Saints

Seahawks at Bears:
Bears

NFC Championship
Saints at Bears:
Saints

Super Bowl:
Chargers

Honestly, I don't love picking the Colts, and that's where my bracket would be most likely to go wrong. The WC game could go anywhere from the Colts winning by a touchdown or two to the Chiefs completely dominating. Colts against Ravens would be a good matchup IMO. Not sure how the players feel, but all the Ravens' fans hate the Colts so it could be heated. NFC seems more likely to go by seeding.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:50 AM

Default Re: NFL Playoff Predictions thread

[ QUOTE ]
By the way, Chargers-Saints would be pretty much the most entertaining Super Bowl in exactly 15 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp
Old 01-02-2007, 09:52 AM

The AFC playoffs are a real dartboard to me. The Jets have already gone into Foxboro and won this year. I would think that Belichick will take his being "outcoached" last time pretty seriously and have a new gameplan ready for this game.

The Colts/Chiefs can get pretty crazy as well. The Chiefs have played some solid defense this year and can slow down the Colts. Clearly LJ will run the ball 40 times for 400 yards. If I'm a Colts fan I'm really ticked at the Broncos. This has to be the worst first round match-up they could have got.

If the Colts find a way to beat KC I like their chances of heading into Baltimore. The Ravens still have a team that looks like they would be screwed if the Colts ran out to two quick TDs. Of course the Ravens could also dominate any team as well.

The Chargers have rolled through the regular season. The defense has looked good. LT is great. Rivers has looked pretty bad the past few weeks. He has never dealt with playoff pressure. And Marty Shottenheimer is their coach. This does not scream playoff success. As a matter of fact I think if I wanted to I could make an argument that every team in the AFC playoffs could be playing in February. I think my Chiefs and Jets arguments would be the weakest, but you could still see it happening.

The NFC is a bit more straight forward. I have a lot of friends who are Eagles fans. To a man they are all thrilled to be playing the Giants. That scares me a bit. I know that the Giants have been pretty god awful since they played the first half well against the Bears. But if they give the ball to Tiki like they did on Saturday night, those old horror wounds of Tiki could bite the Eagles on the ass.

I read a pretty funny article last week where a writer was talking about the Seahawks and the Cowboys and had the same comment for both. They are struggling and will go one and out in the playoffs. Of course, now that they are playing could they just both quit?

Also any Eagles fans scared about the NFL WWEing that second round game in New Orleans?

I hate dealing with the Bears right now. They have spent the last four weeks screwing around. Trick plays, strange routes, crazy blitzes. I've never seen a playoff team do this before the playoffs. I don't know what to expect. All I can hope for is that they will be running their normal offense and defense two weeks from now. If they do that for the two games I don't see a team that can beat them in the NFC. If they have screwed with the whole offense and defense beyond repair, they could lose to every team.

All of this is my roundabout way of saying I think it goes like this.

Chiefs
Colts
NYJ
Pats

Pats
Ravens

Chiefs
Chargers

Ravens
Chargers

Giants
Eagles
Cowboys
Seattle

Eagles
Saints

Seattle
Bears

Eagles
Bears

SuperBowl
Bears
Ravens
Old 01-02-2007, 10:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wildcard: Seahawks, Iggles, Patriots, Chiefs
Division: Iggles, Saints, Patriots, Ravens
Championship: Saints, Patriots
Superbowl: Saints

I just like typing Iggles.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just wondering how if the Chiefs and Pats both won how the Pats and Ravens would play again in the AFC Championship game when they would have to play in the divisional round [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 01-02-2007, 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The AFC playoffs are a real dartboard to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, and think it goes something like this

Chargers & Ravens > Pats & Colts >> Chiefs > Jets

of course, the Chiefs are a bad matchup for the Colts, so I wouldn't be shocked to see them win. I would be shocked to see the Jets win @ NE, not b/c the Pats are great, but b/c I just don't think the Jets are very good.

I think the Pats would be quite happy playing the Ravens. I don't think the Ravens would be able to do much offensively, and I think the Pats are just versatile enough offensively to put up 20 or so points for the win.

The Chargers have faults as well, but their A game is better than anyone else's. Now, their A game is contingent on Rivers being an above average QB. if he's not, then all of a sudden they are knocked down a few notches as a team with a great running game, good defense, but relatively 1 dimensional on offense, which great defenses (Pats, Ravens) are capable of slowing down.

I actually think the NFC is more wide open than the AFC. I guess the Bears are the team to beat, but given how many WTF days the Saints, Cowboys, and every other good team have had, not much would surprise me. The Eagles would probably be my #2
Old 01-02-2007, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
AFC Wild Card
Chiefs at Colts:
Chiefs
Jets at Patriots:
Patriots

NFC Wild Card
Giants at Eagles:
Giants
Cowboys at Seahawks:
Cowboys

AFC Divisional
Chiefs at Chargers:
Chiefs
Patriots at Ravens:
Ravens

NFC Divisional
Giants at Bears
Bears
Cowboys at Saints
Saints

AFC Championship
Chiefs at Ravens
Chiefs

NFC Championship
Saints at Bears
Saints

Super Bowl
Chiefs vs Saints
Chiefs

[/ QUOTE ]

You flame blackjack for making weak posts, then you make a post with the Chiefs as SB champs? Interesting strategy.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:15 PM

OK...Pats fan here.

Colts beat Chiefs
Pats beat Jets

Chargers beat Pats
Colts beat Ravens

Chargers destroy Colts

Eagles beat Giants
Cowboys beat Seahawks

Cowboys beat Bears
Saints beat Eagles

Saints beat Cowboys

Chargers beat Saints.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

OK...Pats fan here.

Colts beat Chiefs
Pats beat Jets

Chargers beat Pats
Colts beat Ravens

Chargers destroy Colts

[/ QUOTE ]

We have exactly the same here, which if frightening enough by itself. Picking the Colts to go to the AFC championship is tough because I could see them getting blown out by any of those teams with that run defense if Peyton doesn't have a ridiculous game.