Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2006, 02:24 PM

Default Re: Beat My Grades

[ QUOTE ]
Were 2 good and i didnt get kicked out of school, and I only attended about 2% of my classes this semester, and got a 2.7......Damnit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Serious reply though. Whats the point of going to school if you dont put any effort in? Just because you have a degree doesnt mean people will hire you. I mean, a 2.7 wont get you anywhere. To me it just doesnt make sense to do it half-assed. Do it well so it has some value or dont do it at all. And I realise you dont need a job, but then why are you even in school? I dont need a job but I want to get one because I dont want to play poker forever. Im guessing you have the saem reasons. But graduating with a 2.7 and then taking a few years off to play cards.... gl on the job search
Old 12-21-2006, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Were 2 good and i didnt get kicked out of school, and I only attended about 2% of my classes this semester, and got a 2.7......Damnit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Serious reply though. Whats the point of going to school if you dont put any effort in? Just because you have a degree doesnt mean people will hire you. I mean, a 2.7 wont get you anywhere. To me it just doesnt make sense to do it half-assed. Do it well so it has some value or dont do it at all. And I realise you dont need a job, but then why are you even in school? I dont need a job but I want to get one because I dont want to play poker forever. Im guessing you have the saem reasons. But graduating with a 2.7 and then taking a few years off to play cards.... gl on the job search

[/ QUOTE ]

There are a lot more important reasons for getting your degree than showing your 3.9 to an employer.

First off, one of the more popular jobs for successful poker players is doing something in finance/trading. A lot of these employers look very highly on poker success and realize it requires a similar skill set. They're also impressed when you tell them how you are 22 and have made $x already off poker. They understand you had a weak gpa because you were focusing more on taking adv. of poker while it lasted.

Next, there's the whole issue of starting businesses. There are many ways a degree helps here including making it easier for you to find partners, investors, etc. They're rarely going to ask about you GPA. It's more about just having the degree. It gives you more credibility.

Finally, for me the most important reason is sort of a social acceptance type of thing. I come from a family where all my cousins/brother/etc. have graduated or will graduate and most have/will attend grad school of some sort. Most of my friends have graduated also. When you end up meeting new people through mutual friends or whatever, it's nice to be able to say you graduated (insert impressive college here). They're not gonna ask you your gpa.

If you really plan on working a 9-5 upon graduation or in the very near future, then by all means show up to class, do assignments and get a 4.0. For most very successful poker players though, a 9-5 is not on the agenda.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:56 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
HEY ANSKY AND AHNULD, RECOGNIZE THIS, LOLZ MINERVA

3.94 in my last two years at McGill...because of AP credit I only had to take two polisci courses a semester to fulfill my honors requirement, so I had pretty awesome course selection...

university rules...

I also took two graduate level seminars in my last year so it wasn't all sunshine and moonbeams

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, hiding your cumulative GPA, how come no one else picked up on this?

[/ QUOTE ]

GILDWULF 4 BAN.

rj
Old 12-21-2006, 04:34 PM

SORRY GUYS, 3.65

I AM TEH FAILURE
Old 12-21-2006, 04:56 PM

What was peacebuilding like?
Old 12-21-2006, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

pretty awesome, we did a week simulation of an actual conflict, i was US secretary of defense and bombed the [censored] out of everyone...awesome
Old 12-21-2006, 05:04 PM

wow some of you guys take easy classes [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-21-2006, 05:08 PM

I thought it might be something like that. I was going to ask whether your guys invaded everyone resulting in the A-, but foolishly reconsidered.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

pretty awesome, we did a week simulation of an actual conflict, i was US secretary of defense and bombed the [censored] out of everyone...awesome

[/ QUOTE ]

power hungry/war monger jew. Quel Surpris.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:21 PM

ur a joke.