Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2006, 05:07 PM

Default Re: Ask me about being Valedictorian

[ QUOTE ]
Blarg,

HS Valedictorians often cheat their asses off. Mine did. So did the Valedictorian of the class before mine.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL mine got kicked out first semester for cheating, if I recall correctly.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know a lot of engineers that were bored in English class. I know I slept through mine. So I have to agree with this one but not for the reasons you assume. Forcing an Engineer to major in English is like putting a former Marine that served in Iraq and is now playing college football in a balley dance class. It just doesn't work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh depends on the person I think. I was an engineer with a minor in creative writing. I really enjoyed my writing and literature classes and looked forward to them as a nice break from the rigors of physics and digital circuits.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was not even close to being class valedictorian.
On the other hand I didn't choose a Major that tested how well you can read books.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's probably the reason.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:14 PM

i'm sure this has been asked already, but...

if you're smart enough to be a valedictorian, how could you think posting this would be a good idea?
Old 12-10-2006, 05:27 PM

Also, the ability to write well is one of the most important abiiities in several professions - it definitely is if you want to be an attorney.

The fact of the matter is that few majors have any practical use in the real world. Being able to write well is one of the few exceptions. Sure there are others - CS, Engineering, and some others - but being able to write well is pretty much helpful always.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

HS Valedictorians often cheat their asses off. Mine did.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT
Old 12-10-2006, 05:37 PM

this really should be in bbv
Old 12-10-2006, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
not entirely what i meant to say. doing well in engineering school takes a different skill set than what english requires. however, many who succeed in engineering could also perform stongly in english. the opposite holds true much less frequently.

for your average person, it is infinitely more difficult to do well as an engineer than as an english major. if you were to compare the mean IQ levels between the 2 fields, i am sure you would find a shocking disparity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where are you coming up with this stuff? Is it just your theory or do you have anything to back it up with? Sure, engineering leads to better employment prosects but I don't agree that it takes more intelligence. BTW, I have a degree in engineering.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, the ability to write well is one of the most important abiiities in several professions - it definitely is if you want to be an attorney.

The fact of the matter is that few majors have any practical use in the real world. Being able to write well is one of the few exceptions. Sure there are others - CS, Engineering, and some others - but being able to write well is pretty much helpful always.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true. A college degree, for most majors, just means you know how to learn, and stick to something for a long time. But having the ability to compose one's thoughts well and maybe even persuasively, and then having the writing skills to get all that across, comes in pretty handy in all sorts of professions. Lots of jobs require you to write reports or at least frequent memos. Every time that happens, there's a chance to fall behind or get a little ahead -- maybe way ahead -- of people's expectations.

And, as always, everything you do gives people a chance to rank you among your peers.

People being considered for higher positions in some competitive companies become judged for how well they blend in and can communicate with important, high-level clients. Great language skills can be a nice way to distinguish oneself, and poor language skills can make one stand out as being probably forever lesser grade, as language skills aren't acquired quickly. And poor language skills also suggest an overall lack of polish.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You mean ballet, or belly?

[/ QUOTE ]

The T is just left to they Y. So I meant ballet. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] But Belly, Bally and Balli dance will work as well.