Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2006, 03:22 PM

Default Re: ask KDawg about Jazz

[ QUOTE ]
I also did a few elliot smith songs, of which angeles and miss misery came out decent too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I'd really like to hear some of these.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

as far as David Murray, I hope he's lying in a ditch somewhere. he's a one trick pony thats been long played out

[/ QUOTE ]

no one brings the love/hate quite like david murray. why do ppl either love this guy or hate him?
Old 12-05-2006, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

as far as David Murray, I hope he's lying in a ditch somewhere. he's a one trick pony thats been long played out

[/ QUOTE ]

no one brings the love/hate quite like david murray. why do ppl either love this guy or hate him?

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't listened to him in many years, but in the late 1970s and early 1980s he received quite a bit of hype. Perhaps that turned off some people.

I used to really enjoy the World Saxophone Quartet, though. But he may have been my least favorite in that group.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

as a saxophonist, he brings down the instrument IMO. Does he have some talent, sure, but so does joe saxophonist playing at a tiki lounge in denver. I am constantly shocked at how on earth he had/has anything resembling a decent career. I guess he just knew the right people

[ QUOTE ]
I used to really enjoy the World Saxophone Quartet, though. But he may have been my least favorite in that group.

[/ QUOTE ]

I pretty much listened to the WSQ just for Julius Hemphill. He was amazing and i was sad that when i started to get into them, he was gone. o yea, add oliver lake to my pantheon of utter disdain along with david murray
Old 12-05-2006, 04:56 PM

No love for Arthur Blythe?
Old 12-05-2006, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how do you keep from burning out and getting bored with jazz?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll take a shot at answering this. I will periodically get in a rut and get bored with some aspect of music, and for me the thing to do when that happens is to focus on a different aspect of music. like I might get bored and not feel like practicing for a few days, but if I go out and listen to some great live jazz I often come away inspired and driven to practice more. basically though I have enough areas of interest (classical, jazz, etc) and things to work on (sightreading, improvising, transcribing, composing) that I never really get bored of everything.

[ QUOTE ]
How do you refrain from playing the same rhythmic or melodic ideas too often when you solo?

[/ QUOTE ]

this is an interesting question, I never try to consciously refrain from doing anything when soloing (other than maybe thinking [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ), but I do notice when I'm repeating myself when playing a tune. when I notice I'm playing the same kinds of ideas, I'll do a number of different things to try and get out of it. some suggestions are:

- play the tune half as fast as you've been playing it

- ignore the chord changes for a tune and just play the melody, trying to play it in my own way. every single musician I like is a master of just playing a melody beautifully and personally.

- play the tune in a different key or different time signature

- learn someone else's solo on the same tune. I do this the most out of any of these.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:17 PM

rate James Carter please.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
rate James Carter please.

[/ QUOTE ]

heh. heh. heh. ummmmm, where to begin. He's obscenely talented, but yet is obsessed with being a jack of all trades-master of none and doing stupid saxophone tricks. One of the best solos i ever heard him play was on the Kansas City soundtrack(moten swing IIRC) and it was a simple solo, nothing glitzy, but just great phrasing and well thought out ideas. The problem being, is that he doesn't do that type of stuff all that often, and should also just concentrate on the tenor since that seems to be his best instrument(with teh bari a very close second). Generally he is style over substance and while he may put on a show that you think is good, when you think about what he played and how he played, you are left feeling like you got gyped. Joshua Redmem was this way after his first two albums(which were really good and still hold up) and he has gone back to the vibe and substance of his first two albums in the past few years
Old 12-05-2006, 07:52 PM

how james carter ruined my life is a great article about a young james. I have played with him only at jam sessions, he's obviously a great player especially in that setting but I don't really dig his albums.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:18 AM

Location: coaching poker and writing \"Professional No-Limit Hold\'em\" for Two Plus Two Publishing with Matt Flynn and Ed Miller

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I also did a few elliot smith songs, of which angeles and miss misery came out decent too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I'd really like to hear some of these.

[/ QUOTE ]

Madeline Peyroux's version of "Between The Bars" is good...(a "pop song done 'jazzy'" that I actually like)....