Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: $100M or $100B
shot at $100B, that's $10B EV, baby! 1 1.79%
$100k + shot at $100B 0 0%
1M + shot at $100B 8 14.29%
5M + shot at $100B 10 17.86%
10M + shot at $100B 13 23.21%
25M + shot at $100B 13 23.21%
if it's 25M or less, just give me the $100M!!!! 11 19.64%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-14-2006, 12:59 AM

Default Re: # of tables question for the forum

I honestly don't know how anyone plays more than 2 tables short handed effectively. Is this because I'm 40? I still feel my mind is quick and sharp but if you guys can do 4 effectively, I guess I'm not as sharp as I could be.

I really feel I need to watch the hands I'm not in to get the best feel. Stats alone aren't enough. And there is no way to do this playing more than 2 tables.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:59 AM

I dont use stats cause I play at WPEX. I also find stats to be a crutch for real reads. Real reads are much more useful to me and force me to pay attention.

I'm not sure how anyone can not use notes. But go ahead and play how ya like.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:05 AM

this is stupid and way blown out of proportion. notes dont do [censored] FOR ME. why? i dunno but looking at geo's list i can easily make all those reads without notes.

fwiw, i rarely took notes in school either.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:58 AM

You can make those reads because you remember how the guy plays, or because you use his stats to figure out how he plays?
Old 12-14-2006, 02:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You can make those reads because you remember how the guy plays, or because you use his stats to figure out how he plays?

[/ QUOTE ]

both.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:32 AM

The new "mathematics of poker" book talks about the difficulty of getting reads on your opponents by both methods of direct observation and crude statistical measures (vpip, etc) near the beginning of the book. Recommended!
Old 12-14-2006, 05:22 AM

the thing about notes is i am very hesitant to place a note on a player unless i am certain it is correct, mainy times i have played with the same player who one night is playing 60/40 and the next 18/12, unless you have a huge sample size it is hard to tell if they are tilting/running good bad etc. and many a times i have thouht some body was a huge fish, determined from both play and stats only to find out the oposite and vice versa, 1K hands later.

I think being able to read how a particular player is playing at that moment is the most important things, also taking reads from how a player plays against another player at the table cannot be no good as well (for instance if he called down somebody with Qhi, doesnt mean he will play this way against you)
Old 12-14-2006, 07:24 AM

Geormiet's examples are excellent. One thing I'll say is I might take a note from a hand and then find out later that was an anomaly type of hand and my note is way wrong. Then I think how did that effect the hands we've played since I took the incorrect note and I wish I just played my "default" way. But sometimes certain notes definitely influence me. I'd say more than stats which I rarely care about even though I collect and use - for instance playing short handed I play just about the same way against a 28/20 and a 40/30.

-DeathDonkey
Old 12-14-2006, 09:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think being able to read how a particular player is playing at that moment is the most important things

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. That goes for both stats and notes. I used PAHud for a while myself but i feel i got more distracted and mislead than helped, actually.

My notes now are basically restricted to "tag", "lag" and "fish", which implies their default play. Then I adapt that to their behaviour that particular day/session if they diverge.

PS: With "fish" I usually mean loose-passive. I know lags can be fishes aswell [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-14-2006, 09:49 AM

[img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

Options->Advanced multi-table options->Single click table activation.

You've seriously multi-tabled without this one enabled?