Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2006, 11:26 PM

Default Re: Top 10 Movies of the 1990s?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think Happy Gilmore is the greatest comedy I've ever seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you die a slow miserable death...waht a gay statement

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah maybe Candyman will come get me. horrible movie
Old 11-28-2006, 11:27 PM

Candyman >>> Sandler
Old 11-28-2006, 11:30 PM

You're incredibly immature and insecure, and should learn how to read, I did not say you use drugs, just that you act like a stereotypical 'teenager' who had seen The Matrix when he was all of 15 and were all like ZOMG Awesome!!111!!!1

I hope your crap taste in films improves, though. Have fun having the last word, my work is done here.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:32 PM

i like really like barton fink, but fargo may be better overall

additional suggestion:

all about my mother
Old 11-28-2006, 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The imdb list is surprisingly not horrible. We probably don't want to give Fincher two slots, though, and let's just forget about American Beauty.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMDB is horrendous for ranking films over time. 17 of the top 39 films are post 1990, which is insane.
The Professional is ranked 41st, above
To Kill a Mockingbird
Chinatown
M
Treasure of the Sierra Madre
Maltese Falcon.

Sin City, which is awful, is ranked ahead of
Some Like It Hot and
Raging Bull, and

Aside from the fact you can vote 100s of times without having seen *any* of the films whatsoever, any ranking that has Sin City as #67 alltime is, by definition, absurd.

Besides, as we all know, popular <> best. Vanilla Ice was popular. Milli Vanilli was popular and won awards. Etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

While you are correct that popular does not equal best, it does give a good indication however. The beatles are popular, Nirvana is popular, Zeppelin is popular. Are you saying those 3 bands are not good, if not the best in what they did?

Also, the fact that 17 out of the top 39 movies are after 1990 is not surprising given that the % of voters above the age of 30 is about 30% (IMO). So it's no wonder that's the reason for it.

Plus, it doesn't matter what makes up the top 10, because IMO, it doesn't matter since as long as you make a long enough list (say top 500) then all movies get their due and credit. Plus it's also impossible to have a #1 movie of all time because all people are different and it's impossible to find a movie that touches all people.

By the way, while I agree that putting Sin City at #67 is absurd, it's definately in no shape and form, a bad movie.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're incredibly immature and insecure, and should learn how to read, I did not say you use drugs, just that you act like a stereotypical 'teenager' who had seen The Matrix when he was all of 15 and were all like ZOMG Awesome!!111!!!1

I hope your crap taste in films improves, though. Have fun having the last word, my work is done here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amazing, you're correct in something. I am insecure. Maybe immature at times, but who's calling who out here? Nice job derailing the topic to my life.

Since I'm 22 now, and matrix came out 7 years ago, yep you're right, I was 15. Although I dont think I saw it theaters (can't really recall). So let's say I was 16 when I saw it.

Are you saying people 16 years of age are not allowed to have their own opinions on movies?

Also, how about the fact that, 6 years later, I still enjoy Matrix. I mean, doesn't that account for the test of time factor?

Also, good job. You've successfully killed your own thread.

Mods, please * this guy.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:41 PM

Dark City is one of the few 90's films on Ebert's Great Movies List.

Apparently, I'm not the only one who recognizes it's greatness, but I don't know how critically acclaimed it is in general. I stick by it and I'm not some shortsighted college kid who thinks every movie that comes along is the greatest ever. Here are some of my all time favorites for context:

Passion de Jeanne D'Arc (Passion of Joan of Arc)
Ladri di biciclette (The Bicycle Thief)
Yojimbo
Gone with the Wind
Old 11-28-2006, 11:43 PM

How is Donnie Darko not on anyone's list? Best movie of the 90s...
Old 11-28-2006, 11:44 PM

Jeff,

You probably already know this, but Dark City is also one of the few movie that Ebert has done a feature-length DVD commentary for. The others are Casablanca, Citizen Kane and Floating Weeds.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:44 PM

There are a lot of retards in this thread, movies are not somehow scientifically determined, so if one guy puts something and you dont agree with it, you sound like a pompous, jerkoff, douche bag, if you call him "retard" or a "kid" etc, becuase, who made you the opinion police? Like, if the question was, what is 2 x 10, and someoen said 13, and you called him a retard, thats fine, but arguing opinions just makes you seem douche baggy.