with it.

Some of the stuff that came with the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was hilarious! They shipped with 'pocket lint', and 'peril sensitive sunglasses' and a couple other things...
Old 01-11-2007, 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Guerilla War

[/ QUOTE ]

jopke?

You get infinite lives in Guerilla War....

[/ QUOTE ]

No. You only get 3 lives, but it gives you the option to begin again where you died. I guess maybe its just semantics.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
really? I found the enemies to be 10x harder in the second one. And there were many times when I had no clue what to do...one time in particular where you just had to happen to walk on the right square in order to find some item(sorry don't remember details).

[/ QUOTE ]

this is probably my favorite game of all-time. are you talking about bagu? the guy who lives in the woods and gives you the letter to give the riverman to let you cross the bridge?

i can't think of any other hidden places other than for life, magic, or pow bags. (oh ya, 1ups and fairy's too)

if you actually talk to people in the village they'll tell you clues. for example that bagu guy, someone in the village says there's a man that lives in the woods. iirc, there's only one area of woods nearby and it's not that big.

i think it's time to download that and give it a run through again. the last castle is pretty tough, but most of the other enemies can be beaten with fairly easy moves.

[/ QUOTE ]

Spoilers ahead if you can still consider them that...

What came to mind when he said that was the part where you have to find either the boots or raft on that maze island. You have to go step into a dead-end to get it. That was the only thing that tripped me up, but there actually was a good hint. Somebody had said "the boots (or raft) are hidden on the island"...I just didn't think that maze counted as an island.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:32 AM

shadow of the beast and awesome (both by Psygnosis) I think Awesome was actually impossible... shadow of the beast was possible but you got 1 life and had to play 90 min without dieing or had to start from begininng again.

I agree the infocom games based on books were just about unbeatable even if you did read the books.

Bards Tale 2.... i finally did buy the cheat book and was pissed off at the stuff you actually had to do to win .... who would walk around a grove of trees counter clockwise 12 times to unlock a secret door????

Anyone old enough to remember the game neuromancer on the commadore 64 .... never could beat that one either.