Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2006, 01:57 AM

Default Re: How Come No One Says Stuff Like

Because people like to stereotype the way they perceive life, lest if they analyze it rationally they may discover something they think they don't want to know.

It's sort of an ironically irrational defense mechanism of human reasoning, as far as I can see.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So many are not getting it. I could have picked other subjects. My post is simply another way of pointing out that people are making a big mistake, in my mind, when they argue one side without goving the other side its due. I say such tactics reduce the chances of persuading others.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your OP has flaws as an example. But I think the point you make above is an important one. Most people are more concerned with promoting their position than in being fairminded. Politics as commonly practiced is propaganda rather than a search for truth.

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems to me that most argumentation is about winning or at least saving face, rather than coming to a better understanding. It's pretty easy to get by in life without doing any real thinking, especially original thinking, about most anything that isn't directly job-related, and that's the choice most everyone makes. So our discussions tend to be one ignorant, egotistical guy spouting his preconceptions and comfortable notions and prejudices toward another guy doing the same, and not really engaging in any level but one of ego dominance. Which is probably the underlying subject of almost every argument.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Because people like to stereotype the way they perceive life, lest if they analyze it rationally they may discover something they think they don't want to know.

It's sort of an ironically irrational defense mechanism of human reasoning, as far as I can see.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite true. Usually we think of things in the way that will flatter us most or make us feel most comfortable.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:17 AM

All the arguments in this thread discussing embryos as 98pts or 0 pts are missing the point.

Whether you agree with abortion rights or not, we can all agree that at some point a fertilized egg becomes a life. Once its a life its not 90% of a life or 50%...its a life. For those that say its only once the baby is born consider this. If that child had to be delivered by C section a day before and it it was and it came out and was just fine was it any less of a life one day earlier merely because it was still in the mother?

At some point it becomes viable and at that point its tough to say abortion is anything short of murder. I dont know what that point is but it does exist. Also I dont really have a strong opinion on this one either way as its a tough issue.

Just as a side note in China any unauthorized births were terminated by forcible abortion. The preferred method was a syringe of formaldehyde into the baby's skull just as it was crowning from the mother. If it took a breath then it was a Chinese citizen and could not be aborted although that does not keep many Chinese fathers from killing their newborn a day or two later

nice country
Old 12-11-2006, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

So why doesn't anyone have the guts to say stuff like that? Especially considering the fact that this is approximately what most people (including for the most part me) actually believe.

[/ QUOTE ]
Our government has been saying this for years. Perhaps you should move to amsterdam...

You should add: Regulated prostitution zones with registered, tax-paying working girls is better than sending them back to the streets to perform illegal activity. And, regulated, taxed drugs are better than all the indirect and direct crime they cause when illegal, with practically the same user base. *shrug* some countries just don't get it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-11-2006, 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So many are not getting it. I could have picked other subjects. My post is simply another way of pointing out that people are making a big mistake, in my mind, when they argue one side without goving the other side its due. I say such tactics reduce the chances of persuading others.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mr. Sklansky, your idea is logical but flawed; you are making assumptions about politics and ethics. You assume that the masses read and understand the issues, opposed to being lead by headlines and sound bites. You assume that politicians are ethical and open to true discussion of the issues. It would be better to think of our political arena as a high school debate where the judge via the court of public opinion rules on whom created the better PR campaign. It’s all about presentation not the substance of the issues at hand. There is hope for the future; in 2008 Atlas Shrugged will be released as a major theatrical release staring Angelina Jolie if this film becomes popular maybe folks will wake up…..
Old 12-12-2006, 03:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Killing miniscule babies ... is worth doing in certain circumstances.

[/ QUOTE ]Your mind is racing ahead of your fingertips, which is to be expected. But you gott start reviewing your posts before setting them up.

Words and accuracy are important. The foetus does not qualify as a baby! As a matter of fact, this is where the whole argument resides. Because killing a baby (grand or minisucle) can not be that blithely justified.

You wonder some time why people cannot get the message you are imparting; well, consider for a moment that it may not be all their fault.

Mickey Brausch
Old 12-12-2006, 04:29 AM

I'm pretty sure these paragraphs were meant as examples of what a person might say in typical dialog (if he were being logical and honest with how he truly felt). They weren't meant as David's actual choice of words, if he were laying out a pro-choice argument. I don't really see the point of such semantics.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:14 AM

No Black I'm not making it a point to go after everything you say tonight haha [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
First, I believe that the awkward situation that the child is put in and the social stigma they will receive will severely harm most children psychologically. I don't think this should even be considered an option in a child's formative years. If gay couples want to adopt teenagers who are past their formative years I suppose I can't argue with that, but there is too much risk of harming psychological development in a child's very early years that I think gay couples should be excluded from those adoptions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm by no means an expert on this. However, I'm not aware of any scientific study or knowledge that would say a child would be psychologically harmed by a loving gay couple. I would say the risk for psychological harm is the same as any heterosexual marriage. The ONLY knowledge I would have in the subject is a kid from my hometown grew up with two gay parents and he got teased for it and what not, but was overall very much normal and fine. I think the psychological trauma would be much higher from any nasty divorce or any type of abuse than merely the fact that his/her parents are gay.

[ QUOTE ]
Secondly, at least in the world of male homosexuals, monogamy is a rarity. The risk of disease is very high and the environment to raise a child is lacking. Neither of those makes for a good situation in which to bring up a young child. There are of course monogamous gay relationships in which a healthy child could be raised, but those are much more rare and frankly the adoption system doesn't have the resources to investigate the matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this is true. Although my knowledge is limited to the few gays I know on campus, monogamy isn't that rare among them and their friends. I think the idea of gay people just screwing around with as many people as they want is either starting to become a thing of the past, or is overstated. Also, I wouldn't consider many homosexuals that would adopt as not being in a relationship. I would assume (like the number for heterosexuals) the number for commited couples would be significantly higher.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:23 PM

Sklansky,
U have big balls. I really respect the fact that you are willing to make such bold comments publicy. I do disagree with your definition of abortion. You are essentialy terminating a "possible life form" (it may never be born)and of course whatever is being terminted is un aware. My mom and dad are highly educated in that feild so I was raised biased to that contention.

For that gay issue i laughed. I agree with you. Gay people although strange to me are valuable to society(not becuase they are gay). being gay is not their defining characteristic to me. I think that there are plenty of children that could use parents period.

Your next post has to be a dumb pollock joke! saavy.